No announcement yet.

Your advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob I didn't vote cos I think you questions are a bit loaded. I do think that there is a bit of an issue underlying all this which needs exploring. If they need reassurance about the drivers so they feel happy to travel with any of them - then maybe a 'meet the drivers' brochure with names, photos and a brief intro to them would help. Is there a language barrier here? Maybe that could be addressed with simple phrasebooks.
    If it is that they want to be with their mates - maybe a different way of getting together would be a good idea. If it is that some of them are happy/ amenable and some of them are stroppy/ uncooperative then does that spill over into other aspects of their work? It sounds like you have a bit of a morale issue bubbling under all this.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Having been a squadie, you do as you're told! and hurry up and wait while you do it
      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I voted that I'd get in any - but I can see why some people would prefer some drivers over others.

When travelling to our head office in Germany we used to use a particular taxi firm (the arrangement has since ceased and we use another firm), and on a few occasions I have climbed into a car and nearly kissed the ground at the other end due to the guys driving - and I'm not a nervous passenger. On one occasion I was in one of those Mercedes people wagon thingies and sat facing backwards. My colleagues opposite me suddenly looked panicked and braced themselves as the car screeched to a halt. He'd nearly run a red into oncoming traffic. On another occasion we were travelling along the Autobahn at speed (as one does) and we swerved across three lanes of traffic as he'd nearly missed his Ausfahrt!

I on the other hand, nearly had one.
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Well I voted for get in any car. You will never please everyone, so just don't try.

Comment

Human nature being what it is will guarantee that peeps will moan about something. Maybe today it's the transport- tomorrow it'll be the chairs at the desks.....
            Maybe they're gently pushing you to see what they can get away with???

or..maybe there is a real underlying concern- I think you need to ask peeps to put their thoughts on paper rather than you just coming out with-" I'm the boss- you'll do as I say".
            Are you doing it that way cos it's been proved the safest way for everyone- or that's how it's always been?
            Do peeps have superstitions about say a green car? When you're talking about people's lives at risks superstition may be a bit of a factor!
            Do some peeps smoke in the cars- as a non-smoker the smell/fumes would kill me!
            Would I want to travel with Mr Stinkyarmpitman after spending the whole day working in the same room as him?
            Mr Dirtyjokesman could get a bit trying I'm sure.
            Are some cars 'safer' than others?
            Do some of the drivers play music loudly?
            I'm presuming here that all the staff are male?..or are there guys wanting to travel with a lass?
            You'd certainly get brownie points for finding out what the reasoning is behind their little revolt - and you may be made aware of something important.If something awful did happen you don't want peeps saying-" well we did warn you and you ignored our concerns"
            More likely though they're having a whinge - and need to do as you consider 'safest' .
            They do their jobs and you do yours ( you're the expert here)but as you have said, it's important you do the best for their safety even if they don't like it
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm just wondering if this is down to trust in some ways, especially as it doesn't sound too safe where you are. Perhaps the employees feel safe with a driver they've had previously, because the stranger that picks them up today could well be anyone.

Perhaps you could permanantly rotate the routes so that every employee will eventually be driven by every driver? That way they get to know all the faces and know that they are all safe. Any new driver could be mentored for a while by a familiar face too.
              Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Tell them to shut up and sit down. You're not doing the school run, you're looking after their safety! The company I work for also has people working in these kinds of conditions and frankly if I had to go out and work in one of our more dangerous locations I would be very grateful that someone was organising things in a way that kept me safe!
                Last edited by Incy; 16-01-2010, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I believe Boble that you are well aware of your workers concerns, whatever they may be, and there is no way you would put any of them knowingly in danger. When lightening strikes it is indeterminate so whatever choices you give your folk someone at sometime may make the wrong one.
                  I vote for 'get in the designated car' or find other employment.
                  Is it possible to have two or three weekly itineraries and you decide which is current.

Comment

Confusion here, is the bit you organise ONLY the convoy part, or is it a case of picking up everyone from their own 'base', bringing them to the collection point and THEN going in convoy the rest of the way?
                    Assuming the latter, are (mostly) the same drivers doing the same areas, the same drivers but rotated area by area, or is it a case of 'could be any driver from that company', or is it a managed car share?
                    If you only organise the convoy then the only reason I would find valid for objections is that some of the drivers are objectionable to some of the potential passengers (smoking, BO, offensive language or similar) and then you need to find out whether some drivers are objectionable to a lot of folk, and if so replace them, if not, maybe a bit of 'give and take' so that people get the driver they like.
                    I'm afraid that anything else apart from dislike of the DRIVER is just plain fussiness.
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I voted 'whinge & sulk' but that was just to get you going Boble!
                      Assuming they're all adult males & they all arrive safely & in one piece each day at work I'd tell them all to just get in the cars & shut up, after all they're going to work not on a day trip to the seaside!
                      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Incy View Post
                        Tell them to shut up and sit down!
                        Yay ...
                        WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
                          Tell 'em to get in the car or on their bikes. You're organising work transport not a dating agency.
                          Yup - wot she said!

Now I've read your successive posts M. Boble, I'd agree with EC.

I have to add, as a woman who has worked in predominately male environments all my life, I always liken a group of male colleagues to a group of primary school children!
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Tell 'em you are not running a democracy it is a benign dictatorship!
                            ...and shoot the first one that complains. The others will soon see your point and choose option 1.
                            There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Many thanks to all for the replies. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt being totally out of order by telling them to sit down and shut up.
                              Which is what I've done.

You wouldnt believe the whinging I get daily, just incredible.
                              Bob Leponge
                              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X