Think I've being hacked

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We'll try a repair first.

Try following the instructions on this web page on how to repair the system.

Let me know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Buleste View Post

Can I start a repair while I'm running the Disk Defragmenter or wait until it's finished?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        I had a similar problem with an anti-virus program a few months back. It took over everything on my computer trying to sell me a program saying that all my files were infected. As Buleste has suggested, I booted up in safe mode & restored back to a date before this programme took over. That solved my problem........Good luck.
        I had a similar problem and the virus wouldn't let me connect onto sites to get rid of it. My Son who is pretty clued up, managed to install Malwarebytes and this got rid of it!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Dottie View Post
          Can I start a repair while I'm running the Disk Defragmenter or wait until it's finished?
          Wait until it's finished. Personally I'd cancel the disk defrag and once it's stop then go for a repair. If the repair is successful then do a disk defrag but rather than using the Microsoft Defrag which takes a long time try this programme. It's a lot quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Buleste View Post

I've just checked the info and instructions, which seems to be what I have already earlier, except I didn't put my vista CD in the DVD drive.

Seems I went straight to advance tools, did startup repair, system restore without the CD. So does that mean I need to do it again?

I was then offered the option to do the McAfee QuickClean and Microsoft Disk Defragmenter, which I also did. However the Disk Defragmenter I think said it will run or be updated on the 15th.

Comment

Did you do both startup repair and system restore or did you just try system restore?

From what I can see you cannot run Startup repair from windows so you'll need to boot for the CD/DVD.

This site should give you the information on startup repair.

Comment

mcafee is a big pile of poo. not as bad as symantec but pretty bad.
                uninstall it.

get avg free and defraggler

start in safe mode, run the avg.
                then run defraggler.

the problem with doing a system restore is that some viruses will infect your computer anyway, so going back in time by restoring to an earlier date isn't going to help.

P.S - defragging won't help if youdo have a virus, it just puts everything in order, sort of like organising your kitchen cupboard. but defraggler is a good free one. they also do a program called ccleaner, which will scan for items you can delete, your cache, temp files etc. It also allows you to say what services start up without you playing with msconfig.
                Last edited by taff; 12-05-2010, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the help and advice. I will hopefully try out suggestions in the next day or so and feedback on how I get on, can't do it today.

Comment

Get a Mac!

Sorry, I had to say it!
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                      Get a Mac!

Sorry, I had to say it!
                      Personally I would say upgrade to Windows 7 for a lot less but if you want to spend twice the price of a PC with only half the functionality then go for a Mac.

Comment

or linux.....

I must have me a try of that soon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X