Can you remember the "Onion Johnies"

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you remember the "Onion Johnies"

Breton farmers began taking onions across the Channel in the early1800's and travelled throughout southern Britain on bicycles laden with strings of onions which they sold door to door. They had the nickname of "Onion Johnies" and apparently a few still ply the trade.

Other than LJ can anybody remember seeing them about.

The type of onions they sold were "Rose de Roscoff", a sweet and mild rose pink onion that has been exclusively grown in Brittany for 400 years.

This little piglet has got his trotters on some genuine seed for these onions and will be making some available next year in an attempt to get a British strain going and established, just like the banana shallots this year. My next visit to France in May will have the seed in my sticky palm.

Piglet! You are getting cheekier by the day!!
    [

Comment

There used to be talk in my family of such characters but I think it was my grandparents who may have seen them. Cornwall is a world of it's own, but only about 30 years behind the rest of UK!!
      would love to have some seeds please PW. Banana Shallots have sprouted, but I am worrying about them surviving the cold spell with only cold frame to cover them.

Comment

Not heard the name of Onion Johnies before PW, nor seen any French Folk on bicycles round here, but do remember an advert a few years ago for a Beer that refreshes the parts that other beers dont reach which featured them! Still have the whistled song in my memory, in fact, I cant shift it now I've remembered it! lol!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I wouldn't have thought Onion Johnies would have worked Piglet. I remember being told to try boots once .... but it came out the lace holes
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Can you remember the "Onion Johnies"
            Say they would have brought a tear to your eye
            Last edited by beefy; 08-02-2007, 07:43 PM.
            There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
              Breton farmers began taking onions across the Channel in the early1800's and travelled throughout southern Britain on bicycles laden with strings of onions which they sold door to door. They had the nickname of "Onion Johnies" and apparently a few still ply the trade.

Other than LJ can anybody remember seeing them about.

The type of onions they sold were "Rose de Roscoff", a sweet and mild rose pink onion that has been exclusively grown in Brittany for 400 years.

This little piglet has got his trotters on some genuine seed for these onions and will be making some available next year in an attempt to get a British strain going and established, just like the banana shallots this year. My next visit to France in May will have the seed in my sticky palm.
              I've got a bike going cheap if you want it piglet?
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I thought chiks went cheep

Bikes squeak
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Piglet, I can give you a beret if you need it.
                  Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                  Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                  I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Onion Johnies - I'm afraid to say it is ringing a bell, BUT it must have been a story my grandparents told me!!!!!

I DO remember eating pink onions in Brittany though.
                    Last edited by JennieAtkinson; 08-02-2007, 08:46 PM.
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                      I thought chiks went cheep

Bikes squeak
                      I've never asked a chick how much she charged!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

P
                        I remember seeing them as a child, and I'm under 60 - just. Also remember rag and bone men and the embarassement of being sent out for the manure with a bucket. We used to get a greengrocer come round with a van and the Corona man with fizzy drinks. This was all in suburbia, not the depths of the country! And I do remember seeing just once, some proper gypsy caravans with horses.
                        I suppose with more women as housewives then there was value in door to door selling, these days you'd be hard pressed to find enough people at home.
                        Oh and yes, please put my name down for some seed..
                        best wishes
                        Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                          .....We used to get a greengrocer come round with a van ...
                          We still get that, chap comes round at about 1430 every Friday in his white van full of fruit & veg!!! we must be a bit behind the times? The coalman calls every weds btw.
                          To see a world in a grain of sand
                          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                            P
                            We used to get a greengrocer come round with a van and the Corona man with fizzy drinks.

Our pop man was from Villa....made a fortune nicking emptys and returning them (allegedly without predjudice!!) Anyone remember MexiCola
                            Last edited by Geordie; 08-02-2007, 09:54 PM.
                            Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Living in the wilds of Cornwall (well two miles from the nearest market town) we used to have a grocers van on Friday afternoons, chip van on Saturdays, ice creams on Weds and two on sun! A greengrocer and a wet fish van used to come as well; the farmer delivered fresh unpasturised milk every morning, and eggs once a week and the coalman delivered a whole shedful once a month (I think) when I was little.
                              Nowadays I think they get the library van once a month and a grocers once a week.

Bubblewrap remembers running after the horses for manure in Nottingham. The co-op baker, a butcher, and a greengrocer used to deliver orders; a coalman came monthly bringing 6cwt at a time and that was with a corner shop less than 1/2 mile away!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X