Jamie Twit?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a huge fan of Jamie.

His first series is what sparked my interest in cooking, and when I left my previous job they bought me his book - The Return of the Naked Chef. We've bought/been bought almost every other one since.

Like Rhona I find his recipe's and style simple to follow (handful of this, a bosh of that and so on), far less daunting for someone 'starting out'. He 'cut his teeth' under the far more enthusiastic Genaro Contaldo - and he certainly isn't past his sell by date.

How many other chefs have set up a charity, or campaigned to the level he has to get our children eating better food - or set up accessible 'schools' for people to go and learn how to cook for themselves.

Jamie - you're alright by me mate.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Past his sell by date? I guess its the tv program makers who will decide that?

Never really been my cup of tea, ol' Jamie, although the previous Mme Leponge adored him, had signed books etc.
      I agree with the big fella re his charitable and philanthropic stuff though, he is a "name" and uses that for the good and betterment of others.

The only real "single species" cookbooks I possess are HFW, I think the bloke is a living god.
      Bob Leponge
      Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Another vote for Jamie from me - excellent blokie
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

Another Jamie fan here.

Although I did find his last Xmas show really twee and cringeworthy.

Plus his recipe for Turkey gravy was cack. Was just like runny chicken soup.

Putting aside his odd cock-up though I fund his stuff in the main is rather good.

Oh one other point to note is to do your own thing when adding water to his sauce recipes. If you follow his quantites I find the result is a bit too watery,

Comment

I know, literally, it is not possible for me to agree with everything said here but I do in a way. I too followed his progress from school kid cook at his parents pub and the fresh approach he introduced. Today, though, I think he is OTT and has been stage managed to extreme. It's his body language and general appearance that are a turn off for me now.

Comment

Jamie fan here too!

His little bistro in Oxon is fab and not silly priced either.
              I also got to go to Montys (London) when he first opened it (pal was manager) it was just.............WOW..... an evening I will never ever forget! - a whole new world to me all thanks to two very lovely friends.

Comment

Don't like Jamie's style at all and generally avoid him on the TV. Quite a lot of what he cooks is good but he's just to matey for my liking and those ads where he brings half his family / friends along make me reach for the control box and don't get me started on his kids' names........................

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I really like Jamie, I have his first two cookbooks 'Naked Chef' and 'Return of...', but I didn't buy any others because nowhere could I see what size eggs to use in the recipies. I scoured those books from cover to cover - Nada!! I muddle along through some of his recipies, but it still frustrates me - especially as he says baking is a science and you have to be really accurate with weights and measures!!

Comment

Am I alone in rating Nigel Slater, easy food but quality and presented in an easy style.

Comment

Pigletwillie I am a convert to Nigel he is great and I had his book 'Tender' for Christmas, a grate book and can't wait for the new one - out in May????

Comment

Wasnt he the fella that was in Shortie's garden?

For sheer ease, for me, its Lady Delia. Brilliant. (I know one Grape who will now be spitting feathers at that comment, but I think she's great).
                        Bob Leponge
                        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I couldn't stand him to start with, thought he mellowed (or grew on me!) later on.

Didn't rate the US series at all though, which is weird as I found the book really interesting. He just seemed to come across a bit, well, "I know best and I'm doing it this way" in the editing imo.

So not watching this one either. Bought the book though, as I always find something I like in the recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                            Am I alone in rating Nigel Slater, easy food but quality and presented in an easy style.
                            Nope

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                            Wasnt he the fella that was in Shortie's garden?
                            Yep - was good wasn't it
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                              - out in May????
                              I think he was out way before May.
                              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                                I think he was out way before May.
                                Slapped wrist for Wayne for making such a terrible joke!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X