Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broadway View Post
    Hi Folks,

Never read or watched any of Terry Pratchett's stuff but the ad for "going Postal" grabbed my attention.

Is it part of a series/set whatever or can I enjoy watching it without seeing others?
    So far there's been "Hogsfather" and "The Colour Of Magic" have been made into Live action films. They are based on the most excellent Discworld series of books which whilst you can just dive in at any one of them you will miss some of the "in" jokes if you don't read them from the beginning. Terry Pratchett has the most divine sense of humour that is accessible to young and old and best of all he makes you think. A friend of mine did his doctorate in Philosophy and for his final thesis he used the wisdom of Granny Weatherwax (with a bit of Nanny Ogg as a juxtaposition on some of the more serious points).

I dare you. Delve into the discworld. You'll never be quite as sane again.

Comment

I think I might be a reincarnation of Nanny Ogg. Except I don't smoke a pipe. Otherwise - dead ringer!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Buleste View Post
        A friend of mine did his doctorate in Philosophy and for his final thesis he used the wisdom of Granny Weatherwax (with a bit of Nanny Ogg as a juxtaposition on some of the more serious points).
        I quoted a scene where Susan enters Death's study and everything looks right but doesn't really work, in my dissertation for my BA(Hons) degree!!

Comment

A good friend turned me on to Terry Pratchett about 12 years ago, so I had a bit of catching up to do, but since then it's been a case of waiting impatiently for the next one to come out. I have all of the Discworld series, in fact they have their own shelf in the bookcase right next to my favoutite seat where I'm sitting now and yes, thay are in order.

Loved Sky's adaptations of "Hogfather" & "The Colour of Magic" although, like others have said, some of the characterisations weren't as good as my imagination.

Will be recording "Going Postal" and archiving it to DVD so I can watch it again.

Ladies, do your think your lusting after Mr. von Lipwig has anything to do with his name?
          There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
            Ladies, do your think your lusting after Mr. von Lipwig has anything to do with his name?
            Definately not! That's the only off-putting thing about him though

Comment

Must admit, I do have picture of Sam Vimes in my head, can't imagine any actor as him really.

I would love to see 'Maskerade' and 'Lords and Ladies' adapted. They are two of my faves. Nightwatch would be good also.

Who has been cast for Angua and Vimes, and Carrot (is he in this one?) come to that?? Anone know yet?
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

Angua is being played by Ingrid Bolsø Berdal, a Norweigian actress. According to Wiki she's big in Oslo!

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                  Angua is being played by Ingrid Bolsø Berdal, a Norweigian actress. According to Wiki she's big in Oslo!
                  I've only seen headshots so I couldn't comment.

I would love to see an adaptation of Small Gods (my favourite) but I think in today's climate it'll never happen as every religious group will say it's anti them along with the atheists.

I have a promotional T-shirt from a book signing with TP and Neil Gaiman which has the words "My chest is on the front" and with a 3D Latex luggage bursting out of the front of the T-shirt from when they were signing copies of Good Omens and Reaper Man.

Comment

Okay, she's got potential for Angua. I'll give her a chance.

Think I bought my T-shirt from Clarecraft (who did the figurines), its Death and Mort.

Comment

Have you had a look at any of the Paul Kidby stuff? Being a bit of a nerd I might get the "Anthill Inside" Tee or a City Watch badge.

Comment

Oooh, now that site is definately going in my 'favourites' - thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                          Oooh, now that site is definately going in my 'favourites' - thank you!
                          Be careful, you may end up with empty purse syndrome (I have empty wallet syndrome because it's a city watch wallet).

Going back on track......ish. I have to say one of the problems I had with The Hogfather was 'Nobby' Nobbs. I think the actor was too human looking. I've seen many a person in the street with that 'almost an opposable thumb' look about them that would be perfect for the role but the guy they cast ,Nicholas Tennant, just didn't quite match. And the fact he played the Head Librarian (before his orange overcoat) in the Colour of Magic just proves it.

Either way, are any of the ladies here going to get one of the guild of Seamstresses T-Shirts?

Comment

I would definitely wear those t-shirts!! Was just eyeing up the Guild of Seamsresses bag, perfect for gong back to school in September
                            Kirsty b xx

Comment

Lol - I love those slogans! I do have a Guild of Seamstresses pewter keyfob on my massive bundle of keys (another Clarecraft purchase), its their coat of arms , its a bit worn, but you can still just about it make out.

Comment

I went to a stage play of Guards, Guards! many years back in Hull. The bloke who played Vimes was the chap from Blake's 7 who turned out to be a baddy - he was Brilliant!!
                                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X