What Got You Growing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Got You Growing?

No-one in my family grew their own when I was a nipper, but Wellie's Grandad grew Tomatoes in his greenhouse, and she has fond childhood memories of this, which planted the seed, so to speak.
    For us it was a combination of Shelley's passion for gardening, and the wisdom 'on tap' from elderly next-door who says: "If I can't eat it, why would I want to grow it?"
    And so, now, our garden comprises two-thirds fruit, veg, herbs & greenhouses and the rest is our little floral haven.

The conservatory, as I write, which I might add, is our dining room, has been taken over by Wellington Boots' Propagators, seed packets, dibbers, dobbers and her growing notes - god help me! If I moved them, I might be able to find my dinner....!

AND the Little Boys' Room (loo) has been taken over by gardening magazines and new season catalogues - help!

I used to have a go at growing with my dad as a little girl. He was always digging up mums favourite flowers and shrubs to create a little bit more growing room. Now as an adult i am very keen to grow my own to show my children where the veg and fruit come from. A plot of land came available at the back of our house and we just went for it. Happy to say that the whole family are keen to get involved. Also a group of children from the area. It was an amazing feeling when my nephew whos 3 asked why the apples were hanging on the tree. Children are naturally curious and we should all help develop this into a love of life and of the land.

Comment

[AND the Little Boys' Room (loo) has been taken over by gardening magazines and new season catalogues - help![/QUOTE]

You've got to have something decent to read whilst in there! LOL! DDL
      PS Whilst in the bath I mean!
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I've only got sprouting seeds growing at the moment!!!

Comment

My mum started growing her own veg - not much toms and a few herbs. I have mainly just grown flowers but moved out of parents house and bought my own house with a large garden. Started growing a few Veg, and as mentioned before on another post I have only really started eating veg for about 2 years! ( yes shocking I Know) I strated to realise the veg tasted different to the stuff I bought in supermarkets. I have also wondered what they actually but on our veg ( chemicals).
          My sister-in-law had breast cancer a few years ago and was told while she recovered to try and eat organic food so she is eating fresh/less chemical food. I suppose since then I have always wanted to grow my own veg so I know what I am eating.

Hope that makes sense :-)

I didnt think I would own an allotment.

Loz
          http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

My grandad had a lottie when I was a kid and a greenhouse full of toms in the back garden. Used to be allowed to go and pick as many as I wanted to eat as snacks when I visited and the smell still reminds me of summer holidays there. Also, mum and dad always grew soft fruit, beans (of all sorts), courgettes and various other stuff so suppose even though I wasn't much interested as a kid I picked a fair bit up. Didn't really get into it until I got my own place and enjoyed pottering about as a bit of post work stress relief. Since then got into wanting to know where my food comes from so that has given me an extra push to grow more. Doesn't always work out right but will keep trying.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by lyndap View Post
              I've only got sprouting seeds growing at the moment!!!
              In the "little boys room/ladies/bathroom"?! DDL
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

My grandad grew veggies and I remember playing hide and seek in the peas - LOL grandad was the only one who ever found us, by listening for the pods being popped!!! My mum grew veg and I decided last summer that it was about time I carried on the family tradition. Sufficient success last year to make me want to do more this year. Our boys are fascinated by it all - especially the planting of one spud in a bucket and a potfull coming out!!

The boys have eaten veggies since the were small, but I worked until recently and didn't have time to tame the wilderness that was our garden. Now it is all change and I hope OH will have a job closer to home soon and we can do more gardening and maybe even have chickens.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

The utility room here is full at the moment with my latest purchases - fork, spade, grow bag supports, greenhouse watering system, seeds (far too many!), pots (probably not enough seeing the number of seed packets); two 4' obelisks; hanging basket inners and the washing when it can find a space!
                  Just trying to remember what else Ive got on order! Its so easy just phoning and buying online isnt it.
                  Last edited by JennieAtkinson; 24-01-2007, 08:08 PM.
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Veg gardening is twinned with household economy for me

Thanks to:

My Gran - who had a smallholding with exciting scary places and ramshackle sheds, and a pig you could scratch who smelt of porridge
                    My Nanna - whose frugality was legendary. She taught me how to cut the end of the loaf sideways
                    My Dad - who sent me up the sproingly ladder to pick the plums at the top of the tree, and taught me how to make bonfires and leafmould
                    My Ma - a progressive cook and farmer's daughter, who sent my sister and me into the garden to pick food for the next meal, turned us into passable scullery maids, and encouraged us to cook
                    Mr Crawford - who helped my mum in the garden and taught me how to sow, plant and tend
                    Boredom - after gorging on Shewell-Cooper, Hellyer and Percy Thrower indoors, I'd make my way to the garden and spend hours learning and experimenting

Last edited by supersprout; 24-01-2007, 08:28 PM.
                    SSx
                    not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X