No announcement yet.

On our doorstep

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love holidays at home though I have had only two in the last three years and one of those was brought to a halt after the first day due to FIL passing away.
    It's just easier with the two girls. My darling wife often used to travel the length and breadth of the UK with Iona staying with old college and Uni pals - Glasgow, Sheffield, Chester, Bridgend, Belfast then home.
    Me - I love Scotland - the west coast, especially north of Ullapool hold special memories for me, as do Loch Lomond and Glencoe, but then again, when we decidd to leave London and move up to Scotland, I remember not being able to disagree with OH statement that I'd be happy in a tin shack halfway up a remote munro in North West Scotland
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
      I remember not being able to disagree with OH statement that I'd be happy in a tin shack halfway up a remote munro in North West Scotland
      You & me both.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'm fortunate enough to live near the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales
        I've done a lot of walking in Scotland as well, so the tin shack sounds attractive too. But I'm not sure about it for a permanent arrangement as I like a few comforts as well

Comment

We havent been abroad since having 2 kids! When we did we loved hiring a car and going round spain camping, prague and a greek island called simi.

OH family are in truro, cornwall and mine live on the edge of the broads in Norfolk, and my sister is on the Isle of wright, so have done a fair few family visits! Also done a fair bit of youth hostelling although that is pretty pricey now. We love Pembrokeshire, especially barafundle bay which is strikingly similar to a bay in greece, just stunning! Also love Northumberland.

Agree weather can be problematic, it rains most of the time when we are in Cornwall!!
          We want to do spur of the moment camping this year, even if its just overnight with the kids, sort of look at the weather and go! I you have everything ready to go then its not a hassle really.

We just need to compile a list of good sites, don't necessarily need great facilities, we are happy with basics, the atmosphere of a site is most important to us. Went to a wee one near Halifax, that just had a few loos etc, but brought you a bbq and a washing machine drum to have a fire in. Magic! The kids loved it!

Perhaps we should have thread for campsites?
          Last edited by jackyspratty; 28-04-2010, 08:59 PM. Reason: Spelling, put geek island instead of greek!!
          http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

I've had wonderful holidays in Britain and abroad, more recently at 'home', as now we have 3 children going away is so pricey. However, when you live in Pembrokeshire, it's pretty easy to be happy with a stay at home holiday .

My parents had the mantra that there is so much to be discovered in this country, and instilled it in me - we've had wonderful holidays in Scotland (especially the marvellous west coast, and Isla and Jura), Wales (years before I moved here we holidayed in Fishguard, now just down the road) both North & South, and many happy times in Devon and Cornwall (I have a soft spot for The Lizard, and also the Isles of Scilly).

Since meeting the OH we have been lucky enough to live in some fantastic places (OH is a Countryside Ranger, so wonderful scenery tends to go with the job!) - Dumfriesshire, Somerset, Dorset, and now Pembrokeshire.

Rhona - come to Pembrokeshire! Fantastic surfing beaches, wonderful scenery, and lots of great things to discover! Up here in the north of the county things are rugged and breathtakingly beautiful, down south is a bit 'softer', but it's all lovely! I can recommend some lovely holiday cottages, (esp. Porthllisky Farm Cottages, St Davids, Pembrokeshire) and for those of you who like camping, this one is local to me and very special (and you can have open fires too ) - tipi holidays, yurt holidays, camping in Pembrokeshire,glamping - Home. Here endeth my tourism speil for Pembrokeshire - but I know I'm preaching to the converted for some of you!

But this island of ours is definately worth discovering - the weather may not predictable, but hey, isn't that part of it's charm?
            Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by pipscariad View Post
              My parents had the mantra that there is so much to be discovered in this country

But this island of ours is definately worth discovering - the weather may not predictable, but hey, isn't that part of it's charm?
              Brilliant - kind of my thinking.

I've never been to Scotland - although I have an aunt and uncle just outside Edinburgh. I've only ever been to Wales on school camping trips, and only then to Snowdonia.

So much to see, so little time!
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

We're hoping to holiday at a place called Walton on The Naze.
                It's somewhere I've got so many memories of as a child...we used to holiday there when I was little and the Sunday School 'Mystery Tour' somehow always managed to have it as it's destination.
                I then went ages not going but rediscovered it a couple of years ago with the kiddies.
                It's one of those seasides that has a little bit of everything.The pier end with all the typical seaside attractions(but not too in your face) and as you walk along the beach(which is huge and sandy)it gradually gets quieter and quieter and then you get to cliffs and rockpools.There's also lots of great wildlife walks.
                The last three years our holiday has been camping in a forest about half an hour away.
                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I've holiday'd in Scotland for years - either just exploring the area I live, or going to a cottage in another part. Love it! Joined the NTS this easter so will be discovering castles and gardens a lot more now. Luckily we've got friends in a few different regions which means we can go and stay with them a couple of times a year too. As we've got the dogs, we prefer to have a "family" holiday and take them with us. The more I see of Scotland, the more I want to explore it. Would also love to do the rest of the home nations in time...

Comment

These days we have a 'place to go' abroad, so after the cost of getting there, all it costs us is housekeeping and the expense of not being home if work comes in.
                    In spite of which we missed our Spring holiday, and I dread what we will find when we next go there. Last year we missed Spring, got there in Autumn to discover we'd had thieves (again, but worse), so what will have happened this time.....
                    If not going there, I'd just as soon stop home and have 'days out', which we can do any time the work dries up (if we can find something free).
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

We spend most holidays here - we target an area! I spend ages on t'internet in advance working out what we want to see - we like a really good old castle, standing stones, roman sites, interesting gardens (of course), work out a mix of good weather and bad weather visits and then enjoy every minute.

Of course now I've been told not to fly or sail for a couple of years all I want to do is go abroad!!! And there's always Center Parcs when we need a quick break! - although after my daughter's hen do last weekend I may not be able to go back to Longleat for a while!
                      Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                      So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

The last proper holiday I had was about 8 years ago when i went for a week on a boat in cambridgeshire.
                        I got to Italy most years, but that's to visit relatives, so not a holiday as I have to be on best behaviour....
                        Went to Germany and Holland at the weekend, on tour with partner and band, again, not a holiday...
                        This year I'm going to Rhodes, hopefully, so yay...a holiday.

Comment

South Wales is a wonderful, The Gower is a wonderful place, beautiful,clean, remote beaches and never gets too full up like cornwall, love it, love it. Go twice every year. Rhossilli is heaven on earth.
                          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

camping is not a holiday-it is just more work for me with added backache and bad weather.

To get to cornwall or Scotland from here in the car with 2 small children would be absolute hell and take 7 hours not including rest breaks. I can get to 2 airpots within an hour, and even with the 2 hour wait I would then be 4 hours away wth nice weather. It's quicker to go abroad than to get somewhere warm here.

Comment

Even quicker if you were to move under the flightpath Janey, say where JeanieD lives
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It's nice to be a quick busride from the busiest airport in the UK - but you still have to check in an hour early - or two hours for an international flight! Fortunately online!
                                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X