No announcement yet.

New Year - what do you do?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We always [well since we have been home & not on tour somwhere] light the barbie, sit outside at midnight and watch the fireworks all around us, as its so flat and we live in the dark middle of no where we see fireworks for miles. i think its a real pont in time, like the equinox's.

Comment

We head to our local indian take away and collect a meal, we have a few scoops and will watch a dvd, then walk our animals out the front door and into the back! we tend to go into the street at midnight to watch the fireworks, been and done all the paying bouncers to get into a pub and then get charged a small fortune for a glass of waterered down booze, not for me any more......
      Life isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Bearing in mind Im still knackered and stiff after yesterday's journey home from my sister's (accident on A66 near Stainmore, 3 hr wait in cars on cold snowy road), I'll be totally happy with a night in with OH and Pickle. Also working an early shift tomorrow, so I don't even plan on being up at midnight.

Might pop round his mum's for a bit this evening, but it won't be a late one.
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

I've never liked NYE - no idea why. I used to live on an island and the teenage [and older] lads would all get razzed up on alcohol and glue and climb the clock tower. I never saw the appeal but was dragged there year after year to stand in the cold and watch. Ho humm.

These days we either do a pub crawl; or just settle in one pub and go home before it gets too lary. Or just [and this is my idea for this year] - stay in, and have a curry. Mr Z said this sounded like a good idea last night so I'm hoping he still does. The offer of nan breads is strong in our house

I might just get some ice cream in to make sure he really will want to stay in. Get the fire lit.....it sounds scrummy already.
          Last edited by zazen999; 31-12-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

In accordance with my traditional Cuban New Year celebration, I'm going to eat 12 grapes and cider at midnight and then throw hot water out the front door. We never actually did the grapes, cider, and hot water job on New Years in my childhood but google tells me this is how it's done.

Comment

With a daughter and living in the middle of nowhere babysitters are an endangered species, so since we moved here we have always had our friends from down't road, as they can stagger home and some that can stay and a few others for a party, which is what's happening tonight.

Problem is last night we had a pre-new year's party courtesy of my OH deciding the committee of the Land Rover club can come for a jolly.

Two nights on the trot - groan........
              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Yer showin' yer age Hayley!

Have to say, it's looking less likely we'll go to the pub, but the appeal of a night in with a Curry is getting me hungry already - thanks you lot!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I just realized that you lot call yourselves grapes on the vine!!! I'm not actually going to eat any of you!! lol.

Comment

I used to do the whole going-out-into-town thing, nice outfit, overpriced drinks, forced jollity, expensive taxi home etc

However, now I live in the middle of nowhere and hate crowds.

We will be going to a friends house, where there will be an evening of Curry, Trivial Pursuit and Singstar. Beer, wine and bubbly will be flowing. We will see in the new year, then walk 2 miles home and go to bed. Lovely.

There will only be 6 people, and 6 dogs. Not too much of a crowd for me.

Comment

I LOVE the idea of throwing things out of the front door!

My meal is underway - JA soup made, easy choc souffles in fridge ready to be heated later and champers in the fridge... luverly.. just got to make the goats cheese tarts now

and OH has some fireworks we may set off before the children go to bed, but it's raining now

Comment

We have over the years been out, going round the towns pubs where everyone is in fancy dress one pub one drink on to the next pub. We have stayed in and listened to everyone enjoying themselves in the town ( we can hear but not see whats going on ) last year we decided to take our daughter into town to see in the new year at the clock tower, as it always sounds jolly, what a let down, no countdown, no HAPPY NEW YEAR shouted at the tops of voices. Everyone did their own thing when it seemed to have passed midnight without the usual, no auld lang sung nothing, zilch. So this year we are staying in much to daughters dissapointment. I have organised party's in the past but cant be bothered now and we dont get invited to any.
                        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                        and ends with backache

Comment

We now cook a good meal, drink some decent wine and watch a corking movie. I am fed up with being ripped off, dissapointed or have muppets try to fight with me on new years eve so now DIY it.

Enjoy everybody.

Comment

We were hoping to spend the evening running around Cambridge in honour of the blue moon, followed a beer or several at a local hostelry to welcome in the new year, but that was until hubby fell over in the snow. He's been confined to the sofa for over a week now, has done a major number on his ankle, and is going quietly stir crazy.

We'll be spending most of the evening at home because he can't even go to the pub unless it's empty enough for him to sit down in comfort without his ankle being accidentally kicked. We're hoping at some friends who are having a safari supper (another thing we can't do) come home to roost somewhere fairly close to us so that he can hobble down the road on crutches and we can at least raise a glass with them to the new year.

Goodbye 2009. Not the best of years, for all sorts of reasons.
                            http://www.justgiving.com/Vicky-Berr...-Marathon-2010

Comment

We've got a few friends coming round, for drinks & nibbles. Days of standing in pubs full of drunks paying for overpriced drinks have long gone......must be a sign of age
                              Last edited by Hans Mum; 31-12-2009, 05:48 PM.
                              The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                                Well, what we normally do is:
                                - book some very expensive tickets to our normal pub for a dress-up do
                                - spend 3 hours getting ready
                                - have a row
                                - stay in

this year we're not planning anything: it's stupid to, because we aren't near anything, taxis are £25 each way, and I personally hate forced, organised jollity (I'd much rather it was spontaneous and sincere )
                                Oh dear
                                I suggest
                                You stay in
                                Have a row
                                spend 3 hrs making up

Retire to bed .................. Happy New Year

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...