corned beef and potato pie
    BTW
    we are 3 brothers all taught to cook by my late mum
    and in our respective homes we are the cooks using my mum's old recipes
    why don't they call us wee'll show um!
    this will be a battle from the heart
    cymru am byth

Comment

All, I have no problem with the concept of the programme - but I think this programme specifically, and the recipes therein, were disappointing at best, and pretty horrible at worst.

Snadger, I mentioned my opinion as a Scot, because it's a touring programme, and this episode was from Scotland. If this is the best we can come up with, then I'm embarrassed and humilated. And I also felt it was biased to back up the fat Scot/bad diet/deep fried Mars bar image. But then, I may be being too touchy

It will be very interesting to see what people think of the programme from their own region. Maybe if you think your area hasn't shone, you'll be a bit less enthusiastic. Difficult to see how anyone's resipe can be worse than a can of baked beans in some mince, though

Caro
      Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Originally posted by Caro View Post
        All, I have no problem with the concept of the programme - but I think this programme specifically, and the recipes therein, were disappointing at best, and pretty horrible at worst.

Snadger, I mentioned my opinion as a Scot, because it's a touring programme, and this episode was from Scotland. If this is the best we can come up with, then I'm embarrassed and humilated. And I also felt it was biased to back up the fat Scot/bad diet/deep fried Mars bar image. But then, I may be being too touchy

It will be very interesting to see what people think of the programme from their own region. Maybe if you think your area hasn't shone, you'll be a bit less enthusiastic. Difficult to see how anyone's resipe can be worse than a can of baked beans in some mince, though

Caro
        Agree entirely with what you are saying although some of the dishes brought in my members of the public did sound a lot better but I think you have to buy their book to find out details about them and it's only the can of baked beans combo recipes that you can get online

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Caro View Post
          Difficult to see how anyone's resipe can be worse than a can of baked beans in some mince, though

Caro
          I have to agree with you on that - I lived in Scotland (Peterhead & Edinburgh) for a few years, I sample much lovely food.
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

Tonights gem was picnics and some lovely cooking came forth - but bananas wrapped in bacon - noooo
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

I'm going to try the Asian recipes from tonight - specially the spice mix - and its the first time I've come across using Lovage seed in cooking: now that's something I can grow!
              Totally agree about the bananas btw, deeply unpleasant thought!
              Last edited by Jeanied; 12-01-2010, 09:50 PM.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

ooooh the Asian food was tops wasn't it
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

I do love a pakora! Ooh, and black pudding scotch eggs! Ding dong!
                  A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                    ...Ooh, and black pudding scotch eggs! Ding dong!
                    Snowdrop said the very same thing and what about the spicy ones - uummm uuummm yummm
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                      Snowdrop said the very same thing and what about the spicy ones - uummm uuummm yummm
                      Yes please, I'll have two. To start with.
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                        .. I'll have two..
                        one for each hand
                        aka
                        Suzie

Comment

I've watched the two programmes so far and was a tad embarrassed by the Scottish episode - cheesey pie - mashed potato with cheese on top ain't a family recipe. Rumpy Pumpy soups is just lentil soup, where's the secret/old recipe? And mince? for pete's sake. The posh cake woman made some lovely looking cakes - never tried bran loaf before so will give that a try. To be honest there are better recipes in Ma Broons' cook book. Last night recipes looked far better. The sticky date cake - Mr Frosty said they should have added a handful of statins to the cake mix - did you see the amount of butter We'll be having samosas over the weekend. Really like the Hairy Bikers - they seem genuinely nice guys.

Comment

I agree FF, they are so lovely - if you go to their website there is a section on out takes, makes me laugh lots
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

We both laughed out loud at the butter!

I enjoyed their enthusiasm though. What I like about this programme is the fact that everyone came together to share and co-operate. I am SO sick of cookery programmes that are competitive. What's competitive about food and sharing it?
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                                What's competitive about food and sharing it?
                                There shouldn't be anything at all should there!
                                aka
                                Suzie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X