Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Read This Months Prospect Magazine?

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If every one on our site had a pond I wouldn't bother as there would alreday be plenty of frogs. Seriously what a commotion.

Our pond is tiny and positioned on a bit of land that before we took it over from the lovely 'old timer' was pretty much an embankment of weeds and compost - so not really a waste eh?

More importantly I feel so lucky (and smug) that our site is nothing like the one portrayed in this article. One of our 'old timers' quite obviously thinks our pond is great as he was frequently nebbing at the wee taddies and commenting on how fat they were. Another long standing member recently asked about them too.

On our site we have oldies, young trendies, familes, women and no one seems to have issues with how others do things. There are so many different styles going on, raised beds, edged beds, neat and tidy rows, hotch potches, weedy areas and no one goes around sticking forks in other peoples ponds.

The aforementioned veteran today asked what the stench was after we watered our toms with comfrey tea. When we explained he proceeded to extract the proverbial out of us 'younguns' with our 'new ideas' that we read about. It was all good natured, jovial and contained not one ounce of malice. This article made me realise how lucky we are to have a plot on such an open minded, tolerant and varied site.

Comment

Originally posted by General Woundwort View Post
      I do. If I didn't know what summat was like, I wouldn't dismiss it as a cushy number.
      Who dismissed it as a cushy number?

Comment

I found you rarely change peoples opinions by writing at them. Results say more than arguments re the pond thing, and if all else fails, a big stick helps

I didn't read the article, I wasn't about to subscribe in order to read something that would make my blood boil.

Comment

growing area is at a premium partly 'cos of frog ponds.
          Manure.
          No frog ponds on our site (I know of 3 but there are probably more) are bigger than a bath tub: because that's what they are.
          You could fit what? 2 PSB plants in that space: and get 2 weeks of food from it. Hardly a massive waste of growing space.

I think you just have an axe to grind because you can't get an allotment...?
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Inflammatory 'essays' such as these serve no other purpose than inciting ill feeling and stirring up tensions betwix people who have a common interest.

To view allotments in isolation to the environment is remiss of any gardener - regardless of skills, longevity or class.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
              Inflammatory 'essays' such as these serve no other purpose than inciting ill feeling and stirring up tensions betwix people who have a common interest.
              Given some of the comments on this thread, I can't help thinking that's the idea.

*sigh* Just when I thought it was safe to return to the Chat forum.
              I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Horrible article, that's all I'm saying.
                "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Never have I been so relieved to not do Yoga...I'd be getting mighty paranoid by now

Like Womble I have no inclination to add to the discussion,just wanted to assure anyone who's contemplating getting a lottie that the article doesn't represent the 'norm'.
                  Our site is blessed with so many different people/ideas and styles of gardening.....and on the whole evryone's accepted and left to do things the way they wish
                  the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Responding to Alison, but not picking on her (well, not excessively), public/council/communal land requires all to submit some of their individuality for the group: otherwise, what's to stop everyone having a pond?, which goes well beyond pest control.
                    As already said by somebody else, the size of the average wildlife pond is so small that I couldn't really fit a lot of crop on that land, especially as it's partially shaded by a cooking apple tree (presumably that's OK?) so is actually the worse area for crops on my plot - guess why I chose this area?!? I work hard on my plot and as a result feed myself and OH with a wide variety of healthy and seasonal veg and fruit throughout the year. I'm proud of this and in no way waste the opportunity which I am well aware that I'm lucky to have. My plot is my plot to farm / garden as I choose, yes, I should take into consideration my fellow plot holders and as a result wouldn't for example put things on the boundary which would shade my neighbours however it would be a sad place if we all did it the same. Do you think we should only have a communial pond perhaps? Should I ask the other plot holders if I want to grow an purple pea rather than the regulation green ones? Please calm down and realise that we all have a common interest here in that we care about growing and can learn a lot from each other even if we chose not to copy their methods

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                    Never have I been so relieved to not do Yoga...I'd be getting mighty paranoid by now
                    Oh heck, don't do yoga (and certainly could never teach it, don't have those skills) but do pilates, is that just as bad? Always thought it was a bit of social fun that helped my dodgy balance and strenghened my core but am now worried it's actually a subconsious statement about society as a whole

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      ...am now worried it's actually a subconsious statement about society as a whole
                      ROFL - you 'hippy' you
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

Okay, put the one about frog ponds down to poetic licence. Zazen's site disallows sheds and greenhouses, and this makes as much (or mas little) sense as disallowing frog ponds. For a start, there'd be the risk of toddlers drowning if the place looked like a bayou.

I guess I was het up about hearing of middle-class mates (one of whom taught yoga) letting the plots fall fallow after only a few years. Not all middle-classes are like that, of course... one went straight to growing easy and nuticious stuff like potatoes and onions and beans and carrots (to each their own, I kept loosing mine to carrot-fly), as opposed to 'exotics' like capisicums and stuff which belonged in a greenhouse in this climate.

This was the HF-W effect. The expectation that a hip 'n happening smallholding was going to appear overnight, without lucrative C4 and book deals.

Please calm down and realise that we all have a common interest here in that we care about growing and can learn a lot from each other even if we chose not to copy their methods.

ALISON
                        I have no beef against Grapers. I do have, though, beef against the organic types I mentioned from my previous plot (and their fellows alluded to in the article) who wanted to restrict others from using artificial fertizilizers and pest-control; just so they could have their 'holy' food.

I think you just have an axe to grind because you can't get an allotment...?

TWO-SHEDS
                        There ain't waiting lists here; just lack of interest. But, I've found a site and am in touch with the local council about setting it up.

Who dismissed it as a cushy number?

ZAZEN999
                        You responded to Two Shed's tongue 'n cheek remark about Tesco's cut-price range with the statement that the benefits system was similar. If you weren't saying those on benefits are comfortable with their positions, I apologize, but it was the way it looked.

Comment

Not all middle-classes are like that, of course... one went straight to growing easy and nuticious stuff like potatoes and onions and beans and carrots (to each their own, I kept loosing mine to carrot-fly), as opposed to 'exotics' like capisicums and stuff which belonged in a greenhouse in this climate.
                          Oh dear, I grow peppers too although most of them are in my polytunnel and work very well. Ate one last night for my tea along with cucumber and lettuce from in there too. The lettuce, radish and peas were from outside though but they are grown in edged beds

I have no beef against Grapers. I do have, though, beef against the organic types I mentioned from my previous plot (and their fellows alluded to in the article) who wanted to restrict others from using artificial fertizilizers and pest-control; just so they could have their 'holy' food.
                          I garden as organically for many reasons and would certainly complain if my neighbouring plot holder let chemical fertiliser run onto my ground or sprayed weed killer close to the boundary on a windy day and I can't understand why they need to resort to buying such products (if you practice crop rotation and encourage wildlife then you don't need them and they're a waste of money in my oppinion but hey hoe!) but if they want to use these things acutally on their own plot then I wouldn't say anything.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                            ...and would certainly complain if my neighbouring plot holder let chemical fertiliser run onto my ground or sprayed weed killer close to the boundary ...
                            Same here

Oh dear, I'm sounding like an Alison cheer leader
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Oh dear, I grow peppers too although most of them are in my polytunnel and work very well. Ate one last night for my tea along with cucumber and lettuce from in there too.
                              I have cucumbers and chillis on my windowsill as well! My point was this is summat I've done for some time, and that the local climate at my previous site was somewhat against such outdoor growing.

~*snipples* but if they want to use these things acutally on their own plot then I wouldn't say anything.
                              Aye, there's the rub. Newcomers were/are objecting to others using them on their own plots. I agree it would be inconsiderate to 'pollute' other plots, but there's the implication that if there were wind dispersal without your noticing you'd end up eating the 'tainted' food without suffering ill-effects.

I understand that organic regulations allow for certain metals to be used in fungicides, allowing build-up in the soil.

There actually is an organic food company called Holy Food.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                                Same here

Oh dear, I'm sounding like an Alison cheer leader
                                Gimme an "A"...
                                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X