No announcement yet.

A minor achievement

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done. It's really hard when everyone else is drinking. I have 'given up for Lent' a couple of times, and the money saved went to a charity (and it was worrying quite how much that added up to....)
    Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Gratz Piskie, having been in a similar situation myself a long time ago (drinking had gone from being a social thing to something else, a coping mechanism for problems at that time in my life), I can say I feel much better now! I dont need drink, but if we fancy a glass of beer, a glass of wine or a nightcap of spirits, then we have one, but although we have plenty of booze in the house, we rarely touch it! I'd be lucky if we have more than 5 units of alcohol a month!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Lent and Advent for me - it just breaks it up. These days though, a glass is enough. We actually do recork (or rescrew) the bottle.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Well done you. Not a minor achievement at all! Quite a big one, with 'social engagements' and the like.

I don't have the same capacity for wine since not drinking whilst pregnant and breastfeeding, but still love it and would miss terribly a glass or two in the evening.

Like Janeyo says, maybe when the children are older, I'll follow your example...
          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Well done, Piskie!

I try to restrict my drinking, fo all the same reasons as you. What I tend to do now is have no booze Mon to Thurs, I'll allow myself to drink Fri & Sat, and Sunday can go either way, depending on mood, or whether we're doing anything!

Sadly it's true, you do feel much more alert and energetic the next day if you've not been drinking
            Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
              that is a heck of a lot of dosh
              Not where I live it isnt

Good effort though Mrs, I come to work for 4 weeks and dont touch a drop, but when I'm home I just dont have the willpower not to.

Chapeau, as we say where I live!
              Last edited by Nicos; 22-07-2010, 12:36 PM.
              Bob Leponge
              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

If you've been downing a bottle every night then it was definitely time to cut it out so well done on you. I used to go out a drink quite a bit when I was in my 20s but since I've been more settled we don't tend to drink much at home, very rarely in the week and sometimes not at weekends unless there is a social reason. The worst we got was when we started buying wine boxes so that we could just have one glass on a week night but it never ended up like that so we stopped buying them

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Oh those boxes Alison!! I remember trying those in the assumption that I could have one (or two) glasses and not have a 'bit' in the bottle to call at me.

The box got emptied just as quick
                  aka
                  Suzie

Comment

Well done!
                    We have those boxes - 'nuff said
                    I do love a glass while I watch Neighbours and Home and Away. (yes, I did move to France....... but I love the sun and hunks!) It gets me in the mood for the big evening cook!

Comment

definitely don;t have wine boxes....

well done, I have volunteered to drive at weekend to help my liver dry out a bit before holiday looms..

It's amazingly how capacity for wine creeps up on you.

Comment

Well done Piskie! I enjoy a drink just like everyone else, sometimes I volunteer to drive to and from a few social occasions, which is no big deal, and I find it quite enlightening (sp?) to watch everyone else when they've had too many scoops.
                        Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 22-07-2010, 03:53 PM.
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

First of all Piskie. Welcome home Snowdrop.

Next..congratulations Piskie for your willpower. It must be great to know that you are in control.

2nd next.... I drink at lot (a bottle a day) but don't know if that is too much. I do not suffer in any way for my imbibing. I can afford it (with homebrew). It takes the edge off other peoples problems I am unable to control. Stops me worrying unduly about my hangups. I might try an abstinence but for what reason. I suppose just because I can. Tomorrow maybe..........

Comment

From a mostly non-drinker's point of view... I hate going out these days because everyone seems like a total prat after a couple of hours! And it's no fun at all living with a heavy drinker when you don't...

It is quite worrying, even on here, seeing the extent that people rely on alcohol. Really, really, really pleased that you're doing this Pisk, if you need encouragement just shout

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
                              ....I might try an abstinence but for what reason.
                              For your (long-term) health maybe?

I understand that 'they' plucked a number out of the air when they first decided that 'we' needed a units system to control us - but I think over time it has proved to be somewhere near as good as anything - and that one bottle of wine a day is too much for ones liver etc.

I may be wrong on that - I can't back it up with any clever science stuff, but it's worth checking out I guess
                              aka
                              Suzie

Comment

Good girl Piskie, keep it up!
                                I rarely drink & then only one glass of wine or half a pint of beer/cider as it tends to make me feel ill/fall asleep if I drink more! It is depressing though when you're out & you see people around you getting drunker & drunker & louder & louder & you're stone cold sober & wish they'd shut up. We were out a couple of weeks ago at night & I'd just had a coke & a fruit juice, O.H. a pint & a coke & we watched as a very pretty young girl walked through the bar, projectile vomited, walked on a bit & did it again & then just carried on as though nothing had happened! Seems to be accepted as the norm nowadays though.
                                Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X