No announcement yet.

Other forums..

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Gwen11ian! I sympathise with your exasperation about the 'smiley text speak', it drives me mad and makes me feel I'm turning into a Grumpy Old Woman (I'm nearing my mid forties so would hope to be a long way from there at the moment!).

When I was pregnant with my daughter, 9 years ago, I joined a forum on Babyworld - but a.) they many no longer exist and, b.) the users of the forum may have also moved on to the dreaded smiley text speak too. At the time it was great, but who knows what it may be like now!

Good luck with your search (and most of all with your pregnancy!) - hope you find something to suit, and in the meantime we're always here with sympathy to your plight! (And in my case, overuse of the dreaded exclamation mark, but it is one of my weaknesses I'm afraid... *pulls finger away from the number one key*).
    Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

I joined Mumsnet and Babycentre. They're generally friendly and useful bits of information to be had.

I think you'll find that a LOT of people 'talk' like that. It's irritating, but there it is. Less of it on Mumsnet - tends to be a bit more grown up there.
      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
        bet u a pnd thay dn't.
        que????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
          There is a flip side to this though. At least people are able to communicate. It may be in a b*stard language, but that doesn't really differ from thick Scottish or Cockney.
          As a thick Cockney b*stard I take objection to that
          There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
            I joined Mumsnet and Babycentre. They're generally friendly and useful bits of information to be had.

I think you'll find that a LOT of people 'talk' like that. It's irritating, but there it is. Less of it on Mumsnet - tends to be a bit more grown up there.
            Another vote here for Babycentre. LadyWayne doesn't really "do" forums, but she found that one to be the best overall.

In terms of education - it's nothing without the support of the parents.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I had a serious illness when I was about 7 and 8 years old. In those days there were no provisions for private tutoring for kids who have to stay in hospital for 6 months then another 8 months at homeand my parents were not rich. Fortunately we had a very enlightened head teacher (or head master as they were back then even in primary schools). He told my mother to get me reading material, even if it was comics. and so I progressed from the Beano, Dandy, Topper, Eagle etc. through a series of 'comic strip' classics like Dickens and Dumas to the actual books themselves because if I couldn't find new things to read I got bored. Of course there was nobody to text me or to chat to on Facebook. I think that is how I continued with my education with no real disruption as far as one of the 3 Rs was concerned. Or maybe I was just a nachooral jeenius?
              Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
              >
              >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                We're trying! We've been trying for ages. Thing is, he refuses to read, or try to read. He has a 1000 excuses for why he doesn't do his (recommended daily 5 or 10 mins) of reading at home.

This one is the lowest ability, but we have scores of others who are also poor or very poor readers. We can't give them all one-to-one reading tuition. Our (unpaid, voluntary) helpers are already busy all the hours that they come in to school.
                My son was the same until he was allowed to read a book he was actually interested in, The animals of the world as far as I can remember.

He is now 13 and a year ahead in English and three in Science !

Not saying you have the same situation at your school ! Just amazing how it can all turn around one day after struggling for years.

innit
                You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

I live in Hull which has one of the poorest education statistics in the country. The most common errors I notice here are people muddling up the words "being" and "been" and I had a colleague who couldn't tell the difference between "has" and "as" because she didn't pronounce the "h". However she did know this was a problem and used to ask me to proof read all her work..
                  Surely you live in 'ull then & any way wot 'appened to the Kingston - upon bit.
                  Last edited by bubblewrap; 18-02-2010, 04:28 PM.
                  The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                  Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                    Surely you live in 'ull then & any way wot 'appened to the Kingston - upon bit.
                    Takes too long to text "Kingston-upon-Hull"!

And it's only "Hull" to me because I'm not from here so don't have the accent, otherwise you're right "'Ull" is the preferred shibboleth!
                    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                    Snadger - Director of Poetry
                    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

"'Ull" is the preferred shibboleth!
                      Gesundheit mein herr.
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Wasn't Shibboleth a biblical queen?
                        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                        >
                        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Most children that struggle with reading, in spite of not being 'special needs' it's because their parents don't give 2 hoots about education in general and reading in particular.
                          Slightly (only slightly) better was the man I saw with a small child (aged 3 I guess) telling the child "No you can't have a book, when you learn to read I'll get you a book". It may have been meant as motivation, but I bet it had the opposite effect!
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Liza View Post
                            My son was the same until he was allowed to read a book he was actually interested in
                            That's so important. The recommended books are so ... dry. Also, the problem for the slower readers is that they are age 10 so the 6 yo books (that they can actually read) are far too childish.

That's why I had a whip round with my OH and his mates (when they were, um, happy) and we bought lots of these for my class.

The boy I've used as an example has just joined the library He didn't previously because his mum told him she couldn't afford it (when I said it was free to borrow books, he didn't believe me)

there's hope yet.
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 18-02-2010, 08:10 PM.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I use a lovely site damsels.org. Again got more than just a pregnancy section and lovely wide ranging bunch of ladies (if that is the right way to put it!) The site is currently being redesigned but the old site is still workable.

Huge congratulations on your bump.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                                The problem, I really believe, is with people who never read. Not just books, they don't read newspapers or anything. They can't know how a word should be pronounced (has/ as, been/being, could of/could have) if they never see it written down.

I have a child in my class who spells everything as he hears it. He is 10 but has a reading age of 6, despite our best efforts and one-to-one tuition.

Coowel
                                Hows
                                Pcsh

(cool, house, picture)

It's a struggle. How's he ever going to fill in a job application, or read a prescription, a timetable, official letters, contracts (mortgage, loans etc)? He's falling behind in every subject, because he can't read the instructions to begin with.
                                I would call that, probably mistakenly, dyslexia? I have a friend who is dyslexic and is always reading books. He mastered the art of 'text talk' years before the term became a household name!
                                Last edited by Snadger; 18-02-2010, 08:50 PM.
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X