Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
    Cynic!

Journos live amongst us all - wherever we are in the world.
    ...disguised as normal humans!
    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
    Snadger - Director of Poetry
    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

They are desperate desperate people. For many many years they have had to endure poverty but despite their predicament they show such love and tenderness for each other in overwhelming grief.

Comment

God it's absolutely harrowing to see the images being caught in newspapers and I've had to stop looking at them because it reduces me to tears every time - even in the cafe at lunch time!

My thoughts are with them all and I've made a small donation via the Red Cross but what those poor poor poor people are faced with is beyond my comprehension.

Really brings home the insignificance and helplessness of humans against a force of nature.

Comment

I've done my little bit. Just text GIVE to 70077 to donate £5

It's nothing really: a bottle of wine, a packet of fags.
          Donate Now - DEC
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Terrible... I saw a pic of a bloke on the front of the Metro, carrying the body of his baby - damn that really hit home.

duly donoated via dec's site.

Comment

I'm making a donation at the village coffee morning on Saturday. (As well as baking biscuits, serving on stalls, washing up etc!)
              You can't imagine how it must feel to have even a meagre lifestyle wiped out together with many of your family.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

We live not far from the headquarters of Shelterbox in Helston. We spent yesterday morning helping to pack over 600 boxes of aid - large tents blankets water containers etc. These were loaded at Newquay airport for a direct flight to Haiti.
                Please have a look at ShelterBox - Disaster Relief and donate if you can. They do an amazing job

Comment

Awful, isn't it? My company has a charitable giving thing set up, where every pound we donate will be matched by them. I'll be donating via that, to maximise the donation.

Comment

.... and Gift Aid it.
                    The Govt. added £1.61 to my donation

Comment

At school we are having a coins for crisis for Haiti, we launched this on Wedsnesday and in two days have raised £250 from coins alone. The children are bringing in money from their piggy banks bless them. Our school is in a really poor area so that is an amazing amount of money for them to raise. We have made some huge letters that spell Haiti and we plan to fill these with the coins, side by side, the children are so excited and really want to help. I can't believe people do not even have loose change to donate to this, if everyone dug into pockets, bottoms of bags, down the back of the sofa and gave that money it would raise thousands.
                      When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

A friend of ours organised a coffee morning for Haiti today - I went to take a few photos for the OH's magazine, and he has just called us to say they raised in excess of £2500 !! Well done.
                        Rat

British by birth
                        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wow - well done there in Easter Ross: not sure how we did locally but the bucket was certainly filling up at my local supermarket!
                          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

if I remember well it was not so long ago that haiti sided with other dictatorship countries and told us ( the rest of the world) to get lost and they will do as they please. There is sadness and I do feel for the children. Of course we will help all we can. I thought charity began at home? have we not enough of our problems to sort out. some of our own people are living in squalor though no fault of thier own. aid is getting though and amazingly thet are finding people still alive after 11 days. the cost of living keeps rising in this country yet the government can find millions to send abroad. don't get me wrong lets help as we are in a position to do it but I can't help but wonder what if the boot was on the other foot. good luck and godbless all.

Comment

I think if the boot was on the other foot, the rest of the world would put their hands in their pockets and give what they could.
                              It's not the people and the children who "told us to get lost", and it's they who are suffering right now.

I notice that even OAPs are giving their pennies to the fund.

I think the people who refuse (to give) are those who wouldn't give even if they were rich. I couldn't look at those pictures and turn my back.
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 24-01-2010, 10:02 AM.

Comment

you are only to right I think reference the rich. I do put my hand in my pocket for all sorts of things like the blind, lifeboats etc. I watch some things on the telly like like children in need and the so called celebrities say gives us your money. small kids are givind thier pocket money, probably all they have, the celebs, oh they give thier time, big deal, lets see them who are worth millions put thier hands in their pockets I would more impressed then. as for the rest of the world I would like to think they would help. I must admit I am a little sceptical though I hope and pray we never have to find out.

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                                I think if the boot was on the other foot, the rest of the world would put their hands in their pockets and give what they could.

I notice that even OAPs are giving their pennies to the fund.

I think the people who refuse (to give) are those who wouldn't give even if they were rich. I couldn't look at those pictures and turn my back.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X