Computer expert in da house??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer expert in da house??

I had a laptop, it died. Wasn't the internal gubbins but the power supply business. I took out the hard drive and sent it to my mate, who bought a case to turn it into an external hard drive type thing.
    He tested it on his lappy and it worked fine, however I now have it in my hand, and it wont work.
    My computers (lappy and home desk top thing) both know there is something there, they make "that" sound when its connected/disconnected, but they dont "see" it.
    I have a disk that comes with it, but it wont autorun, nor does it give me the right click option to autorun it.

Any ideas?
    Would really love to get it working as there are photo's on there of my first granddaughter when she was only days old.
    I know I could just send it back to my mate to download the pictures, but I would actually like to have an external hard drive anyway.
    Bob Leponge
    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

ah there you are! really good to see you

Sorry, can't help with the HD issue
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

How's it connected, USB?

I've a couple of external hard drives, both are connected via USB which usually make it easy to connect up.

I'd check with your mate to see how he's configured them.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

my external HD connects via USB - sometimes I have to reboot for them to find each other
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

Bob,

Best thing obviously would be to call your mate and ask him. But as I assume that's not possibe at the moment ...

Presumably you are connecting the external hard drive via a USB cable? And it's making the "dunk-dink" and "dink-dunk" noises when you plug and unplug it from your PC? Does the external HD have a separate power supply?

The disk that comes with it is most probably a drivers disk. If you go into Windows Explorer and click on that to look at it's contents is there something in there called "setup.exe"?
          There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Ta for the advice all.
            It was indeed making that noise Hotstuff, and it is connected by a USB cable, but in fact my computer wizardry was making itself apparent. There were 2 cables, both USB, one for data and the other one for ........

Go on, read down

Power.

Doh!!!!!!!!
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Odd - neither of mine need extra power, they both just have a USB and that's it.

Made me smile dude - I believe the phrase is 'lol'
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I have 2 external hard drives. One has mains power, one doesn't. The one that runs off the mains can be played through my USB port on the DVD player & TV but the HD that is powered via the PC USB cannot be played through the DVD player.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Bobs - are you saying you didn't check the petrol?
                  aka
                  Suzie

Comment

Pisk,

I think my First Works Parade was fairly lax.

I have seen these HD thingys before, and they just had one lead, a data/USB thingy. Wasnt really sure why mine had 2, till I tried it.
                    Bob Leponge

Comment

click start, then click on my computer, this will tell you what drives are connected to your comp, eg floppy,local disc, cd/dvd drives, also external drives, right click on the drive then click on properties then click on autorun select ok, should then autorun your disc. hope this helps, what os are you using

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X