Most hated housework task

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post

What irks me the most though is having to wipe hair off everything: the bath, the sink and also floors.

You'd think we had a dog? No, OH is just very (very) hirsute
    I recognise that one, T_S. Mr C trims his beard over the basin and apparently can't see the bits of hair he sheds all over it! He also has long hair which ends up everywhere! GRRRRR!

Comment

I used to hate ironing when the kids were small and clean shirts were a daily necessity. The ironing pile grew up the wall. Now there are just two of us and I only iron what's absolutely necessary.

However, I hate cleaning, even with my super Dyson Animal. It's such a drudge and hurts my back. Mr C does a lot of it but doesn't seem to see the corners and edges! I also hate dusting - no sooner have you done it than it needs doing again.

Comment

Housework only gets done when I have nothing else better to do or just feel like it. I hardly ever dust (unless I've got visitors).

DUVET COVERS... No problem I don't use them. I have 3 cotton duvets - top and tail and turn for a couple of weeks then wash them. I just lurve the feel of fresh cotton and using a cover makes them too heavy.

OVEN.... Usually leave it until I just cannot stand the sight of it. I use a bin liner - layer the racks, dishes and any saucepan that looks a bit sad in it and spray liberally. Turn the bag every few hours and leave overnight. The oven itself is a bit of a chore but the end result is well worth the effort.

IRONING...As I have high count cotton sheets I bought a steam generator. It takes some time to build up but I love it. Sort of enjoy ironing now.

STAIRS..As there is only two of us and we tend not to be up and down all day they get done about once a month. When I vacuum I must see enough gunk for me to think the job was worthwhile.

WASHING UP...I refuse to do it. We have a dishwasher but OH prefers to washup. It's OK by me I put things in the washer and he takes them out to wash. Playing silly b*****s I call it.

TIDYING...I am untidy. BUT, have a method. When I have finished using something I will find it's home. OH keeps finding it's home before I am finished arghhh!!

BIG HATE...My own personal hygiene eg. showering and brushing teeth etc.

Comment

Hi there
          Oven pride is a product that I bought from my local supermarket. Its basically a big plastic bag and a bottle of caustic soda (in a box), but its fantastic. I'm sure if you look at your local supermarket you should find it or something like it on the shelf with the other oven cleaners. I think it's advertised for cleaning BBQ's.

Comment

Duvet Covers

Is there any reason why they couldn't be made with three open sides? You could lie them flat, like a book, lie the duvet on the inside of the cover, then fold over the other half and - and this is the best part - close it up with the zip that runs around the three sides.

I've often thought I'd like to try making a cover like that, only I'm pretty useless at sewing.
            Last edited by maytreefrannie; 07-02-2010, 06:29 PM. Reason: to correct spelling
            My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Or one that has a zipper down the centre on the front - like a pair of jeans?
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I don't understand this problem with duvet covers, you simply hold onto one of the corners and rummage inside the cover until you find the top corner. Repeat with the other top corner then take hold of both top corners with duvet in place and give a blooming good shake so that the cover falls down over the duvet. Then go to the other end and pull the rest of the cover down, shake from all sides and do up. Takes about 3 mins and isn't a problem. The secret is in good shaking - OH says I look like a mad woman while doing it but it's dead easy.

Re housework, don't enjoy it but don't really hate any of it. Minimise what's needed as much as possible and then blitz every now and again. Stopped ironing years ago so no problems there.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  I don't understand this problem with duvet covers, you simply hold onto one of the corners and rummage inside the cover until you find the top corner. Repeat with the other top corner then take hold of both top corners with duvet in place and give a blooming good shake so that the cover falls down over the duvet. Then go to the other end and pull the rest of the cover down, shake from all sides and do up. Takes about 3 mins and isn't a problem. The secret is in good shaking - OH says I look like a mad woman while doing it but it's dead easy.

Re housework, don't enjoy it but don't really hate any of it. Minimise what's needed as much as possible and then blitz every now and again. Stopped ironing years ago so no problems there.
                  Yeah my method with a duvet is similar. Sometimes I use pegs on the first 2 corners while sorting out the other 2....
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X