No announcement yet.

Would Mega bucks make you happier

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SIZE="2"]Just a thought. A few years back I met a young girl who had just won £300. on a scratch card. She was deliriously happy. I met her again a few weeks later and she seemed a bit down so I asked her if she had treated herself with the windfall. Yes she said I bought some more scratchcards

Comment

Like everyone said - money in itself is unlikely to 'make' anyone happy. But it does give you headspace to think about the things that DO make you happy, instead of worrying about things...

Personally:
      I'd like to be able to live somewhere bigger, or, make this house bigger, so that my 2 boys don't have to be crammed into a room that's just barely bigger than a single room.

And it would be nice to be able to get my car fixed or buy the kids school uniforms & shoes, without having to worry myself sick about it.

Day-to-day, we manage okay though - all the bills are paid on time, and we can keep the house warm etc, we just don't have enough left over to save much (mebbe £20 a month if I'm careful), and what we do manage to save usually disappears within a couple of months because of birthdays, lottie rent, school trips etc...

We're stuck in a sort of trap at the moment though, with the Tax Credits system, if the OH earns more money, they take it off the Tax Credits we get, and we don't actually end up any better off. It's very frustrating! Although, of course, I'm grateful for the tax credits in the first place - without them we'd be starving and/or freezing.

Comment

Umm, its a toughy isnt it. For me I would like some money but not megabucks. For me I would like enough money to be able to pay to get OH the best treatment to help him get a great life and to be able to open my own business. You know the usual bits, I wouldnt like lots of silly money, I dont want big flashy holidays or an extravagent life so it would enable me to do the things I would like BUT in itself it wouldnt make me happy. It would enable me but not complete me if that makes sense, so no for me but I could understand how that would be construde as making you happy
        http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Originally posted by binley100 View Post
          Who worked hard and lived in a little house where he had to share a room with six brothers...........
          That's a maybe but according to the Disney film they were all mining jewels and Snow Whites coffin was made of crystal and gold so they weren't short a few bob either

Comment

[QUOTE=Flummery;689553]True Snadger. I've never bought a lottery ticket. I've never backed a horse. I've had a hand-to-mouth existence when we first got maried, and even then we didn't crave money. We now have enough, through not spending huge amounts, not through earning or winning huge amounts, that we can buy anything we want. We still don't manage to spend it all.

My Grandad used to say, "A man is rich according to the fewness of his wants" and the old chap was right![/QUOTE]

Is this the same Grandad who used to water his toad in the corner of the greenhouse?.......or did I imagine that?
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I do the lottery every week and it doesn't matter how much a win is, I'm so broke I'm always happy with it. I also like doing the lottery because I never check my tickets immediately and take the time in between buying and checking to daydream about the possibilities that might happen if I won.

Stacks of money doesn't make people happy but it gives them the opportunities to make their lives happier if they so wish to do so.

I will carry on doing the lottery and live in hope that one day I win enough money to make a positive change in my life, in the mean time the odd tenner will always be gratefully received and put towards something boring like a bill.

Comment

Interesting and topical thread for me and Mr BP 2 B

I'm currently looking at "downgrading" my employer and am prepared to take the financial hit that will come with is as I'd like a chance to bring up our planned children rather than get a live in nanny (which is the only alternative for us). This will mean a huge financial change for us as I am the main breadwinner. So no, with our plans, money does not make us happy.

If we had a massive win which would mean that I could open my cupcake shop (pipe dream), and give a little back, I suspect that it would make us happy.

I suspect that those who are happy following a big win, are the ones who are grounded beforehand, know (and don't take for granted) the value of family, friends and money

Comment

[QUOTE=Snadger;689839]
                  Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                  True Snadger. I've never bought a lottery ticket. I've never backed a horse. I've had a hand-to-mouth existence when we first got maried, and even then we didn't crave money. We now have enough, through not spending huge amounts, not through earning or winning huge amounts, that we can buy anything we want. We still don't manage to spend it all.

My Grandad used to say, "A man is rich according to the fewness of his wants" and the old chap was right![/QUOTE]

Is this the same Grandad who used to water his toad in the corner of the greenhouse?.......or did I imagine that?
                  You didn't imagine it - but the toad man was my husband's grandad. Funny grandads run in our family!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Just to add a light note to this very serious discussion:

Everytime I come onto the General Chitchat area, I have to double take the title of this discussion I keep thinking it says:
                    "Would Mega Blocks Make you Happier?"

Small things please small minds eh?!?

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                      Just to add a light note to this very serious discussion:

Everytime I come onto the General Chitchat area, I have to double take the title of this discussion I keep thinking it says:
                      "Would Mega Blocks Make you Happier?"

Small things please small minds eh?!?
                      Intrigued Mega BLOCKS what for may I ask?

Comment

Kids toy, like Lego only bigger, Pickle had it when she was little, I played with them more than she did!
                        Kirsty b xx

Comment

Here you go Bren
                          Attached Files

Comment

What makes me happy?? Being with my kids and grandkids, being in my house and garden, growing fruit and veg in the garden, having apero's with my friends.
                            What makes me desperately unhappy?? Being away from my house for a month at a time (at least). Not seeing family for that time. The two days before I go back to work, I become an unpleasant person.

Mega bucks would allow me not to go back to work. Would it make me happy? Yes!!
                            Unequivocally yes.
                            Bob Leponge
                            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

money can't, but the things it could give me can.Like time, due to not having to work.
                              I never understand people who come back to work and say they were bored in the house....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X