No announcement yet.

Were you a Guide/Scout???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't do Brownies due to being moved about so often that it was impossible. Once my Dad left the RAF we settled in Cheshire and I joined the Guides. The guide leader wasn't interested in ordinary girls though as we had two sisters who were going for their Queen's Guide award so she concentrated on them.

My friend and I were asked to leave after 6 months though as we kept staying off to watch Charlie's Angels on tv (Farah Fawcett, Jaclyn Smith and Kate Jackson) No plus+ channels back then, and CA was much more exciting that Mrs Martin telling us how useless we all were (despite an armful of badges) in comparison to the Queen's Guides sisters

Jules
    Last edited by julesapple; 22-02-2010, 03:05 PM.
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      You didn't miss much
      With the help of a Tawny Owl and a Snowy Owl, I used to put in an awful lot of hours making sure that the Brownie Meetings were interesting and enjoyable and there were very few who didn't stay from age 7 to 10 and then go on into Guides. It's a wonderful movement for the girls who want to enjoy it.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
        With the help of a Tawny Owl and a Snowy Owl, I used to put in an awful lot of hours making sure that the Brownie Meetings were interesting and enjoyable and there were very few who didn't stay from age 7 to 10 and then go on into Guides. It's a wonderful movement for the girls who want to enjoy it.
        I think that we are both generalising. Sounds like you worked hard and had a successful group. My experience is that the meetings were in a cold village hall and were very dull and old fashioned feeling when I wanted to be out doing stuff like my brothers had been able to do at scouts etc. Same movement but totally different experiences. Am guessing that there are good and bad groups but the whole movement is neither wonderful nor rubbish

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'm sorry that you didn't have a good experience of Brownies Alison, I was going to say you would have if you had been in our Pack, but it looks like you would have wanted to be in the cubs anyways!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            2005 - they started on the right foot [thinking about food]....

I was a Brownie for one week and a guide for two.

Brownies - they spent the evening looking at butterflies [don't like dead things, so didn't go back]

Guides - first week spent planning the next week's outing. Second week spent with teabags over my eyes as as soon as we got to the woods I came out in a full body rash, couldn't see out my eyes and couldn't wait to get home and have a bath. Nightmare. Never went back.
            lol! Sorry made me chuckle and I could do with a laugh today X

Comment

Iwas a brownie for what seemed like years. Left when them made a girl younger tham me seconder... it just wasn't the done thing! lol

Comment

Was a cub and then became a sea scout in Durban Harbour South Africa loved it no cold draughty village halls there canoeing in the Indian ocean, bar b qs and a warm climate. Obviously left when we move back to the uk joined the Army Cadets just wasn't the same running around fields with mock guns in the middle January and camping outside. Character building yeah right had more fun avoiding the sharks in the harbour at Durban.
                http://ivansfruitandveg.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was in the Boys Brigade until I beat the teach at arm wrestling and got chucked out!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Brownie, Guide, Queen's Guide and Ranger here - then I sort of lost the plot and have not got involved since. Shame that, really.
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Pretty sure Thinking Day was on the go when I was little. I was Brownie, Guide, Ranger and Venture Scout. I loved it. Learn so much, tried so many new things and had great experiences. I even got to help at a Garden Party at Buckingham Palace, spent the day with a Beefeater and got paid a golden nugget (that's a £1 coin!)
                      Elsie

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                        Brownie, Guide, Queen's Guide and Ranger here - then I sort of lost the plot and have not got involved since. Shame that, really.
                        I knew we had a lot in common Jeanied!

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                          I knew we had a lot in common Jeanied!
                          I'd been thinking that FF!

In fact I didn't have a whole lot of choice - rural childhood so not a lot else for a girl to do ... oh and Mother was the District Commissioner! All many moons ago!
                          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Brownie, guide and ranger. I still send and receive Christmas cards from my guide leader,
                            some 35 years on!!!! fab times and have her (Mrs B) to thank for my love of camping, Mr HF and I try to go as often as we can.

Comment

No brownies available in our village, but when I went to grammar school 20 miles away there were two Guide companies attached to the school. I loved it! Lots of outdoor things when the weather was good and plenty of rather more cerebral stuff in the school when it wasn't. Chemistry teacher was our leader and biology teacher her deputy and both full of really interesting ideas, giving it a tremendous buzz. We were really lucky and it's disappointing to hear that so many people had such poor experiences of brownies and guides.

Comment

I was a brownie and then a guide, but left early as didn't quite see eye to eye with our guide leader! Joined the Venture Scouts after that which was much more relaxed and fun!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X