No announcement yet.

Delia's Christmas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ Don't understand bread sauce, why would you want to. My nan always loved the stuff but I've kept well clear.[/QUOTE]

Quite agree with you there Alison. In the good old bad days our taste buds were not trained to accept anything apart from bland. Even gravy was only made with cabbage water and bisto. Oooh and I forgot the dripping from under the meat and flour. The nearest thing we ever got to 'sweet and sour' was stewed apple with roast pork. As for curry, that hadn't even been invented.

Comment

Can't stand bread sauce. I also don't like tomatoes. My daughter was born late on Christmas Eve, I was put in a room and for breakfast next morning given the choices of its previous occupant, basically a fry-up covered in the juice from the tinned tomatoes...so, none of it salvageable. Lunch was a 'traditional' Christmas Dinner, covered in gallons of bread sauce... none of it salvageable. They finally got around to asking me to fill in one of the forms at supper and I chose a pork-pie salad (there wasn't much else) 'Sorry, we ran out of pork pie, is beef OK?' they said. By that point I was so hungry anything was OK...except the beef was so rare the blood ran and covered everything else... none of it salvageable. Fortunately Mum arrived with turkey sarnies at visiting time and saved me from starvation. Isn't it odd how mums can be complete pains in the a*$e most of the time, but seem to know instinctively what to do when a baby arrives.
      Last edited by bluemoon; 04-12-2009, 07:37 PM.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

"I like bread sauce" says Jeanied in a small voice.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Bread sauce is up there with sprouts. Buerk!
          Bob Leponge
          Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Delia's recipe for oxtail stew with mushrooms is to die for! Dribbling now.
            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
              I was really looking forward to the programme because I must admit I do like her programmes and books but I thought OH had put a tape in to record and 1/2 way through he said oh dear I forgot about it. Does anyone know if its being repeated. Also how different is the New Christmas Book from the old one which I have.
              It's repeated on Sunday 13th December at 7.00 p.m. on BBC2 followed by part 1 of the Victorian Farm Christmas.

valmarg

Comment

You can also watch it on BBC iplayer until the 8th December.

BBC iPlayer - Delia's Classic Christmas
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

My Dad used to call her St Delia! I dislike her presentation style and never feel prompted to rush into the kitchen and try her recipes.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                    You can also watch it on BBC iplayer until the 8th December.

BBC iPlayer - Delia's Classic Christmas
                    In theory the iplayer is great but I don't like watching TV on my computer, just doesn't feel right. I can also pick them on via our virginmedia thingy but the fast forward is a bit random and doesn't stop and start as soon as you press it so I always prefer to watch things either when they're actually on or to record them myself and watch later (also not very good at remembering to catch up in the week your have!)

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Just caught Fanny Cradock's christmas programmes on the food channel - I would never even try any of her recipes - yuk! Just remembering that after Fanny came the Galloping Gourmet and then Delia - all paving the way for Nigella and co.

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                        As mentioned in another thread, Im going to bed with Delia. Anyone else going to watch?
                        Good grief! Does Mrs Dexter Dog know? No, I'm not going to watch you in bed with Delia. I might see if she's on telly, later, though.

Comment

Erm, SL, I think you will find that DDL (aka Bernie) is a lady! Or have I misread everything?
                          Now watching the two hairy bikers doing their xmas log - much prefer Delia's - sorry!!
                          Last edited by Jeanied; 06-12-2009, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                            Just caught Fanny Cradock's christmas programmes on the food channel - I would never even try any of her recipes - yuk! Just remembering that after Fanny came the Galloping Gourmet and then Delia - all paving the way for Nigella and co.
                            Shucks! I now wish we had Sky! Christmas really isnt Christmas without Fanny and Jonny and how she cooks a Christmas meal. If anyone knows where I can get this on DVD please PM me. Agree, though, it was pretty disgusting!
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
                              Good grief! Does Mrs Dexter Dog know? No, I'm not going to watch you in bed with Delia. I might see if she's on telly, later, though.
                              Erm, in case you dont know, Im a Mrs Dexterdog! Don't worry though, Ive caught out a few grapes before and sure will do in the future. Mr Dexterdog is well used to me................I went to bed with HFW the other night and he didn't bat an eyelid! Good job though, coz Im doing exactly the same thing tonight, and after Hugh there Jamie!.....................
                              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Now, Bernie - how did you know that we were talking about you???
                                Fanny Cradock - the Christmas series was done in 1975 - I think after Johnny had died. She looks crazy in the show, bow in hair, eyebrows pencilled in 2" above where they should be - and such a hectoring style of presenting!
                                Schoolmarm Delia is mild in comparison - Fanny is more Mrs Whiplash!
                                Last edited by Jeanied; 06-12-2009, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X