No announcement yet.

The gritting madness

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I support Alison and Beefy's comments. This winter has been exceptional in recent years experiences and I think that our councils are doing a great job under the circumstances. If they stored enough salt, gritters and manpower to keep all the roads and footpaths clear in a winter like this then there would be very little money left for all the other services that we expect. Yes, I agree that lessons can be learned and I would expect Government and Councils to look at these but, at the moment, they are doing the best that they can.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulbaholic View Post
      I support Alison and Beefy's comments. This winter has been exceptional in recent years experiences and I think that our councils are doing a great job under the circumstances. If they stored enough salt, gritters and manpower to keep all the roads and footpaths clear in a winter like this then there would be very little money left for all the other services that we expect. Yes, I agree that lessons can be learned and I would expect Government and Councils to look at these but, at the moment, they are doing the best that they can.
      I perhaps wasnt clear enough - I am annoyed that grit is being wasted on footpaths FULLSTOP. I am also peeved that people who have done their jobs are having to forgo the fruits of their labours (i.e. getting grit supplies) because someone in another county HASNT done their job properly! If you think about it - if the weather predictions been heeded earlier, the amount of grit being used could have been reduced (out of an adequate supply in milder weather) and it may have reduced the problem they now have. In fact come to think of it surely this is an admission that grit (and so money) is wasted during milder winters?
      Tammy x x x x
      Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

On our council website it said they had no salt/grit because it was all being diverted to the Highways Agency to keep the main roads open. This was the reason why paths and car parks were untreated.
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Most winters aren't as extreme as this one has been and so the councils have previously (and quite rightly) used money to provide other services rather than keep a large stockpile of salt and grit "just in case". The problem this year is that we've been caught a bit unawares by the continuing bad weather and the councils have had to try and obtain more supplies as quickly as possible at the last minute.

I agree with Bulbaholic- the councils are doing the best they can - we can't expect to have money to keep both grit/salt and to spend on the other services. We can't have the penny and the bun. They are in a no-win situation and won't be able to please everyone.
          Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Not entirely sure whether our council low on grit or not, but noticed today that various footpaths around town have had sand spread on them. Don't know if council or residents responsible, but does seem to give people a bit more grip underfoot.

I can't remember a cold snap like this since I was a nipper, but back then I really loved snow, now I'm fairly indifferent
            Kirsty b xx

Comment

Just for information we were quoted £38/ton for rock salt from the salt mine in Carrickfergus but were told that private sales would not be happening for at least 10 -14 days until the Road Service / Highways Agency had replinished their supplies . I think the figure quoted was they were mining 4000 tons a day working 24 hours /day.
              Considering that the average 6 wheeled gritter holds around 15 tons of salt thats aprox £570 / fill plus fuel plus a mans wages plus tax and insurance that all has to be paid out of a goverment budget that is raised by taxing us.
              Want more roads/ pavements salted ? how much do you want your tax bill to go up?

We filled the salt bins in 44 schools just before the Christmas break so that they would be ready for bad weather when the holidays were over. On 4 January when we started back ALL those bins were empty and had to be refilled . The schools were not open and the only conclusion that we can come to ( and backed up by video evidence) is that people came into the schools and STOLE it because they thought their needs were nore important than nursery, playgroups,primary and secondary school kids .Now we face schools being closed because the playgrounds and paths are frozen over and the caretakers have no salt to de ice them. This week is going to be fun -not.
              There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by Finedon.Dandy View Post
                I perhaps wasnt clear enough - I am annoyed that grit is being wasted on footpaths FULLSTOP.
                I'm all right Jack?

Where I live there's a large number of elderly people in bungalows. The nearest shop is nearly a mile away. The next nearest is 2.5 miles away. How many broken hips are acceptable?

I've been struggling to get around, and I have two good legs and hobnailed boots. How are the elderly to get milk, bread etc if the paths aren't gritted? You can't stock up and sit out the weather (it's been iced up here since before Xmas) if you can only carry one bag at a time.

I do agree that grit is being wasted: where paths have been gritted (directly outside my school) the grit has been wasted: thrown down in big piles. If they'd instead gritted a 12" wide strip down the middle, the grit would have gone further.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Finedon.Dandy View Post
                  I perhaps wasnt clear enough - I am annoyed that grit is being wasted on footpaths FULLSTOP. I am also peeved that people who have done their jobs are having to forgo the fruits of their labours (i.e. getting grit supplies) because someone in another county HASNT done their job properly! If you think about it - if the weather predictions been heeded earlier, the amount of grit being used could have been reduced (out of an adequate supply in milder weather) and it may have reduced the problem they now have. In fact come to think of it surely this is an admission that grit (and so money) is wasted during milder winters?
                  What weather predictions was that, was it the one from the Met office that said we were going to have a mild winter.

Comment

I saw one, I saw one! Big old grit lorry drove up our road, and back down it. Unfortunately he didnt leave any grit behind him Nice bloke in a tractor tried to clear the road, left half inch of ice! Much mor scarey when he was finished.
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      I'm all right Jack?

Where I live there's a large number of elderly people in bungalows. The nearest shop is nearly a mile away. The next nearest is 2.5 miles away. How many broken hips are acceptable?

I've been struggling to get around, and I have two good legs and hobnailed boots. How are the elderly to get milk, bread etc if the paths aren't gritted? You can't stock up and sit out the weather (it's been iced up here since before Xmas) if you can only carry one bag at a time.

I do agree that grit is being wasted: where paths have been gritted (directly outside my school) the grit has been wasted: thrown down in big piles. If they'd instead gritted a 12" wide strip down the middle, the grit would have gone further.

No TS - (I hate getting point across in typed words sometimes as I am so c**p at it!) Perhaps the word "wasted" should have been in capitals. I dont feel a shopping centre is a priority. Clothes shopping can wait - essential food shopping cant and I have been helping some of the frailer residents of our street but picking up some bits on the way home. Amazing what you can fit under the pram - prob why I am in so much pain though as it makes it even heavier to push. As you say only a little needs to be used and I dread to think how much has been wasted by doing more than a path or spreading too deep this winter.
                      Tammy x x x x

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

Sounds like you are working hard to keep us going Beefy - hope those videos have been shown to the police.

Originally posted by beefy View Post
                        Just for information we were quoted £38/ton for rock salt from the salt mine in Carrickfergus but were told that private sales would not be happening for at least 10 -14 days until the Road Service / Highways Agency had replinished their supplies . I think the figure quoted was they were mining 4000 tons a day working 24 hours /day.
                        Considering that the average 6 wheeled gritter holds around 15 tons of salt thats aprox £570 / fill plus fuel plus a mans wages plus tax and insurance that all has to be paid out of a goverment budget that is raised by taxing us.
                        Want more roads/ pavements salted ? how much do you want your tax bill to go up?

We filled the salt bins in 44 schools just before the Christmas break so that they would be ready for bad weather when the holidays were over. On 4 January when we started back ALL those bins were empty and had to be refilled . The schools were not open and the only conclusion that we can come to ( and backed up by video evidence) is that people came into the schools and STOLE it because they thought their needs were nore important than nursery, playgroups,primary and secondary school kids .Now we face schools being closed because the playgrounds and paths are frozen over and the caretakers have no salt to de ice them. This week is going to be fun -not.
                        Tammy x x x x

Comment

And where will all the grit go when the thaw comes? Down the drains - and block them - and we'll have flooding again. Can't win eh?
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            I'm all right Jack?

I'm not sure it would ever be possible to make sufficient roads and paths safe for people who are infirm without spending a totally ridiculous amount of money in the conditions we have had recently. Was wondering if it would be more cost effective and practical to provide a delivery service in the short term to protect vulnerable groups.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

GRIT
                              who needs it
                              CRAMPONS
                              you don't fall over
                              CHAINS
                              you can drive your car in the snow

to much salt ends up in the rivers and ponds ?
                              Last edited by green thing; 17-01-2010, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TPeers View Post
                                The politicians of course - they HAVE to be able to work in that huge drafty barn of a building with its astonomical heating bill and lousy insulation and that means grit on a direct route from which ever home they are currently claiming for to the main entrance of the House.
                                I'm surprised they need ANY heating, the amount of hot air they generate!
                                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X