No announcement yet.

Time to check your freezers!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erm.... Seriously - how long have you got? And what a truly inspired thread my darling Nicos!!

We moved last April, and the removal men moved my chest freezer completely full (how do they DO that?!) and I have completely no idea what's in there, apart from that I kept picking soft fruit in our new kitchen garden last summer and piling that lot on top of the spaces that I'd created by defrosting homemade soups for Trousers's lunch flask.
    But I have a cunning plan now that I have noo kitchen worksurfaces: I am ready to empty the contents of my freezers onto them. Please do pity me hugely as you get the mental picture of Wellie being completely surrounded by unlabelled tupperwares of mystery contents.

In the words of Rolf Harris.... "Can You Guess What It Is Yet?"

Comment

No I can't, but I know what you mean. I have several things like that in my freezer Wellie, and it can be a bit of a guessing game, and a bit of not wanting to waste it either. Because you wouldn't have put it in the freezer if you didn't want it later now would you. Anyways good luck.

Comment

Great minds think alike - I am working on eating the contents of the freezer and hoping that I can make it through to pay day without having to add anything from the shops (apart from milk). I think by the end we will be living on Runner Beans (mothers on storage - appears to have forgotten about them) and cauliflower. Tonights dinner is to be Venison with a selection of veg and roast parsnips followed by Blackberry and Apple Pie. Dinner anyone?
        Karen

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
        Even a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step!

Comment

Sprocket, please tell me that you haven't got your mother in there 'on storage', no wonder she's forgotten about the beans mate....
          I found some half-price Venison Steaks in Waitrose the other week myself, and banged them in the freezer straight away, and we had them last Saturday. Rare, and quality, with a wellie sauce to die for.....
          That's where a freezer REALLY earns its' keep, when you find a fantastic buy like that.
          I am actually becoming an expert. I kid you not.

Comment

Got some plums from 2 years ago.
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

great thread and brilliant for when pennies are short (most of the time actually!). have found a number of interesting things myself - lots of part cooked tomatoes for sauce; huge bag of blackcurrants - what should i do with them?????

Comment

Got nothing left in mine except bought from supermarket stuff.
                All ready to go for this year now.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
                  huge bag of blackcurrants - what should i do with them?????
                  being lazy, i put mine in a large jar and topped it up with vodka!!!!

roll on hot summer days .......with chilled blackcurrant vodka
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Like Brengirl, I've got at least two enormous bags of runner beans left. My OH has gone off them, so I don't know what to do with them now.

Note to self: Only grow French Beans this year!!

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                      Sprocket, please tell me that you haven't got your mother in there 'on storage', no wonder she's forgotten about the beans mate....
                      I found some half-price Venison Steaks in Waitrose the other week myself, and banged them in the freezer straight away, and we had them last Saturday. Rare, and quality, with a wellie sauce to die for.....
                      That's where a freezer REALLY earns its' keep, when you find a fantastic buy like that.
                      I am actually becoming an expert. I kid you not.
                      i know what you mean wellie,
                      i was in my local tesco store and ended up spending £12on smoked and normal fish and £16 on pork. at the discount prices i saved over £40 still i have also made
                      5lb of plum jam
                      7lb of blackberry jam
                      and 3lb of my fave allotment berry jelly all from freezer fruit
                      Last edited by phil the shed; 10-03-2010, 11:09 AM. Reason: sperring
                      this will be a battle from the heart
                      cymru am byth

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                        Like Brengirl, I've got at least two enormous bags of runner beans left. My OH has gone off them, so I don't know what to do with them now.

Note to self: Only grow French Beans this year!!
                        make runner bean chutney i might have the recipe somewhere

this is the one i used link attached
                        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ney_38623.html
                        Last edited by phil the shed; 10-03-2010, 11:11 AM.
                        this will be a battle from the heart
                        cymru am byth

Comment

Originally posted by phil the shed View Post
                          make runner bean chutney i might have the recipe somewhere

this is the one i used link attached
                          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ney_38623.html
                          Well I never! I think I'll try that, thanks Phil!!

Comment

I think i have a few lonely peppers left in my freezer!

I cant wait to move house soon so i can get a big chest freezer!

PS. Plum jam is yummy and very easy to make!
                            Last edited by EssexGirl; 10-03-2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Having given away one of my freezers, Im still adjusting to having only the one. Gosh! Its hard! Mind you, having to watch the pennies this month, after an expensive February, we are having some strange combination meals, but Im determined to make some room in my one remaining freezer.
                              Bernie one freezer DDL
                              PS Does anyone know someone who can give counselling to a one freezer DDL?
                              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

DDL, I can give you counselling? Previously, I think I had between four and 6 freezers in total? Clearly, I am still in denial, or else I'd be able to remember for certain, but one of them caught fire in the garage (happily whilst I was in the garage, so did actually notice?) and Trousers put the fire out with a bottle of Lemonade. I know, I know... don't try this at home?, and as each of them hit the graveyard, we tried to make use of them..... more of "Doing A Bob Flowerdew, rather than Doing A Delia", and then of course, we had to explain to our solicitor on moving-out-day exactly WHY we had 6 redundant freezers on the grass verge outside the cottage, that the new resident prolly wouldn't be too pleased about until the council came and took them away.
                                Laugh? I nearly bought a round..... It WAS funny.
                                I seriously miss them. I'm having to think of all sorts of ways different now, like Bottling, as if I didn't have enough to do?
                                Nicos. Gold Star for this thread darling.X.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X