No announcement yet.

Taking bags to the supermarket...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few years ago I wouldn't have dream't of it but now I have a couple of fold up bags in my rucksack and don't feel embarrassed(anymore) using them.

Makes me feel like I'm doing my little bit along with composting, GYO, etc
    Cheers

Danny

Comment

I don't take any bags to the supermarket and don't use any of theirs either. I have 3 of those collapsable plastic boxes in the car boot and pile everything from the trolley straight into those. Get the own bags points too. (The down side is every so often the door guards ask to see my receipt!)
      The cats' valet.

Comment

Co-op do a fairly plain black fabric bag which rolls up small enough to go in a pocket, but which is actually big enough to carry a fair bit of shopping. I always try to use my own bags, unless I'm running out of bin liners.

Comment

As a youngish bloke, I have no problem with taking a (non flowery) reusable bag. I'm not sure what the big deal is. It's just a bag.
          Last edited by BFG; 24-04-2010, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I, too, am old enough to remember when you had to take your own bag to the shops, or use brown paper carrier bags with string handles that cut into your hands if the bag got too full

I also wish that handbags would become a bit more socially acceptable for men. In the meantime you could do what I do, and use a small backpack/daysac. It doesn't have to be an expensive mountaineering one; have a browse round bargain stores, sports shops and downmarket outdoor shops like Yeomans, Millets, and Mountain Wharehouse.
            But remember to take the little Teddy Bear off it before you venture out in public

In communist Soviet Union, and possibly to this day, there was such a general shortage of food and domestic items that everyone carried a compact folding shopping bag with them all the time, just in case they passed a shop that had something useful in stock. It was called a ''Perhaps Bag''

Comment

No walking to our shops since they're 20 miles away! We do, however, keep collapsible plastic boxes in the car and pack them straight from the trolley.

When I lived on another island here and had to carry stuff back to the ferry I used a rucksack. As I grew older I also used a shopping trolley bag, but I can't see you doing that, Ollie!

Mr AC doesn't seem to be averse to carrying a hessian bag with hearts on it to and from the wholefood shop and the library, so I'm not going to mention this thread to him!

I also collect all the clean plastic packaging that the supermarkets are so fond of and stuff it all into a Tesco bag, then deposit it in their recycled bags bin. It probably gets thrown in the rubbish but it gives me some self-righteous joy while I'm doing it!

Comment

I used to take an old bag shopping, but she's moved out now

No supermarkets within walking distance, but on the odd time I pop down to the corner shop for a couple of things I use a small rucksack.
                There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

I dont do it out of principle. Why should I? Its not my responsibility what the supermarkets make their bags out of, and resent them trying to blame me for all the environmental problems they cause by producing non compostable or biodegradable bags. As a customer I expect them to provide me with something to carry my £70 a week shopping home in. If they start trying to charge me, I will simply shop somewhere else...

Comment

the ordinary free bags at checkout are made of biodegradable cornstarch anyway, ( this is why you sometimes find them crumbling away) so the bags for life are just a way of saving the supermarkets money. the bags for life have been sewn using low paid labour, so imo are the worse of the options. i therefore just use the free ones, which i have been charged for in the grocery bill anyway ( nothing is free!) i then recycle them to pick up my dogs muck.

Comment

northpaul- i agree with you totally!!

Comment

I remember those stringy, stretchy bags with a wooden ring for a handle. My you could get loads in them! I didn't realise the bags for life are made using low paid labour, I'll not be buying another one of them.
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

If its a big supermarket shop we've got crates in the back of the car, then for local shopping I take either a cloth bag or my trolley depending how much or how heavy my shopping is.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Sounds like the best solution people have is to save the planet by using my car to drive to the shops

Jeremy Clarkson would be proud!
                            Nah, I'll probably stick to using their bags and just recycling them.
                            Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                            Snadger - Director of Poetry
                            RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                            Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                            Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                            piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Snowdrop has no problems at all in taking the bags with him when he shops (which he does more than me anyway) he also has no problem in carrying them around should he need to go elsewhere first.

But then, this chappie of mine also has no problem in buying my, erm, lady things if they are on the list - I blame the military
                              aka
                              Suzie

Comment

I have the collapsible box's in the boot of the car plus some reusable bags, most of the shops in the town centre ask if you need a bag when you buy something, they don't just presume you want one. The only place you get a plastic bag without asking for one is on the market, there the thin stripped ones that if you put more than a pair of socks in them they split . OH doesn't have a problem taking the bags with him, but it's rare he does the shopping.
                                Last edited by ginger ninger; 25-04-2010, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X