No announcement yet.

Food shopping.......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BrenGirl lol! My sister came home from Asda with a "finest" steak and kidney pie, crisps and precious little else.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      I do most of the shopping in our house and have noticed a marked hike in food prices this year.
      I now seem to frequent the reduced counter more and more in an effort to save money.
      I really think I should change my shop from expensive Tesco's to one of the cheapies, Aldi or Netto for instance, and probably will do in the near future.

If it wasn't for my OH who is a bit faddy I would like to try an experiment JUST buying food from the reduced counter. I always call in every day after my allotment visit so this would be an interesting project. Anyone tried it?
      No, but I know someone who does... she shops towards the end of the day, it means that she goes more often but it's on the way home from work anyway - works for her. I like to plan ahead a bit more and get a weeks shopping in one trip... if some things happen to be from the reduced counter then that's a bonus.
      pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

I also shop in the reduced section when i can.

i have a huge chest freezer which really has paid for itself. If i see a bargain (only something i would use) then i bulk buy and freeze.

I use some basic items as in...sainsburys dishwashing tablets, i mix basic washing powder with say a box of surf (or whatever is on offer) makes it go longer.

I also shop in lidl for basic food store items...tinned tomatoes, kidney beans etc. The fruit in our lidl doesnt seem to last too long, but i freeze what i can.

I batch cook every so often and freeze single porions too. This saves a lot of waste and greed (My Oh would eat much more than he would need too)

Going down a brand in some things is worth while. I have used tesco (not basic but next up) cornflakes and put them in a kellogs box.............no one even knew the difference. this is a loy of trial and error as some things just dont taste nice and i stick to the brands.

I have an on going list of what i have in the freezer/fridge and food cupboard and unless i see a good bargain or i have room in the freezer, i only buy what i put on the shopping list. I have a few "use up" days per month, where i go through the fridge and use up anything that needs it....some funny meals have been had here

I have made the mistake in the past with going shopping when hungry without a list, buying too much and wasting too much.

So, i stick to my ways now....saves me money and saves waste too.

I do agree that portions are smaller now, but prices are the same. I carefully work out and BOGOFs to make sure they are a bargain and sometimes these things are still cheaper to get 2 of else where. I rarely buy BOGOF's if i wouldnt normally use the stuff.

My local chemist has toothpaste and toiletries on a 99p offer every now and agin, so i stock up on those when on offer.

the pound shop has branded coffee and a few other things (mainly meant for the continent) for almost half price elsewhere, so i also stock up on these.

I am lucky as i can go to the butchers, chemist, lidl and tesco all on the way. Tesco being about 6 miles away, so i make my list and save on diesel.

I do a food shop online rarely...basically only in an emergency...and even then it is only for basic items...i prefer to go and see whats there and i can also choose myself.

i also bake as much as i can for the little uns....no shop bought buns beat mine

My methods may seem very regimental, but i HAVE to be so organised having a child with special needs. I have always to be prepared. Having batch cooked meals in the freezer means we get to eat dinner on those days when it has been challenging with my son...................................This has made me a more frugal, organised woman........................which i like.

When i was a lot younger i used to use EVERYTHING before the use by or best before date I have learned not to do this. I am careful with some things(like chicken) but having the freezer means i dont have to worry about this.

I save up the crusts i have to cut off my sons bread/ make breadcrumbs, and keep adding to the bag in the freezer for making stuffing etc.

I kinda get a thrill when i get a bargain or something reduced which can go in the freezer.

I love to cook and cook a fesh meal everynight (have always done that, unless son has had a bad day which is less often these days)

I think we can all be a bit more frugal with our ways. I feel lucky in that i was brought up with 6 brothers and sisters so my mum had to be frugal. She grew our own veggies and we kept chikens, so a lovely upbringing.

Today, some people dont know they are living with all the "so called" convenience. It doesnt take that much time to cook a meal everynight and you know whats going in it. Its more cost effective to cook your own meal but some people say their lives are too busy and opt for "convenience" When i see one of those ready meal things in the shop, i always think to myself...OMG, i can make that for mush less and have plently leftover to freeze.

Organisation and careful planning is the key.

Sorry, i went on much too long there. I just feel good about being frugal. I get the same high as i do growing my own veg.

Back to OP question, yes it does work shopping in the reduced sections and in cheaper supermarkets. I think you get to know your own supermarket and know when best to go in and get the reduced stuff.

I passed a butcher one day on the way out and saw 6 sirloinn steaks for £5....i quickly made a u turn and called in to get them. There was nothing wrong with them, good thickness, it was just that they had to be sold (maybe coming to pass their best. I bunged them in the freezer, leaving 2 out for dinner that night and my Oh loved them ( he loves his steak)....so i pass the same butchers and look out for what they have on offer.

Thats my (long input) My Oh calls me "The frugal Queen"

VM
        If someone has lost their smile, give them one of yours. :

Children seldom misquote you. In fact they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Comment

Originally posted by Veggiemama View Post
          It doesnt take that much time to cook a meal
          Hello Frugal Queen from Frugal Julie
          I don't plan meals ahead much, but I base all meals on what's ready in the garden, with meat on for Himself (usually something I've picked up cheap, cooked & frozen).

He has gourmet tastes if I'm cooking, but if He cooks for Himself, he does microwave soup.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Hello Frugal Queen from Frugal Julie
            I don't plan meals ahead much, but I base all meals on what's ready in the garden, with meat on for Himself (usually something I've picked up cheap, cooked & frozen).

He has gourmet tastes if I'm cooking, but if He cooks for Himself, he does microwave soup.

Hahahhaha, that made me laugh, my Oh is the same. On a weekend, if i have had a lie in, he wont make himself breakfast til i get up. Nor will he cook a proper dinner. When i was ill, it was just as well we had batch cooked meals in the freezer or i would have starved!!

VM
            If someone has lost their smile, give them one of yours. :

Children seldom misquote you. In fact they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Comment

Our nearest supermarket is Sainsburys. It'ss not the cheapest, but when the only thing we need is milk, then it's cheaper on petrol.

Recently, a Waitrose has opened here. I love it, and wish I could afford to do my shopping there all the time...however, late Sunday afternoons and early Wednesday mornings are best - they have HUGE reductions then. Main shops are done at Asda, Aldi & Lidl.

We are lucky in that we can also go to Costco and buy a lot of things in bulk for a lot less - loo rolls, washing powder, fabric conditioner, cereals, milk (we really need a cow with 6 of us) and quite a lot more. They also send out regular 'on offer' coupons. The downside is that when there is a price hike it really goes up by huge amounts.

I think the key is shopping around. There are things I'm very fussy about and would rather make at home like savoury pies and cakes, and I hardly ever buy convenience foods - not with 6 of us - but I'm lucky as I do have time to spend cooking and married to an ex-chef I don't have to cook every day.

Food is important in our house. We hardly drink and we don't smoke, so that extra saving gets spent on food. The children will eat anything and everything as BH had them trained at an early age, but I'm a fussy eater in comparison.

Jules
              Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Thinking about finance and maybe the chancellor who has to produce the budget for the nation I also regard the 'housewife' to be the one responsible for the family ecomony. To keep our families well nourished we must use every means at our disposal to reach that aim and possibly a little left over for a luxury. We must not be morons ready and willing to fill others pockets out of our hard earned wages. We must not be manipulated into believing what they say is good or bad for us.

Comment

I'm well known for being tight.

Bulk buying is our best friend but we do earn enough to be able to stock up and don't run such from paycheque to paycheque.

Last year we bought 12kg of Fairy washing powder (sensitive skin and I'm allergic to most things) and still using it. I use less than half the recommended amount and if something is dirty stick cheapy soda crystals in. Also bought 200 dishwasher tablets when they were on offer. Loo rolls bought in biggest size available and dished out. Stepsons seem to use it as it's going out of fashion so tempted to stick value rolls when they are about but OH thinks that is a step too far.

Food shopping is based on whatever is reduced. Waitrose on Mon/Tue evenings just before closing time and Lidl as well. I use to buy all free range/organic stuff but things are so expensive now and since we're buying reduced, I'm saving the food from being binned so salves the soul that they didn't die in vain.

Whatever vegetables we don't grow is from Lidl or the market at closing time. Everything is turned into something.

I have no shame about shopping in Lidl, the quality is just as good, they have excellent salamis and hams. Some of them better than waitrose.

Any bread not baked at home is bought at the reduced counter.

It's obvious more people are now economising, the reduction counter used to be less popular and we were able to get more, now it's a mad rush with lots of other people you never expected.

Comment

My local Tesco is a small one, but only five minute walk away. I tend to go every couple of days..first stop reduced section, if theres anything there of interest I build meals round it.
                    About once a month we head for Barrow which is bigger and has asda, aldi, netto, morrisons and lidl. Usually I go to morrisons, its cheaper on the brands we use because we really notice the difference. And its yellow label stuff is ok, cant stand their baked beans though. I look for mark downs and offers, work out cost per kilo and get the cheapest. Top up on cleaning stuff and canned stuff which is way cheaper than the Tesco. Fortunately we both love rice and pasta, which can make a good meal cheaply. But it helps that I make my own sauces (even curries) and having been a pub chef most of my life am used to getting maximum taste for minimum cost.
                    As for washing powder..most 'good' powders can be used at roughly half the recommended amount without altering the quality of your wash, honest. Varies a bit from machine to machine. Never use tabs they are the most expensive per wash. I use liquids cos my top-loader loves them, but again, half quantity.
                    Some things just have to stand the cost though..Marmite is irreplaceable for us both, and although I will use others when we are totally (as against just normally) skint. typhoo t-bags are the ones I prefer.
                    Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

I ignore sell by dates too......if it tastes ok, looks ok, smells ok then it gets used.

I realise why we have sell by dates but I'm also convinced that these dates are used by manufacturers as a sales aid.

Jules
                      Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Originally posted by Veggiemama View Post
                        my Oh is the same. ...When i was ill, it was just as well we had batch cooked meals in the freezer or i would have starved
                        Lol!
                        When I got knocked off my bike last year, the Sainsbury delivery turned up just as the policeman carried me home. The delivery guy kindly took all the bags into my kitchen and would have put them away, but I said leave them, OH will be home soon.
                        Well, those Sainsbury bags stayed on the kitchen floor for 3 days until I was able to walk again

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
                          I ignore sell by dates too......if it tastes ok, looks ok, smells ok then it gets used.

I realise why we have sell by dates but I'm also convinced that these dates are used by manufacturers as a sales aid.

Jules
                          I agree Jules. The only one that really matters is the "use by" date. "Sell by" is for stock rotation and "best before" just means it may not taste as fresh. Having said that, we've eaten stuff well past its use by date and it was fine. Plus we managed fine in the past before we had them.

Phil
                          Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

Am having to adjust how we eat too. Am very pleasantly surprised at the moment by Lidl, and hoping to change to a mix of Aldi and local shops (to include the pound shop which I am told has good cleaning products and toiletries) for everything apart from the brand names I need to eat from day to day to stay healthy. I am also getting much better at using all the leftovers.

As far as the reduced counter goes, I don't really have a large enough freezer for my bulk meat buy (reduced prices on Mondays at the local butcher), my leftovers, the garden things that are freezable And the reduced things, but will be trying if I see anything reduced that I could cook from (though won't compromise on meat quality unless I absolutely Have to).

I remember my mum feeding us a lot from the reduced section - we used to run around and spot the yellow stickers! So it must work well! Mind you, it was several years into adulthood that I realised that battenburg cake is actually soft.

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                              there's a lady on another forum, down the lane, her names meanqueen on there. You should read some of her shopping extravaganzas. I think she feeds herself for less than £10 a week, with veggies from her garden and reduced item food.
                              I hunted her down (took 2 seconds actually), and it was well worth it. I have spent all morning now looking through her blog. She is amazing, her crafts are incredible. What she creates from junk!

I am definitely going to keep an eye on her blog. Thanks for mentioning her Taff.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

I stopped using supermarkets for normal shopping a few years ago although do a shop every few months for loo roll etc. Tend to buy meat when I see it at a good price so rarely pay full price and don't use much either. Very rarely buy veg now so plan meals around what we're cropping etc. Make bread and milk is delivered. Buy washing powder etc in bulk off the t'internet and don't go shopping much so haven't really noticed an increase in price which is good but also make sure we use things up before they go manky (never bother with dates on things, use common sense) and batch cook for the freezer for convenience meals on busy days.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X