Seed packets - is it just me?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work on Sod's Law principles

If you open the seed packet ever so carefully, sow as exactly and thinly as you can, in perfectly strung rows and cover with the exact level of soil carefully measured in mm - nowt will grow. However, if you rip packet with your teeth, having had wet hands when you open it, sneeze at the point of pouring into your hands and lose your glasses off the end of your nose so you can't see the seed packet, let alone the seeds - trample on the soil as you stagger back from bending down to retrieve aforementioned glasses - you'll have prize veg and then Sod's law comes into play once more and you have no idea what's grown!!
    'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

Comment

These packages realy should have the info printed somewhere else on the pack, leave the top 1/4 blank! Then none of us would have these problems lol too easy for them or what?
      Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by enrich100 View Post
        solutions to your problem

1. You buy a pen knife as mentioned

2. You buy a duplicate packet so you have all the info to hand

3. You take your laptop and scanner down to your allotment scan the packet details save image,

open spreadsheet
        a) type in number of seeds that you planted
        b) add the cost of the packet
        c) add the date you planted the seeds
        d) workout the number of seeds that need to germinate to make it cost effective to grow you own (allowing for theft, animal damage)
        e) compare to given germination rates
        f) if packet is new include sow by date and seed company details
        g) update blog and compare notes with your gardening ebuddies
        h) if wifi is availiable setup webcam to watch seedlings grow from the comfort of your own home
        I like this a lot! Your so funny at times!
        Last edited by Irie Jan; 19-05-2010, 07:39 PM.
        Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

I use a pen knife either top or bottom opposite end to where the vital info has been slotted - easy innit
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by mogs View Post
            ...However, if you rip packet with your teeth, having had wet hands when you open it, sneeze at the point of pouring into your hands and lose your glasses off the end of your nose so you can't see the seed packet, let alone the seeds - trample on the soil as you stagger back from bending down to retrieve aforementioned glasses - you'll have prize veg and then Sod's law comes into play once more and you have no idea what's grown!!
            Now this I really really love
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by mogs View Post
              Work on Sod's Law principles

If you open the seed packet ever so carefully, sow as exactly and thinly as you can, in perfectly strung rows and cover with the exact level of soil carefully measured in mm - nowt will grow. However, if you rip packet with your teeth, having had wet hands when you open it, sneeze at the point of pouring into your hands and lose your glasses off the end of your nose so you can't see the seed packet, let alone the seeds - trample on the soil as you stagger back from bending down to retrieve aforementioned glasses - you'll have prize veg and then Sod's law comes into play once more and you have no idea what's grown!!

You HAVE been watching me!!!

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

keep scissors and sellotape at lotty: neatly cut seed packet, spill some into hand, use other hand to sow finely. Tape packet back up (easy!)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Always carry a sharp knife in your pocket for cutting things (including seed packets) and just hope to heaven that you don't get stopped on your way to the lottie by your local C3PO and arrested for carrying an offensive weapon. Sellotape (or postie's discarded rubber bands) are useful for re-sealing the packets.

Comment

Happened again last night....on plot late in the evening rushing to sow spring onion and more radish seeds...oh no! new packets to open.....ripped across the top before remembering the wise words from here....'penknife' and 'down the side'
                    ho hum!!!!!

Comment

Rusty lady....on the stopped on the way home thing....
                      Mr HF and I sail, one morning I gave a colleague a lift to work, but as we were leaving my house I suddenly remembered - "hang on I need rope and a knife" she looked really worried - wind was forecast and boatie might need some extra tying down, during my lunch break. Thing is I had a quick count up and I had about 5 knives in my car at the time - I DONT now. They were in my sailing gear, we carry a couple to cut our way out if we in case get tangled in rope and rigging should the boat go over!!!!! to carry a knife is almost a must and is seen as very wise in a sailors eye.
                      Thing is how do we stand law wise! Many people carry innocent knives as part of job or hobby.
                      Last edited by Headfry; 21-05-2010, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                        Always carry a sharp knife in your pocket for cutting things (including seed packets) and just hope to heaven that you don't get stopped on your way to the lottie by your local C3PO and arrested for carrying an offensive weapon. Sellotape (or postie's discarded rubber bands) are useful for re-sealing the packets.
                        No problem, if you are carrying it for valid reason, allotment, boats as above, etc. all fall into valid reasons.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Thanks weekendwellies - I do get a little worried!

Comment

'valid reason' is open to interpretation, and seems to be on the basis of "do you have that reason NOW?"
                            If you 'often' need a knife, you can still be in trouble if you are stopped with it on a trip that does not include the need.
                            Of course a penknife is allowed anyway, if under a certain size and WITHOUT any form of locking to keep the blade open.
                            I learned all this after having problems because the kind of penknife I use DOES have a locking 'collar'. In fact my valid reason was that I was in transit between 2 places where there would not be restrictions, but sorting that out would have taken forever and I didn't have time, so I lost my 2 knives and have had to buy replacements!
                            DO NOT have anything sharp in your possession if you go on the London Eye!
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X