No announcement yet.

Insured - To be or not to be?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News to me. They charge a pretty penny for turning out - especially if it involves a helicopter so I'd be surprised if they stopped.

That said - I do tend to take a pretty self-sufficient approach when I'm in the hills. I can think of two occasions where most would have called for help and I've got myself out on my own - one where I lost my way in clouds and another where I was injured.

Where did you read that?

Comment

Originally posted by matthew2riches View Post
      Exactly the same here... unless required by law, I don't need it

Basically what More Th>n are saying is that next year I would write my van off...... twice and a bit For something costing only £500ish I am not paying £1000 odd £ to insure it

I am the sort that saves a lot so if I do need something, I can get it. I think it's called being savvy???
      but you are not paying incase you write your van off...
      you are paying incase you damage someone else's vehicle..
      or can you afford X amounts of thousands and the cost of replacement car hire while their shiney new Merc/BMW is in the garage being fixed.

Comment

I have pet insurance for my Ridgeback and have had to use it twice over the past 6 years, but not for a huge amount probably no more than £150 each time. However one of my sisters chocolate labs has been diagosed with cancer and is under taking chemotherapy every tuesday, the insurance paid out up to a limited amount of money and she has had to borrow £4000 from the in-laws to make up the difference. I have house insurance but only because i rent and its part of my t&c's, the landlord has to have the building insurance and i have to have the contents (as the house is unfurnished), never had to claim yet (fingers crossed & touch wood)
        Life isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Wouldn't be without pet insurance for my 2 dogs.... partly due to the 3rd party cover it gives me should they cause an accident on a road etc...

However, youngest dog somehow tore a nail... 3 vet vists, 1 sedation and nail removal later and we are looking at the best part of £250. I will claim on my insurance, as I only have a £60 excess on it.

We've probably claimed once a year for an accident, but they've all cost over £200....

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
            I won't pay pet insurance, I have heard too many stories of what they won't pay out on.

I put £20 per month into a cash ISA, they (my two cats) have a tidy sum building up.
            Nice to have some cash in the kitty.
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by Sprocket* View Post
              We have Pet Plan insurance for my two Springers, one is 4 and the other 2, to date they have paid out £4789 between the pair. We joke that they will be having an office party when my two go to Rainbow Bridge. I wouldn't have any other pet insurance as I have heard horror stories of what they will and won't cover.
              Yes, we have Pet Plan too and not only have we never had any problems with them paying up (and in one case for ongoing treatment, they paid in installments to keep the money moving but thankfully only charged a single excess), nor have I heard of anybody else having problems. Can't speak so highly of some of the other (sometimes cheaper) companies who don't pay up easily and also put a lot of exclusions in when the animal hits a certain age.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                I won't pay pet insurance, I have heard too many stories of what they won't pay out on.

I put £20 per month into a cash ISA, they (my two cats) have a tidy sum building up.
                That's exactly what I'm doing with my parrots. Not having insurance makes me extra careful around her.

The only other thing I have of value is my bike (worth £1200 new) and nobody will insure it. Bikes are too frequently nicked it seems. I'm just extra careful where I park it, etc.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I am more or less convinced that household appliances are designed with a RIP date and most insurances will not offer cover beyond this. If you do decide to insure, in most cases, the cost of this exceeds the cost of replacement whenever.

Just a little tale about a neighbour of ours. She was West Indian of Cuban descent and came to Great Britain at the beginning of World War 2 because of national pressure to do their bit. She was a lovely lady but very vunerable.
                  She became very fond of our son. Quite a few years back there was a national alert that a meteor was running wild and could land at anytime, anywhere. She, bless her was so concerned about our boy that she took out an insurance against him being hit. BUT!!! she had to specify his injuries If that is not taking the p**s what is?

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
                    I am more or less convinced that household appliances are designed with a RIP date and most insurances will not offer cover beyond this. If you do decide to insure, in most cases, the cost of this exceeds the cost of replacement whenever.

Just a little tale about a neighbour of ours. She was West Indian of Cuban descent and came to Great Britain at the beginning of World War 2 because of national pressure to do their bit. She was a lovely lady but very vunerable.
                    She became very fond of our son. Quite a few years back there was a national alert that a meteor was running wild and could land at anytime, anywhere. She, bless her was so concerned about our boy that she took out an insurance against him being hit. BUT!!! she had to specify his injuries If that is not taking the p**s what is?
                    I looked at insuring a new washing machine from Comet and it would be safer just to stash this money for 2 years and I could buy a NEW washing machine
                    All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                    For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

I only have the bare minimum insurance. House contents and car - we don't have any pets and don't think it's work covering the electrical stuff covered.

the one that really pees me off is from our local water company. It's written in such a way it's designed to make the reader panic about the water pipe that connects your house to the mains which is your responsibility, and how expensive it is to fix it blah blah blah blah.

ARGH! GO AWAY!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X