No announcement yet.

Plant related games

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used to do a similar thing to Nicos,but instead of ripping the strings of my Mum and Dad would have us gently pull them out and it we'd have to see who could pull the longest bit out without it breaking...they were the fatter leaves though.

Also,as well as Daisy chains we'd make Daisy poles...you need one daisy with a fairly sturdy stem and then the others you nip off right at the base of the flower and poke the one stem through loads of daisies.

I'd also spend hours on end making the faeries special little flower potions,which Daisy and Ash do now.

Rhona...did you know that if you hold a proper stinging stinging nettle upside down you can run your hand down it without getting stung....I can't guarantee it from experience as I was always too chicken,but whenever the lads at school needed to show off their bravado,that would be the trick to do it
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I once found a whole field of multi-leaved clovers near Walberswick - it must have been a particular kind of clover for fodder - some of them had 7, 8 and 9 leaves on one stem - along with a few 3 and 4 leaved ones, of course.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I love Walberswick

I found my first and only ever true four leafed clover when we were getting desperate that 'd never fall pregnant...just over a year of trying...shortly after I found it I found out I was pregnant with Daisy.I've got it pressed in a little silver faerie frame....who says you need sex?!

Comment

We used to cut straight sections from a giant hogweed/cow parsley to make pea shooters..

The 'peas' were haws from hawthorn bushes.
          Last edited by Scunny Zeb; 20-04-2010, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Rhubarb leaf hats and umbrellas. Mr Potato Head with a real potato, not the plastic variety they have now.
            Last edited by Florence Fennel; 20-04-2010, 07:30 PM.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
              who says you need sex?!
              *Refuses to answer this question

Does conkers count as a flora and fauna game?
              Bob Leponge
              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

and spinning sycamore keys?
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                  *Refuses to answer this question
                  Oooops...I really said that out loud...didn't I?!

I forgot.We used to make 'paint' out of flower petals too.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                    Jeanied reminded me of this one.
                    Rose hip itching powder. Find some rose hips, split them open and use the seeds/fluff as itching powder.
                    I used to know them by the name I learned in Ireland.
                    "Itchybacks."

You'd break them open and just smear them up someone's back.
                    Some little **** used one on a dog one day. Poor mutt!

I only learned that they were called "rose hips" about 15 years later.
                    Last edited by organic; 21-04-2010, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Oh what a lovely lovely thread. When it opened I could not think of anything to add but one by one you have taken me back to days of innocence and imagination.
                      I wonder why we have to close our eyes for this journey.

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
                        Oh what a lovely lovely thread. When it opened I could not think of anything to add but one by one you have taken me back to days of innocence and imagination.
                        I wonder why we have to close our eyes for this journey.
                        I'm guessing we've learnt if we stick itching powder down someones back as an adult we may just get a punch in the face in return/!

I still love to sit down and make Daisy Chains and can't resist shooting a flowerhead off plantain grass...
                        Last edited by di; 21-04-2010, 06:57 AM.

Comment

There's always potato painting too I guess.

What's that plant with the white 'baubles' on it? We used to take them off and throw them hard at the ground so they made a 'pop' sound.
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

nice thread,brings a smile of days gone by when we had to entertain ourselves,no flashy toys,we used to make dens out of what ever was about on the waist land opposit,and go paddling in the brook,looking at the things in it,great freedom,
                            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

You are thinking of the snowberry, HW
                              Common Snowberry (Symphoricarpos Albus) 2 Litre Pot 4060cm - Common Snowberry (Symphoricarpos Albus) Hedging - - www.hedgenursery.co.uk
                              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Dang you're good!
                                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X