Giving money to the homeless

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
    I don't give to individuals. I do, however, donate tinned and dried food through the local church several times a year to the Homeless and Rootless Project. (In Hull - other homeless and rootless charities no doubt exist.)
    I give to the salvation army soup kitchen (and christmas appeal) and I will donate at the charity shop but I dont like giving to the bully in the street

Comment

Originally posted by ammi View Post
      He kind of bullies people into buying the mag from him and if you tell him no he follows you from shop to shop trying to push you into buying it.

If that's true, you should report him, although it seems a poor choice as a selling strategy: people are avoiding him, so he'll sell fewer copies
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 23-02-2010, 03:04 PM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by ammi View Post
        He kind of bullies people into buying the mag from him and if you tell him no he follows you from shop to shop trying to push you into buying it.
        I try to avoid him and have even found myself leaving the shopping and going back home empty handed just to avoid him
        He definately needs reporting!
        Unfortunately a lot of people that find themselves homeless also have other Mental Health issues to deal with....sounds like The Big Issue's not for him.
        The sellers in Ipswich are all pretty friendly.
        I can't think of anything more miserable than standing on a street corner for hours on end...in all weather and continually calling out 'Big Issue'...yet the majority of them still manage a smile and genuine gratitude when you do stop to buy.
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
          I once offered one some of my chips after a night out when he asked me for money to buy food and he replied, "No thanks, I don't like chips"!
          I don't blame them for not taking offers of food. I bet there are people who put nasty things inside food

Also, people with chronic drug/alcohol problems may genuinely not be able to eat much solid food (lack of teeth, stomach complaints etc)

I gave our local vendor a carton of juice recently, but it was clearly still sealed. I wouldn't have been offended if she'd said she doesn't like juice.
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 23-02-2010, 03:11 PM.

Comment

So beggars can be choosers?
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              I don't blame them for not taking offers of food. I bet there are people who put nasty things inside food

Also, people with chronic drug/alcohol problems may genuinely not be able to eat much solid food (lack of teeth, stomach complaints etc)

I gave our local vendor a carton of juice recently, but it was clearly still sealed. I wouldn't have been offended if she'd said she doesn't like juice.
              Possibly right, though often your gut instinct tells you something's not right. I could be wrong, but I got the impression that no matter what food I'd have offered him he just wanted money.
              Last edited by OllieMartin; 23-02-2010, 03:13 PM.
              Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
              Snadger - Director of Poetry
              RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
              Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
              Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
              piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

I used to buy the big issue from the same bloke when I was a student in Bristol. I probably did it for a year or so, and often had a bit of a chat too. I felt it was more worthwhile supporting the same person regularly than spreading a few pennies thinly. He was eventually given a flat, stopped drinking heavily and seemed to get his life turned around, which if true, was great.

It is easy to be cynical, and of course, i don't know this man's real story, or if what he told me was true, but if my support did help him turn his life around, it was money well spent.

I just feel that not everyone should be tarred with the same brush.

Comment

Few years ago after a day and night on the beer in the big city, I was staggering into a Macs for a bit of sustenance. Tramp type fella sat outside the Golden Arches asked me for a bit of cash, and I refused. Got inside, ordering my immense snack and guilt took over, so after I finished I went and ordered a burger and milkshake for him.
                  Walked out and handed it over.

Leaving out the swear words the gentleman made it clear he didnt want my food he only wanted my money.
                  Unfortunately for him the milk shake appeared to slip out of my hands and cover him in cold strawberry stuff.

Because of him I generally dont give to homeless people who are begging on the streets either, although I do support a wonderful charity for the homeless called Emmaus (if I was clever like TS I would do one of them link thingys) and suggest you have a look round 'Ull for one should you wish to give something Ollie.
                  Bob Leponge
                  Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                    Possibly right, though often your gut instinct tells you something's not right. I could be wrong, but I got the impression that no matter what food I'd have offered him he just wanted money.
                    Doesn't neceessarily make him a bad person though...agreed?

We all have the right to chose how or if we support homeless people.
                    Maybe giving individuals money isn't helping in the long term.But my thoughts are that the last thing they need is judgement from anyone.If you don't want to give don't...or maybe do as Flum does and donate cans/other foodstuffs to a local soup kitchen.
                    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                      ...But my thoughts are that the last thing they need is judgement from anyone..
                      Oh so true - until you have walked a mile in their shoes as they say!
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                        I do support a wonderful charity for the homeless called Emmaus .
                        Welcome to Emmaus UK

Bob, you just go to the website you want, highlight the address bit, click on Ctrl C (copy) then post on here and click Ctrl V (paste). Mind you, you may need to use Google to find the website in the first place
                        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 23-02-2010, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post

Just like wot she dun up there^^^^
                          Bob Leponge
                          Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                            Just like wot she dun up there^^^^
                            and here's one he did earlier
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                              Oh so true - until you have walked a mile in their shoes as they say!
                              I believe the full saying is:
                              "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

If I'm honest I'm far too judgemental of people, I don't think I'm better than anyone, but I do tend to make my mind up rather quickly about them.
                              Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                              Snadger - Director of Poetry
                              RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                              Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                              Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                              piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Ollie, it's called instinct. And it's quite often accurate. One of the things that has been "learned" out of us.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X