Putting people on the map

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting people on the map

It has been noted by a few people that a large number of grapes come from Scotland. It has also been noticed that some areas do not see any copies of GYO in their local shops.
    This has lead me to wonder where everyone grows their own. so being the nosey person I am I thought I would start a poll.
    Jax
    England
    66.67%
    Scotland
    22.22%
    Southern Ireland
    4.44%
    Northern Ireland
    2.22%
    Wales
    2.22%
    Other
    2.22%

Jaxom,

Argyll, west coast of Scotland, Kintyre peninsula to be precise. I found GYO magazine when it was brand new in my local Tesco and decided to subscribe in case I ever had any difficulty obtaining a copy. It disappeared from the shelves within a month or so, never to return.. Glad I subscribed.

Lorna.
    Lorna.

Comment

Lincolnshire - but not through choice

I'm in Lincolnshire at the minute due to the boyfs job, but I'm half Welsh, half American (long story)

Comment

Saddleworth

We have all three types of rain up here, wet, wetter and drenched but when it shines - oh boy.

Andrewo
        Best wishes
        Andrewo
        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Shetland - (remote Scottish Island)

First came across GYO in local newsagents, and see it is regularly stocked in both supermarkets and the two newsagents in Lerwick. I do subscribe so I dont have to chance getting a copy, but good to see it so well stocked here. In recent years a great rise in interest in gardening, veg and flowers.

My usual gripe though (and apologies to those of you who have already read this in another post) - in the past not all the offers in the mag have been available outside Mainland UK. This is one thing that might stop people buying the mag here.
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Warwickshire - Shakespeare Country

Well thats what it says on the road signs! North Warwickshire to be a bit more precise at 500'ASL

ntg
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

I've never seen a GYO mag in the shops - not anywhere in Edinburgh or across the water in Fife...I can't honestly remember how I came to subscribe - I think I must have found out about it online as I'm generally glued to my computer 24 hours of the day because of my work...sad but true...

Comment

Tain, oldest Royal Burgh in Scotland, 35 miles north of Inverness, 2 minutes walk from ther coast. Been here for 5 years - best move I ever made. GYO seems widely available up here, but subscribe anyway just to be sure. Know of two other grapes who are close by - in the Black Isle area - Eileendubher and Muckyliz
                Rat
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm in the best place in space- Scotland. More precisely beside Muir of Ord. Glen Ord distillery area- oh what a shame they don't leave it open at night for sampling-have to have another glass of red!
                  I found GYO in the Tesco in Dingwall- pure chance as I rarely go in there; however so glad I did as now I've got a great mag every month and picked up loads of tips and ideas from others on the Vine.
                  Thanks to Sewer Rat a bit further North for his info.

Comment

Eileandubher
                    Know where you are well - not just because of the distillery but we do drainage work on a few farms over your way each Spring - up the hill, and on the back road to Fairburn. The only house I can picture just now has a large leafed Ivy growing up a column at the front - do you know it ?
                    Rat
                    Rat

British by birth

Comment

blow in

Left Warwickshire (Shakespeare's County as per NTG post) in 1997 and moved to North East corner. 25 miles from Aberdeen so it's far enough away when we don't need it and close enough when we do.

Wife has a horse (great for poo) and we have land which we certainly wouldn't have been able to have back in Leamington Spa.

Wind is the major problem but there are lots of posts on that elsewhere on the vine. When it's sunny, or calm, or overcast, or rainy, or windy even, it's lovely.
                      Dave

Do what you enjoy, or learn to enjoy what you do - life is too short.

Comment

dni dave - Geordie gave me some really good ideas in a very early post last year about windbreaks. Gradually building mine up, but like you, wind the biggest problem.

Is yours salt laden? We are two miles from the coast, but in a wind tunnel which comes from the SW and the sea, so might as well be on the coast.
                        ~
                        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Sewer Rat
                          Don't know the one with the column of Ivy- not been beside the Muir long- moved over from beside Kilmuir on the Black Isle last year and just geting to grips with a delapidated garden here. Spent the last few days digging out a tumbled down wall out of a raised area I would like to put to veg. Adding some horse poo to the new compost bins from Highland Council and more digging- thinking of this no dig thing for this year if I cant get on a bit quicker- think its a quarry I've got here!
                          Knackered Eileandubher

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson
                            dni dave - Geordie gave me some really good ideas in a very early post last year about windbreaks. Gradually building mine up, but like you, wind the biggest problem.

Is yours salt laden? We are two miles from the coast, but in a wind tunnel which comes from the SW and the sea, so might as well be on the coast.
                            Jennie
                            We're about 12 miles from the East coast and a lot further from the Fraserburgh coast so we don't get the salt laden stuff.

I have a picture of the fence and wind protection fabric we've put up somewhere on the vine. Sewer rat and I were going over what we both do for wind.

I heard somewhere that sheltering from wind is as good a boost as you can give a plant. We are planning to divide the plot up some more maybe this year, maybe next.
                            Dave

Do what you enjoy, or learn to enjoy what you do - life is too short.

Comment

The best cure for problem wind is to lay off the beans !
                              Rat
                              Rat

British by birth

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...