Start
    Control Panel
    Network and Internet connections
    Network connections.
    Local Area Connection.

Right click
    Repair.
    Hi Madasafish,

What will this give me as the connection is working from other apps but not the browsers?
    Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
      Does seem strange, all 3 browsers not working.

How is your Dad's computer connected to the internet? Is there a router involved? Wired or wireless?

If you could open up a command prompt, do an "ipconfig /all" and post the result that may give a clue.
      Hi HS,

It's connected via an Ethernet cable from the modem, going down again tomorrow with my netbook plus memory stick containing downloads of new browsers to load, process of elimination
      Cheers

Danny

Comment

Take an anti-malware program with you Broadway, Malwarebytes do a good "lite" free version.
        "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by T8Ter View Post
          Take an anti-malware program with you Broadway, Malwarebytes do a good "lite" free version.
          Thanks T8 will do,

I've got some other free AV things to try, again process to elim

Update, just downloaded it, my thinking is I plug my netbook in and it will work, if so I can download other bits anyway, if not, hello Sky Service Desk
          Last edited by broadway; 09-05-2010, 07:18 PM.
          Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
            ... if not, hello Sky Service Desk
            God help you

Atleast if it's direct Ethernet from the cable modem then you haven't got the complication of a router involved.

You might want to check the modem diagnostics, if you open a browser window and try going to:

http://192.168.100.1/

The default user/password is admin/sky

Another thought, does your Dad use an email program such as Outlook Express and is that mis-behaving too?
            Last edited by HotStuff; 09-05-2010, 09:20 PM.
            There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Hi Hotstuff,

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
              God help you

You might want to check the modem diagnostics, if you open a browser window and try going to:

http://192.168.100.1/

The default user/password is admin/sky
              Thanks, I'll try this as a last resort.

Another thought, does your Dad use an email program such as Outlook Express and is that mis-behaving too?
              No he uses Webmail
              Cheers

Danny

Comment

Thanks, I'll try this as a last resort.
                Just a thought, but if you can get to the routers config page with a browser, you can kind of eliminate the PC ~ it's just a webpage server up by the router after all. However, your netbook will determine this for you anyway.

Comment

Morning Folks,

Sending this update via my Netbook plugged into my Dad's network cable

Reinstalled Opera on his PC, still no good

Cannot access 192.168.100.1 via his browser

Ran Malware, 1 object found/removed

Stuck again, was toying with disabling Symantec?
                  Cheers

Danny

Comment

I would still power down the sky unit first, this way you know that it isn't stale sessions, out of synch, etc, also you may not have to remove symantec you may be able to stop its service from starting or temp stop it.
                    Can you ping the router okay

Comment

Originally posted by TEB View Post
                      I would still power down the sky unit first, this way you know that it isn't stale sessions, out of synch, etc, also you may not have to remove symantec you may be able to stop its service from starting or temp stop it.
                      Can you ping the router okay
                      Hello Teb,

Had to leave it as I had other stuff to do.

When you say the sky unit you're talking about the modem?

When I left it was in a worse state then when I started

The PC is not communicating with the modem anymore so cannot get a valid IP address although I could with my Netbook.

Do you reckon his onboard NIC is playing up?
                      Cheers

Danny

Comment

Hello Teb,

Had to leave it as I had other stuff to do.

When you say the sky unit you're talking about the modem?

When I left it was in a worse state then when I started

The PC is not communicating with the modem anymore so cannot get a valid IP address although I could with my Netbook.

Do you reckon his onboard NIC is playing up?
                        On your Dad's computer go to Start > Run > type in "CMD" without the quotes > press Enter, a DOS box should appear, at the flashing cursor type:
                        "ipconfig /flushdns" press Enter (without the quotes, there is a space before forward slash)

you should get a message saying succesfully flushed the resolver cache

then "type ipconfig /release" press enter (without the quotes)
                        then type "ipconfig /renew" press enter (without the quotes) > this may take a few seconds or a couple of minutes while it hunts for a DHCP server, if it times out then I would reset the TCP/IP stack by typing this:
                        netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt press Enter and reboot the computer and see what what happens.
                        PS none of the commands above will do any damage to the operating system and the worse that will happen is they will error out if there is a problem

Comment

On your Dad's computer go to Start > Run > type in "CMD" without the quotes > press Enter, a DOS box should appear, at the flashing cursor type:
                          "ipconfig /flushdns" press Enter (without the quotes, there is a space before forward slash)

you should get a message saying succesfully flushed the resolver cache

then "type ipconfig /release" press enter (without the quotes)
                          then type "ipconfig /renew" press enter (without the quotes) > this may take a few seconds or a couple of minutes while it hunts for a DHCP server, if it times out then I would reset the TCP/IP stack by typing this:
                          netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt press Enter and reboot the computer and see what what happens.
                          PS none of the commands above will do any damage to the operating system and the worse that will happen is they will error out if there is a problem
                          Thanks Teb

I'm familar with most of the commands not not all so I'll give it a go!

I might even phone my Dad and get him to do it, should be entertaining
                          Cheers

Danny

Comment

Thanks Teb

I'm familar with most of the commands not not all so I'll give it a go!

I might even phone my Dad and get him to do it, should be entertaining
                            Well fingers crossed, make sure he does a forward slash, lots of people get that one round the wrong way

Comment

Well fingers crossed, make sure he does a forward slash, lots of people get that one round the wrong way
                              What do you reckon if this gets me back to where I was earlier, valid IP address but Browsers still not working?

I've been looking at these issues via the web and loads of people seem to have had same / similar issues, some resolved by removing Security Updates

What are your views on trying another NIC?
                              Cheers

Danny

Comment

What do you reckon if this gets me back to where I was earlier, valid IP address but Browsers still not working?

I've been looking at these issues via the web and loads of people seem to have had same / similar issues, some resolved by removing Security Updates

What are your views on trying another NIC?
                                If the IP address was being set correctly and you can ping various web sites but couldn't browse to a web page I would be inclined to remove any anti virus/spyware/maleware protection and work my way from there. If you go back their with your netbook then I would be interested to see the result of a ipconfig /all from your netbook and then compare it with the same from your Dads. I cannot remember the last NIC we had to replace and we look after hundreds of desktops/workstations and tens of servers, not saying it cannot happen but we have found it to be rare, especially in your Dads case where he could ping a public IP. Don't know how long your Dad has had this issue but wasn't the last updates (Microsoft) at least a couple of weeks ago, don't they do them on the second Tuesday in the month unless there is a corker of vulnerability around.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X