No announcement yet.

how self sufficient are you

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm- yes i think so too; the other thing is that women didn't go out to work as we do now. certainly in my family it was washday on mondays, and reading or watching tv was totally frowned upon as a waste of time, although it was ok to do in the darker evenings. for myself, i am organized, but i seem to focus on one goal at a time, rather than be able to juggle many things at once; maybe i would be better if had lived earlier on, when i didn't have to work full time as sole bread winner, as well as run it all at home also! ( also, as self employed, i often work on until later on in day, and find that time flies, rather than doing set hours, and then coming home to do my own stuff, so that it takes a back seat) and i have to admit that in the evening, by about 9:00 ( still some wasted daylight left!) i am ready to flop on the sofa with a book or a dvd, but i will probably have been on the go with only a couple of short breaks, from when i wake up. i just cant help but sometimes feel, after reading some of the posts on here by the more productive posters, that i am missing the oppertunity of being more productive and selling surplus, or even covering my own costs ( such as selling eggs to cover cost of feed) i really dont know how people do it all!

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
      I'm not quite as old as my grandchildren think I am, but I remember my Mum and my Gran doing their housework and gardening. They were organised. I know it sounds a bit trite, but there were days for doing things. e.g. Monday was washday, and all the washing got done on that day, clothes, bedlinen, everything. I think these days we spend too much time on things that aren't really necessary (TV for example). If you really want to be self-sufficient I think you have to cut out the unnecessary to make way for the necessary or you will never have enough time.
      Totally agree....I know I could fit in a lot more if I was more organised

When I was growing up my neighbour/Auntie was a typical Country Girl and I'm still amazed at how much she managed to fit into a day...but her day would start as soon as the sun was up and the Cockeral started crowing and I can't remember ever going round to find her sat idle.

Like most,we're not anywhere near self sufficient,but we do well with our veggies and this year I have raspberries coming out of my ears so will need to get making some jam.
      We also keep hens so have eggs and also at present have four boy chicks that will be raised for the pot.
      Am also contemplating getting some meat birds in September to fatten up ready for Christmas.
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I don't really produce anything other than a nice garden to sit in and last year some potatoes and tomatoes. This year just tomatoes as something ate my beans. I do work full time though and between me and dh we support the nations children, sick, old and unemployed through our taxes! And we spend a lot, so contribute through VAT aswell. We don't have any children and so far (touch wood) have taken very little in the way of benefits or resources from the 'elf service. So I feel we do contribute to the world whilst taking little but in a different way from someone who is self sufficient food-wise.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X