No announcement yet.

The Edible Garden - BBC2 @ 20.00pm

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If anyone is interested in the book to accompany The Edible Garden by Alys it's available for just £7.99 from the Book People. They've also got the James Wong books, Matthew Wilson & Bob Flowerdew on offer.
    https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/weba...0001_10051_100
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

• Anyone else stick with this to the end? I did and I enjoyed the series, but was a bit disappointed with the last episode when she wanted to preserve cabbage but as she hadn't grown any she bought some... I thought that defeated the object of what she was trying to do. Still enjoyed the series though.
      pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Me.....I stayed with it and started to like it more and more - for just what it is. Easy watching 'coffee table' stuff.
        Would love to have tasted some of those preserves
        Think I may look at the book- is there to be a DVD?
        At least her veg did not look perfect and she still used it!
        Some programs seem to grow nothing but "the perfect" vegetables with "the perfect" dew drops harvested on "the perfect" day. My veg are harvested mostly in pants weather, and comes in full of holes and bugs! At least this nice little program gave me hope!

Comment

• I enjoyed the programme too, the best bit being Isobel the dog - too cute!! It gave me some ideas of where to plant stuff around my garden and not just in the "veggie areas". Am definately going to try some of the preserves and other recipes she did. I know that those who have a lot of experience probably found it a little simple...but I am a little simple so really enjoyed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SueA View Post
            If anyone is interested in the book to accompany The Edible Garden by Alys it's available for just £7.99 from the Book People. They've also got the James Wong books, Matthew Wilson & Bob Flowerdew on offer.
            https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/weba...0001_10051_100
            Their prices are good but I don't use them on principal as they charge double postage on delivery north of the Central Belt.

Comment

• I've found that with a lot of companies Plot....and that some companies will only deliver one day a week this far north...pathetic!

Comment

• Check out your local cheap book stores, I am not talking second hand stores though it may be in them too. The one near me has it in for £5.

As for deliveries it is not the companies themselves but the carriers they use for delivery that make those decisions. In that situation it is economics that matter.

Comment

• Last night was probably my least favourite.

I found the bit where she had 'her friends' round for dinner a little awkward. The bit where she answered the door to them, and they came in bearing fruits of their labour.

Enjoyed the series overall though.
                  A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

• I thought the two preserving wifey's were hilarious! You could just imagine them dancing round a large oak tree in the buff worshipping the goddess of preserves!!!

What do you mean by "her friends" Wayne? Do you think they were actors or stoogees?

Comment

• I thought it wasn't convincing either. Very false 'Hellooo' as they arrived - and you're not telling me those thin lasses ate all that dinner (I could, but I've been in training for 60 years!)
                      Yes, buying stuff to preserve is mad. I also found myself haranguing the screen at one point when she was doing something - harvesting or planting or something, but the camera kept tight on her face! We couldn't see a damned thing about the gardening!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• i only caught a glimpse of the program, what was the pink wildflower she was collecting? was it ragged robin ? and what was she doing with it? also, i think i saw a mention of swiss chard- could someone tell me what does that tastes like please? ( i liked the look of the stalk and leaves)

Comment

• Chard tastes like spinach - only a bit stronger!
                          She was collecting the seeds of Himalayan Balsam - an alien 'weed'.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Originally posted by lindyloo View Post
                            i only caught a glimpse of the program, what was the pink wildflower she was collecting?

Himalayan balsam oops didn't see it had already been answered
                            Last edited by swansea girl; 13-05-2010, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• Just what I was going to say Headfry, easy watching, pretty gardening prog. We were never going to learn any groundbreaking stuff here, but I do think the simplicity of it may encourage others not yet gardening to actually have a go. Even if it's just lettuce in pots, that could be the clincher for some to get going. I've bought the book from the Book people and I love it. Just a 'nice' book to flick through.
                              How common is that Himalayan Balsam she was collecting seeds from, never seen it - but then I've never looked!
                              Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

• It will grow anywhere though it does thrive best around water from what I have seen. If you look for it while it is growing it has leaves like giant busy lizzies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X