No announcement yet.

Abbreviations

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just me ! I just send 2 text messages if it won't all fit in !

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

My favourite is WYSIWYG = what you see is what you get
      The law will hang the man or woman
      Who steals the goose from off the common
      But lets the greater thief go loose
      Who steals the common from the goose
      http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

HTH - hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
          Thought I'd put this here but maybe it should be in Top Tips!!

How about we construct a list of regularly used abbreviations for those who may be new to this forum/computer stuff. I know there are some I still struggle with and it can leave you bewildered cos you can't follow the comments fully.

OK so I'll start with this.....

LOL = laugh out loud.
          Thanks EB, I always wondered what it meant, but felt too embarrassed to ask. I did think it might be "love you lots" but it didn't quite fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
            I know it's just me, but I find it sad that people don't have time for words and phrases but have to communicate in alphabets. I know so many people who tell me they don't have time to cook, or garden, or take the children anywhere, or do anything. Do we really only have time to communicate in alphabets - or is there a point I've missed ?
            Hi Alice, I know exactly what you mean. I have a mobile phone (eventually after the children nagged), and I use it for calls and text messages, but I hate the "predictive text" function - I prefer to put proper words in instead of "sort of shorthand" - it doesn't take much longer, and your meaning is always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
              Hi Alice, I know exactly what you mean. I have a mobile phone (eventually after the children nagged), and I use it for calls and text messages, but I hate the "predictive text" function - I prefer to put proper words in instead of "sort of shorthand" - it doesn't take much longer, and your meaning is always clear.
              I always type my texts in full too - possibly comes from being a typist. Elder son keeps telling me it is old and boring to type in full, with punctuation and capital letters but to me it is just the way I type. However, when texting to OH in germany, the texts cost 3 times as much so I do sometimes shorten things. To be honest though I quite like the LOL, ROFL things as they are fun rather than something I see as abbreviations.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

RTFM....."Read The Fing Manual."

The two IT ones are

C18......Code 18.....User error....as the users is 18" from the PC. We use that all day.

or TWAIN.....Which is the Scanner Driver and stands for Technology Without An Interesting Name.
                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Nog, how about FBKAC?
                  Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                  Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                  I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Well, as I said, I don't like all the abbreviation stuff, but I quite like this one TGIF - thank god it's Friday.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Failure Between Keyboard And Chair.....

Of as we use all the time

OTPAU.....Off To Punch A User.
                      My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

If you ever play Doom (the first and the best Kick-Ass game) or even watch the film, there's a BFG weapon...I'll let you work out what it stands for !
                        Last edited by Snadger; 23-02-2007, 10:07 PM. Reason: err...i got it wrong again!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Doom....great
                          Half-Life....better
                          We finished work one night went in the training suite and set up a networked Half-Life game....one of the blokes got up to go to the toilet and came back and said there are some users out there....thats odd at 8pm users still in the building........so out we went and it was 8am....we had played all night.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                            Well, as I said, I don't like all the abbreviation stuff, but I quite like this one TGIF - thank god it's Friday.
                            I'll second that one Alice

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              If you ever play Doom (the first and the best Kick-Ass game) or even watch the film, there's a BFG weapon...I'll let you work out what it stands for !
                              I always thought the BFG was the Big Friendly Giant, please don't disappoint me

Comment

ATM = At The Moment
                                Blessings
                                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X