Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank charges

Hi,

Have any of you tried to reclaim bank charges?

I have been looking at some sites who will do it on your behalf and charge around 10% which seems ok but I am not sure how safe they are?

I know a lot of people are doing this now as these charges are illegal but it would be good to know someone who has done this.

Mandy

Here's the 'reclaim your bank charges' thread on moneysavingexpert.com, I expect you've seen it? did martin start the ball-rolling?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...lay.html?f=102
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Hi SBP,

I had not seen this one thanks, looks like it might be worth a try......

Mandy

Comment

Try this site, Motley Fool. It's one of my favourites for keeping up with things, and this page details how to reclaim bank charges.

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/foolseyev...fev060504c.htm

Comment

I reclaimed one lot from first direct, and I'm about to start a claim against Nationwide

As long as you follow the correct procedure, it's a straight forward process.
          Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

mandy, I would thoroughly endorse sbp's recommendation of moneysavingexpert.com. Martin Lewis is on the Jeremy Vine programme quite reqularly (ie tomorrow 2 February 2007). He really, really knows his stuff, and his advice can be relied on. As sbp says, I'm pretty certain he 'started the ball rolling'.

We affectionately call him motormouth, because he talks so fast, but his advice is A1 OK. As he calls himself - moneysavingexpert - he is on your side 100%. The banks and building societies are 'the enemy'+++.

Give his website a go!!

Comment

My son (24) recently claimed against his bank. He went off to the branch office with a determined stride and all the relevant paperwork, and sat at the customer service desk with a succession of three members of staff, until they gave him his (unfairly charged) money back. The sum involved was £60. I'm very proud of him - seems a very grown-up thing to do
              SSx
              not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Hello Mandy, I don't know what kind of sums you are talking about, but go to your Citizens Advice Bureau. I work voluntarilary for them and deal with that problem all the time. They will deal with the matter for you, as most of these charges are illegal. The only point you have to be aware of is they may say "fine" but we are closing your account, which they are entitled to do. If you are talking about big somes of money, open another account before you go to war with them, to make sure you still have a banking facility available to you. Hope you get it all sorted out.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Mandy,

I am currently in dispute with the HSBC over some £400 of charges. I registered on this forum as a well known 18c highwayman....

http://www.penaltycharges.co.uk/guide/index.html

The people there are really friendly and helpful. Follow their advice and hold your nerve and you WILL win. The banks have never let a case go through the court yet. They always back down at the last minute. Don't let them try and fob you of with a partial offer either. Any court fees you may incur will be added to any settlement in your favour, so you are not out of pocket.

The banks are worried and are trying to keep a lid on the thing. However, the word is spreading. Go for it.

Martyn.

Comment

Petuaria Pete is right Mandy. Just cover your back while you are doing it.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks everyone, good to hear that some of you have already had your money returned.

The war against banks starts now

Mandy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X