Seeds Are Here!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeds Are Here!!!

Postman arrived today with a rather large box containing most seeds for this year!

I have over ordered and I'm glad I did If I can't make the lottie a success this year I'll never be able to

So... what was in the box? I've gone for a lot of the commercial favourites and all-time classics this year of traditional lottie veg to tie into my WWII Dig For Victory theme.

Aquadulce broadies - planting at the weekend
    Early nantes carrots (pelleted for easy sowing)
    Lyon 2 leeks
    Feltham first peas
    Scarlet emperor runners
    F1 Head start sweetcorn

along with a load of others.......

I will be sowing sweet peas for shading the greenhouse - when should these be planted?
    All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
    For a cleaner, greener future!

You can get them in now Matthew. Autumn or spring for sweet peas. A lot of people chit them but I just soak overnight and bang em in. Put them in root trainers, loo rolls, or several to a deepish pot and separate them when big enough to plant out. I nip out the tops at about 4" high.
    Last edited by Flummery; 18-02-2010, 01:41 PM.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

i'm waiting for a whole loads of seeds too (not that I need anymore but er......)

Comment

Hi Flum, where do you keep the sweet pea seeds when they germinate. Would you put them in a cold greenhouse. I don't have the space in the house right now but have plenty of space in the greenhouse.
        Any advice helpful as I never seem to do all that well with the sweet peas.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Mine went into a cold frame (with a broken pane!) in autumn - they are now outside and thriving. They'd be fine in a cold greenhouse. They are pretty tough.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            You can get them in now Matthew. Autumn or spring for sweet peas. A lot of people chit them but I just soak overnight and bang em in. Put them in root trainers, loo rolls, or several to a deepish pot and separate them when big enough to plant out. I nip out the tops at about 4" high.
            I don't even soak them. Just put 2 or 3 in each root trainer and grow on. Make sure you pinch them out when a few inches tall so that they throw up more shoots and they're just fab!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Right... So that's sweet peas sorted too! I'll spend time planting some things over the next few days if the rain goes

Comment

how long do sweet peas take to germinate? I've been waiting for mine for a week now

Comment

I set mine on the 4th Feb and they had germinated on the 12th in a unheated propagator on the kitchen window sill.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
                    how long do sweet peas take to germinate? I've been waiting for mine for a week now
                    They'll be up in the next week

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X