Life without oil

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
    I remember the days when chips were fried in beef drippin (much tastier) and were bought by the 'aporth. I'm right behind the others on the way out.
    And they was wrapped in newspaper as well....jacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I know someone who is a competent hunter. I know a few edible wild plants, and I can grow at least SOME food.
      Biggest problem would be storage. No fuel, no freezers (or even fridges) unless we can sort out some 'renewable' sources.
      Also no plastics, not much paper, less fabrics (I bet they didn't cover all that stuff).
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Well, if (or when) it happens I guess we will all have to go back to eating stuff that is in season instead of importing "luxuries" from abroad and/or storing in the freezer. Back come the jams, pickles, chutnies, salted veg and meat.

Comment

They didn't cover anything! Had a couple a year on from no oil, sitting on chairs on a cut lawn drinking out of glasses.

Now, how are you going to cut a lawn without a petrol lawnmower (would you even bother) and where is the water going to come from? Still maybe the rivers will be cleaned up then, so we could actually drink the stuff.

That's why if it did happen, I think it would be much worse then most think it will, vast amounts of people dying off in the UK.
          Back to medieval times population, what was that, a couple of million?
          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I blame BP myself............
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
              I know someone who is a competent hunter. I know a few edible wild plants, and I can grow at least SOME food.
              Biggest problem would be storage. No fuel, no freezers (or even fridges) unless we can sort out some 'renewable' sources.
              Also no plastics, not much paper, less fabrics (I bet they didn't cover all that stuff).
              Thats why houses used to always be equipped with a pantry on the north facing wall!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

It would be a challenge I could rise to..............but I'd have to give up my day job!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I saw the tv prog...twice thanks to my family and the Sky box.

It was terribly depressing in that way that these documentaries relish, but it did make you think. My grandparents, both sets, faced poverty in the war, but they managed to feed their families. My parents, in their seventies, remember a lot about the war and the hard times before and after, so I think we'd need to take a leaf out of their books. After all, that wasn't too long ago was it?

Jules
                  Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Living without oil would not be that bad people did it before so there is no reason why we cannot do it now. You would cut the lawn with a pushmower, solar light could be use so it would not be back to medieval times, people could cycle more or walk more, we could have horses which would take us about. So all in all it would not be that bad the only thing the will be missed is the Grapevine and Buses

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by RoadCar View Post
                      Living without oil would not be that bad people did it before so there is no reason why we cannot do it now. You would cut the lawn with a pushmower, solar light could be use so it would not be back to medieval times, people could cycle more or walk more, we could have horses which would take us about. So all in all it would not be that bad the only thing the will be missed is the Grapevine and Buses

Daniel
                      Solar light couldn't be used, because it can't be made without oil, nothing can and our infrastructure is run on oil, everything is. We can't survive as we are without it.
                      Don't kid yourself. Think about your life and see what is in it that you need to survive that oil doesn't provide.
                      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                        Solar light couldn't be used, because it can't be made without oil, nothing can and our infrastructure is run on oil, everything is. We can't survive as we are without it.
                        Don't kid yourself. Think about your life and see what is in it that you need to survive that oil doesn't provide.
                        Just to support Wombles statement.

Anticipating a life without oil - by Malvika Bose - Helium
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

A few more links for any that are interested!

Peak Oil and Permaculture: David Holmgren on Energy Descent | Energy Bulletin

Peak Oil, Matt Savinar, Life After the Oil Crash

Wolf at the Door
                          Blessings
                          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X