Quite Interesting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quite Interesting

I've become something of a 'quite interesting' fact fiend as a result of watching 2 series of QI practically back-to-back.
    Having read about Sir Francis Galton's 'wisdom of crowds' I wondered what quiet interesting (but probably totally useless) knowledge the vine has to offer.

This is your opportunity to dispense that piece of knowledge you've been lugging around since school and wondering "when on earth am I going to use that".

My piece:
    You possibly already know that bananas don't grow on trees, the 'palm' that they grow on is infact a herb (or herbaceous plant).
    What you may not know is that the plant is said to 'walk' up to 40cm a year. That is, each year the plant can be up to 40cm away from where it was the previous year.
    Although the 'walking' theory is in fact a misconception in itself. The plant has a root (or corm) underground, sort of like ginger. Each year it sends up a pseudostem which is the palm-like structure which bears fruit. That then dies off and the following year it sends up another from the corm up to 40cm further along. People just assume that the new stem is the regrowing old one, when in actual fact it's completely new.

So, what-d'ya-know?
    Last edited by zazen999; 30-11-2009, 01:33 PM. Reason: sp
    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
    Snadger - Director of Poetry
    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
    The plant has a root (or corm) underground, sort of like ginger.
    WELL, I've been called some things in my time...but never a root . You Cheeky lad .

Comment

If you feel sick or have been sick; sip some flat ginger ale. Not the diet stuff, the real stuff [as we are on a ginger tip].......

It is an old remedy from the Native Americans; in modern packaging.

Comment

Shhhhh!!.....
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
          Shhhhh!!.....
          Ollie are you going for quite interesting or interestingly quiet here?
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

OK believe it or not half a cut potato rubbed over your windscreen repels rain! HONEST!
            My Dad is a mine of usually useless information like this.
            One night when the kids were little my windscreen wipers packed up, (middle of a rainstorm naturally!). I popped into the conveniently placed farm shop and bought two spuds, wiped them on the windows and voilà! Well it got us the ten miles home with a couple of further applications

Moral of this story is that the auld fella is usually right
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Again on a quiet Ginger theme, crystallized ginger is the Chinese cure for arthritis (but they dont shout about it).
              Bob Leponge
              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                Again on a quiet Ginger theme, crystallized ginger is the Chinese cure for arthritis (but they dont shout about it).
                Funny that -the arthritis in my hands always seems a bit better after a nettle sting. I wonder if this is linked? (hot things?) How about chilli?
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                  Funny that -the arthritis in my hands always seems a bit better after a nettle sting. I wonder if this is linked? (hot things?) How about chilli?
                  I don't know where I read it...may have actually been on the Vine?...but apparently the stings from nettles are a recognised cure(or at least ease from)arthritis.

My brain is full of quiet but not necessarily interesting facts,I'll see if the washing up helps me remember any.
                  the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

as opposed to a noisy interesting there Ollie?
                    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                      as opposed to a noisy interesting there Ollie?
                      Ooops, I've only just noticed that.
                      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support

Comment

Ollie was waiting for the spelling police to pounce, but I wasn't playing !
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                          half a cut potato rubbed over your windscreen repels rain!
                          If you suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome, a potato in the bed under your legs (or just near your legs) really does help. I have no idea why.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            If you suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome, a potato in the bed under your legs (or just near your legs) really does help. I have no idea why.
                            Wow! I didn't know this and I suffer really badly, I couldn't sleep last night because of it. Will definately try this tonight.

Comment

Washing your windows/mirrors etc using newspaper leaves a streak-free shine. It's allegedly something to do with the newsprint ink I think.
                              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X