• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    I've got a mac
    Is it raining up your way
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

ive tried numerous different free anti virus programmes and firewalls, i found the best to be avast anti virus, pc tools firewall plus , and superantispyware as a stand alone scanner, all free.

Comment

I'm quite happy to be paying for Norton Internet Security. It rarely asks me for anything (money once a year and instructions to update on starting the computer after absence) and it simply gives me a sense that there is something between me and the potentially dodgy software undiscerning friends might accidentally send me.....
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
          I'm quite happy to be paying for Norton Internet Security.
          If you're happy to spend the money, that's great. I'd rather spend the money on seeds, and use AVG Free.

I did research Norton when OH got his new laptop (I don't know what he uses, but he has no end of problems).
          This is a typical example, from a PC forum: "As someone who used Norton back in the days ... Their products are not bad ...(their) capability to detect viruses and other forms of malware (is) pretty darned good. Their firewall (is) cr@p.

Where they have gone wrong with their AV, in my opinion, is in three areas: the "horsepower" it takes to run their applications...Norton security programs protect themselves from modification or termination. .. ie. there is no uninstaller...They don't want you to uninstall it, so they make it as difficult as possible.

Finally, there's the cost issue ...Norton is over priced.

So even though Norton is very good at protection, detection, and removal I will never use it again and now never recommend it"
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

AVG will, of course, try to bully you into using their paid-for software, but as T-S says the free one is there on the website. Aside from this it has no problems and does an efficient job.

The Windows firewall is a p in the b - I use Comodo which is great, but still have to check from time to time that Windows firewall hasn't snuck in and taken over!

Glad you got it sorted, Brengirl - nothing designed to raise the adrenaline more than software that won't do what it says on the tin.

Comment

We have virus protection in with our broad band with virgin. Son downloaded Kapersky which is really good though it can make programmes run slowly depending on what it is you are accessing.
              When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I've got F-secure as it was recommended by a computer professional. it is pretty sensible and doesn't cause me any grief.
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                  Just download the free program, not the pro trial. AVG bury it deep within their website but it is there.

AVG Free - Upgrade Free Antivirus
                  Yeah we got that one as well

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    If you're happy to spend the money, that's great. I'd rather spend the money on seeds, and use AVG Free.

I did research Norton when OH got his new laptop (I don't know what he uses, but he has no end of problems).
                    This is a typical example, from a PC forum: "As someone who used Norton back in the days ... Their products are not bad ...(their) capability to detect viruses and other forms of malware (is) pretty darned good. Their firewall (is) cr@p.

Where they have gone wrong with their AV, in my opinion, is in three areas: the "horsepower" it takes to run their applications...Norton security programs protect themselves from modification or termination. .. ie. there is no uninstaller...They don't want you to uninstall it, so they make it as difficult as possible.

Finally, there's the cost issue ...Norton is over priced.

So even though Norton is very good at protection, detection, and removal I will never use it again and now never recommend it"
                    I've come across comparable comments about so many items of software. Mostly they are from people who, at the drop of a virtual hat, will start talking a language I can't follow for more than 5 minutes.
                    I'm reasonably computer-literate, but some of the folk who write these things are PhD to my O level (just as a way of describing the comparison)!
                    I like Norton because it is straightforward for the average 'non-mechanic driver'. It costs me well under £1 a week, and that is good enough value for me!
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      I've got a mac
                      Zazen's a FLASHER!!

You heard it here first...

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
                        We have virus protection in with our broad band with virgin. Son downloaded Kapersky which is really good though it can make programmes run slowly depending on what it is you are accessing.
                        Yes, miffy, my son suggested Kaspersky too. Our IT dept seemed to think that Avast was the best of the free ones (in case I ever needed to work from home - our IT Police make the Gestapo look like the Samaritans.)

They ALL thought that Norton was over-priced and worse than useless because it gave the impression it was adequate. I'm with Ollie about getting increasingly annoyed that I can't get rid of the thing trying to badger me into buying it!

Comment

i used norton several years ago to remove it entirely you have to go to there web site simmantic i think it was called and use there removal tool, just bought and installed cheap anti virus with firewall and scanner from tesco for 7 pound for my 80 year old dads laptop he forgets to up date the free stuff i put on, it is made by panda or f-secure , but sold as tesco,s own brand, i use the free stuff it is as good or better than the stuff you buy as long as you keep it updated.

Comment

We have aways used Norton and are more than happy with it. It has never given us any problems and is quick to detect when anything goes wrong.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

[B]Curiouser and curiouser[B] I intended to proceed with Avast when my free trial AVG expired. How come my scans are now performed by NORTON I uninstalled Norton yonks ago and certainly have not subscribed. Weird!

Comment

Norton is notoriously difficult to remove, isn't it? Try this: PC Hell: How to Uninstall Norton
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X