No announcement yet.

Are you a flag waving thug?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its a tribal thing. I think most people are proud of their heritage but I'm just NOT a flag waver!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Even though I've emigrated for "a better life" I'm still incredibly proud to be English. I'm not British, never have been and never will be, I feel no affiliation whatsover to the Union Flag, but will wear my England shirt throughout the footy world cup (might wash it occasionally) and will have an England flag/scarf in the car.
      This doesnt mean I'm anti the other countries of the union, I'm just not Irish, Scottish or Welsh.
      Anyone who sees me with my kids would realise I'm not racist, I'm just an Englishman who's proud to be so.
      To all the non sporty types, if England do well in the world cup, dare I say qualify for the semi-finals or better, I would love to know if you notice a "feel good factor" sweeping the country or feel that nothing has changed.
      Bob Leponge
      Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
        Genuinely curious, why are you not proud to be British?

I'm somewhere to the left of Che Guevara, have minimal interest in sports and think that most (probably all) of our successive governments are a bit poor but I am proud to live in a country that is generally tolerant, has a fascinating history and a beautiful landscape and when I feel like it, I fly both the Union flag and the flag of St George.

There's nothing at all wrong with a sense of national identity. It's worked very well for Scotland and Wales... time to reclaim 'being English' from the racist idiots!

I agree with lots of what you have said. As I said I love lots of things about Britain, lots and lots of things, but there is also quite a bit I loathe too.

I said that I was not particularly proud, but I didnt say that I was necessarily ashamed either, although there are bits about being British that I dont particularly like, but as said above lots I love. Not least this place!! I love the fact that for instance this forum has been so welcoming and is full of lovely people taking care and pride in growing things, concern for the environment, concern for fellow people and happily giving away advice, information, seeds etc. That is so nice and a fine example of the great things in this country.

I will support England in the World Cup, I like footy, it'd be nice for us to win, not that I really like most of the idiots playing for us! Lol! But I wouldnt have a desire to display the flag, but thats just me.

Unfortunately the flags have been associated with various things that most of us would prefer to distance ourselves from. Its a shame this has taken over the flags which otherwise just represent where we are from.

I suppose that I am saying I have very mixed feelings which lead me to being neither one way or the other. Too varied to go in to here and would certainly bore people. I am British, I am not particularly proud or ashamed, I am what I am and live where I live.

PS Just wanted to add that I feel lucky to live where I live, but I think that is different from feeling proud? I dunno!! Too heavy for such a sunny day!
        Last edited by Helgalush; 22-05-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I am proud to be English, I don't fly any flags though.
          When we fight in battles during the Summer we wear our Lord's colours and our group has it's own banner which is a sort of flag I suppose which is a red background with a white cross and a crow on it.
          However I am often on the side of the Welsh as an archer and am proud to be as Wales is a fantastic place and I love Wales as much as I do England.
          Any flag if attached to dodgy causes or used to promote racist or far right politics could be viewed as racist, it isn't the flag that is racist so much as the people waving it.
          I get a lump in my throat when I hear Land of hope and glory played or Jerusalem, I think the English countryside is absolutely beautiful, I am proud to be English and always put myself on forms as English.
          However I also value the amazing mix of cultures, religions and peoples that make up the British Isles and would not want our Islands to be any different. Sad that a small minority have made it almost impossible to say you are proud to be English without someone thinking you are a paid up member of the BNP!!
          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
            I would be a flag flyer if I knew which flag. Yonks ago it would have been the Union Jack but since somehow that is not applicable and the lovely St. George's flag has it's association with radical nationalism what to do that is the question?
            Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
            Personally I'd fly the Union Flag over the St. George's Cross simply because it seems the rest of the Union hate the English (probably stereotyping), but I've got nothing against them and would rather we celebrate how brilliant being British is rather than how we hate being associated together.
            But the Union Flag would be totally wrong if you were waving it to support England. It's right for something like the olympics where we are a GB team but not for football which is an English team and therefore the Cross of St George fits the bill.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              But the Union Flag would be totally wrong if you were waving it to support England. It's right for something like the olympics where we are a GB team but not for football which is an English team and therefore the Cross of St George fits the bill.
              Nah, I'm not a big sports fan, I'd fly it because I'm proud of my country (although any time I see the news it looks like I'm in a minority!)
              Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
              Snadger - Director of Poetry
              RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
              Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
              Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
              piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                Who would you have instead?
                It would have to be King Arthur who is so deeply embedded in English history or what about Robin Hood with his merry men and green tights no maybe not. Yes I would like to nominate Good king Arthur as our new patron saint of England anyone second that ?
                Regards
                Lady Jana Muck

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                  Nah, I'm not a big sports fan, I'd fly it because I'm proud of my country (although any time I see the news it looks like I'm in a minority!)
                  Its a minority of 2 then Ollie, as I'm incredibly proud to be an Englishman.
                  Bob Leponge
                  Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I'm proud to be an Englishman too, Bob and Ollie! Well, apart from the fact my daddy was Scots. And I married an Irishman. And I'm a woman.
                    So what connotations does the name have?
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Suffice to say Jeanie, I wouldnt pass a French "Tebbit" test.
                      Bob Leponge

Comment

OMG remind me what the Tebbit test was, Bob! Was it something about being able to ride a bike while supporting England at cricket? I fail at both too!
                        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Dont remember about the cycling bit, but was definitely relating to the country that immigrants would support in a cricket match between England and their country of origin/descent.

When England play sport against no matter who, I would support England. I wont even support France once England have been knocked out. Why would I support another country? I'm English.

A complete Tebbit failure I'm afraid.
                          Bob Leponge

Comment

Warning - tounge in cheek remark follows -
                            I'll wait till I see who puts England out of the world cup and then buy the shirt , flag,poster etc and wear the shirt for 3 weeks afterwards to p*ss off all the lovely security guards that patrol the supermarket distribution warehouses that I frequent.
                            As someone who has no passion for football - remember - Its only a game.
                            There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Jana Muck View Post
                              It would have to be King Arthur who is so deeply embedded in English history or what about Robin Hood with his merry men and green tights no maybe not. Yes I would like to nominate Good king Arthur as our new patron saint of England anyone second that ?
                              The legend goes that he was a 'True Englishman' and he is usually portrayed as a 'KnightsTemplar' with a white tunic with a red cross on it!

Shame he wasn't real though as he would have got my vote!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X