Edging/raising beds *without* pressure treated wood

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
    What's nice about Linkaboard is that you can move it from place to place!
    oh so useful seeing as I am married to a chap who works for a company that moves us often
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

Some really helpful posts - thanks everyone.

Right...
      That slug-guard lawn edging would cost me about £300 to do all the beds on my plot. I definitely approve of something with built-in anti-slug measures but at that price it's not happening.

I've not got a price for the Linkaboard stuff but I'm guessing it'll be prohibitively expensive in the quantities I need too.

I'll probably end up going for either paving stones (There's a few on the site and on my plot that I could make use of) or wood and just accept that it'll need replacing now and then.

I'll see about getting hold of some scaffolding boards but from what I've been told, they don't get replaced all that often so it may be a long wait.

I might end up using treated wood, but I still have concerns about chemicals leaching. Zazen's comment about new wood being OK organically is encouraging, but at the moment all I've got to go on is the thing I read about treated wood in contact with rich soil or compost can leach a fair bit and I'm not all that comfortable with that idea.

Maybe it's fine - but I'll need to look for a study of some sort before I go with that.

The current favourite is probably old wood hacked to thickness on my table saw and splashed with a bit of danish oil or some such.

We'll see.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X