No announcement yet.

caught on cctv

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As everyone else has said. It's a no brainer.
    I can't understand why you are even wondering what to do. Thieves are scum and deserve to be caught. If you have evidence that can help do this then you should give it to the police.

Comment

Just for clarification; were the toys on your property or in the street?

If they are on your property were they behind a clear "barrier" - ie fence?

I only ask because round here the "people of no-fixed-abode" who drive past in their flat-back lorries feel that they can assume anything left at the front of the house has obviously been put out for their collection and they help themselves!!!

If the items are large/heavy and will take them a while to load it or they can see a householder they do normally ask if it is OK for them to take.

So far I've had:-

- a radiator disappear while we were decorating the kitchen.
      - three different chaps stop and offer to get rid of my cast iron bath (I just told them I wanted the scrap value and each bloke had to increase his offer until I got what I wanted)
      - a chap who offered to take my old washing machine away if I paid £5; even though I only intended to take it to the tip I declined his offer and it disappeared overnight anyway
      - a chap who took away loads of chipboard I had when I ripped out old wardrobes; he did ask first though.

I always make a point of letting conversation be drowned out by my "barkey and dangerous" dog though!

EDIT: forgot to say that because of all this I make a point of leaving nothing of value at the front of the house!!
      Last edited by teakdesk; 02-07-2010, 11:09 AM.
      The proof of the growing is in the eating.
      Leave Rotten Fruit.
      Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
      Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
      Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

the price for scrap metal is very high now- thats why the radiators and bath went! to be honest- i take things out of skips or if it is put out on the kerb- however, i always knock and ask; i even offer to pay. if no reply, i would either put a note through letter box, or try again later, but i wouldnt take it .

personally if i leave something ouside , i realize that there is a chance it could get nicked, although i was caught out a few monthes ago, when i hoovered out the car, and left the machine outside by kerb. when i finally needed it again, i couldnt find it anywhere, and realized what had happened, but i blamed the rubbish men, as it was rubbish day, and i had left it just by the bin!

conversely, the heavy metal axle and springs from an old trailer, which is too heavy for me to get in my car to take to scrap metal merchant, is still at the end of my drive.

the cheekiest theft i have heard of was last year when i had a nieghborhood watch message on the phone to say that an aga had been taken from a barn conversion building site overnight. those things wiegh a ton, and the barn in question was miles down a dirt track- i dont think it was travellers; it is probably now safely installed in one of the brickies kitchens imo ( apologies to builders everywhere- i just cant see how anyone else could have known it was there)

Comment

It doesn't matter how much things cost it is still theft and i think you would be doing folk a huge favour to dob these persistant crims in, hand over the tape.
          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

the police have been around today to collect a copy of the cctv
            they will be sending it away to see if they can get the reg number of the van.

we will have to wait and see what happens
            Last edited by green thing; 06-07-2010, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Good on you for handing the tape over. I do understand your concern but I hope something comes of it and that you worries are unfounded. Good luck and let us know if there's an outcome.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X