No announcement yet.

When you've had it all

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my mum was about your age, Brengirl, when she decided to take up a new hobby. Antiques restoration! It started with an evening class because she wanted to mend or restore some of the bits and bobs round the house.
    Now's the time they are starting to publish the lists of classes to start in September by the way. You may find something you fancy there.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

You are all so very right. It is entirely up to me to get off my own derriere. I gave up driving many years ago and with it my independence. BUT I do have a bus pass

Comment

get a bike, get out with the cyclists' touring club
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          get a bike, get out with the cyclists' touring club
          You have gotta be joking I can hardly stand up on me own two feet let alone a bike. Might try a pushbike though

Comment

And a hobby you can do at home- together- is family tree.
            Once it's started you can go and see if the house your parents/grandparents/great grandparents were born in is still there...nip into their local pub and have lunch and wander round the graveyard.
            Some places will be far enough away to need a B&B which will be a treat- and see if there are any garden centres/interesting walks/places to visit nearby.
            Your OH could do some of the quiet research at home if he wanted to whilst you are out at night school
            Last edited by Nicos; 03-06-2010, 08:00 AM.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
              You are all so very right. It is entirely up to me to get off my own derriere. I gave up driving many years ago and with it my independence. BUT I do have a bus pass
              I've never driven. Ask Mr Flum if I'm independent though!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I used to teach Tai Chi for Arthritis - it's a fantastic thing to do.
                You can do it sitting in a chair if needs be.
                It's as hard work as you wish- and exceptionally calming

Might be worth checking up if there are any teachers in your area ( its NOT normal Tai Chi)
                You'd meet a whole new bunch of peeps doing that.

Or Yoga for the over 50's/60'/70's/80's

Comment

as others have said, there is always something more! i have been in the same place as you are now, several times in my life, as , and i can tell you that it passes if you let it. the first thing is sit down and think of all of the things you enjoyed or had an interest in, even the things you enjoyed as a child ( maybe , especially the things you enjoyed as a child!!!) and then choose what appeals to you the most, and go on a voyage of discovery. sometimes the very first steps are the most difficult of all- for instance, after a huge gap, i wanted to take up painting again, and so i bought all of the stuff, and then just sat and stared at space for days, as i just couldnt get started. sometimes you have to force yourself!! research, join a class, do what it takes, and it will become easy.

the trick is to fill your time with things that make you feel good, but sometimes you have to give yourself a forceful kickstart to get going, and then there is no looking back. become selfish, and use this time to live in a childlike way of discovering new things about life, and yourself.

as an alternative therapist, a couple of things to do that i reccomend, is keep a journal, keep it by your bed- first thing in the morning, before you get out of bed, write 3 pages in your journal, on anything that pops in to your mind, be it dreams from the night before, or memories, plans, anything- keep it unstructured. when i first did this, i just stared at the paper with a blank mind, and finally decided to start at the beginning, with my earliest memory of childhood, andd it became a fascinating time of remembering things which i had long forgotton. it also puts you in touch with the you which may have become difused over the years, through life, so helps you to move ahead.

another thing, when you are feeling a bit down, write 20 things on a piece of paper which you are thankful for in your life- dont forget the little things which we over here take for granted. this will energise you, and allow you to greet each day with enthusiasm, grateful for the time and situation that allows you the time to pick and choose how to spend your days.

Comment

What thoughtful ideas lindyloo. Lovely.

Comment

here are just a few of the things which i, and others i know of a certain age, have taken up as later hobbies; geneology, painting/art, belly dancing, fencing ( the sword kind) line dancing, interior design, herbal medicine, book club, cinema club, amatuer dramatics ( loads to do behind the scenes if you arent a diva!) ballet, motorbiking, boating, horses- ride and driving them. even if funds are short for some of these interests (the last 3), there are ussually local groups who want volonteers. or put up a local advert, to get in touch with people who have the same interests as you, if you cant find anything local, and start your own group. mostly, though, just have fun!!
                      Last edited by lindyloo; 03-06-2010, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                        Well since me and my hubby became "senior citizens" and got our free travel passes we take off on the train anytime we get fed up in the house or feel the need to do something different.
                        We have travelled the length and breath of the country on the trains. We do day trips and special offer weekends. never any time to get bored.
                        My mum does this too! There are lots of places she'd never drive to (too far, horrid one-way systems, unknown parking etc) and going on the bus/train means her and her friends can go all over the place without worrying about it all!

My mum also volunteers for Age Concern (despite being old enough to partake of their services herself!). She takes the oldies shopping, to hospital appointments etc, or sits with their OH's (who can't be left alone) whilst they go to appointments etc.

She's worked in various charity shops too, just as and when she's felt like getting out of the house (she's been a widow/single for over 15 years now)

Comment

I find it very hard for people to accept that I really don't want to do anything now. I am quite content doing my gardening, a bit of knitting, a jigsaw now and again and lots of reading and PC. I have never been in the slightest bit adventurous, I don't want to travel and having a full time job I'm ready to relax at the end of the working day. However, I don't feel that because of that I am stagnating! Like TS, my OH and I have very little in common in the way of interests - he has always preferred sport, playing, managing and watching and I can't stand it, but they say opposites attract and we are quite happy doing separate things. I suppose it's nice to enjoy the same things, but it has never bothered us and we have been married for 38 years.
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                            I find it very hard for people to accept that I really don't want to do anything now. I am quite content doing my gardening, a bit of knitting, a jigsaw now and again and lots of reading and PC. I have never been in the slightest bit adventurous, I don't want to travel and having a full time job I'm ready to relax at the end of the working day. However, I don't feel that because of that I am stagnating! Like TS, my OH and I have very little in common in the way of interests - he has always preferred sport, playing, managing and watching and I can't stand it, but they say opposites attract and we are quite happy doing separate things. I suppose it's nice to enjoy the same things, but it has never bothered us and we have been married for 38 years.
                            I don't understand why you say you don't want to do anything now as you list all sorts of things which you do! Nothing wrong with not wanting to do new things if you find challenges and enjoyment with what you do. Likewise nothing wrong with a bit of experimentation either.

My mum was widdowed at 60 and has since developed a social life she'd never have dreamed of when dad was alive. She joing U3A, plays golf, walks, meets friends for lunch and travels all over on her bus pass. She'd probably not have done some of these things if dad was still about as they'd have done different things together but it works for her.

Like some of the other posters, me and OH have different interests - he's far more dare devil than me and likes scary things whereas I like reading, nature and gardening. We go off and do our own thing and then meet in the middle. Gives us things to talk about and stops either of us being too reliant on the other one.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by lindyloo View Post
                              fencing ( the sword kind) "
                              Or the other kind - My Aunt took up dry stane dyking at the age of 78. (I'm not kidding, she did).
                              Last edited by Nicos; 03-06-2010, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plot10 View Post
                                Or the other kind - My Aunt took up dry stane dyking at the age of 78. (I'm not kidding, she did).
                                What an amazing lady. Has she always lived a healthy lifestyle. If not, what's her secret..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X