No announcement yet.

Hello from just outside Cockermouth

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilbo, I'm not that far off (by lakes travel standards) down at Millom. We've got TWO micro breweries near here, one at The Green and one at Foxfield.
    Double Hic.
    In-laws are at Dacre near Pooly Bridge, anywhere near your daughter Nicos?
    Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

I have just watched the news. Cockermouth was featured. Mrs. Bell relocated to temporary premises etc. It brought the whole scenario home to me. My thoughts are with you and yours.

Comment

I've got to say, this thread IS making me want to visit Cumbria again. Real ale and beautiful hills. Fresh air. mmmmm

Reb

Comment

Glad our Cumbrian grapes are coping with the bad weather. We are all thinking about you. Hope the weather eases soon. Dexter and I will be up as soon as we can, and perhaps we can all meet up somewhere.
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Its so nice to hear its not all doom and gloom up there, Its years since we visited, We had a long weekend in Keswick about 10 years ago we keep saying we'll have to visit again, absolutely stunning place, wonderful friendly people and rather strong beer, made an interesting walk back to our digs,
            I do hope things aren't too affected by the media press and there scare mongering, it would be such a shame.

Comment

Reb, DexterDog, Ginger - bless you all, you've made my day and it isn't even coffee time!

I started this thread precisely because I wanted to encourage people to come here. I'm not personally involved in the tourism industry, but every lost visitor contributes to a potential lost job and that reduction of disposable income in the economy affects all of us.

Cockermouth is badly damaged, no getting away from that, but the rest of the Lake District is putting itself back together again very quickly, and my own town won't be too far behind.

If any of you have queries about planning a vacation next year, PM me and I will do my best to help.

Comment

I can echo the resounding praise for the local brews. We were once put off Hartley's though, by having the most atrocious pint in a local pub - back when the kids really were kids. It tasted mouldy and mousy. It must have been 15 years before we tried it again. Wonderful stuff. Must have been a terrible cellar keeper, that bloke!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I went to Uni just South of the Lakes (Lancaster) and still miss Northern Terrain (come from Bolton).

I must say, it didn't occur to me to not come to the Lakes because of this!

There's a girl on one of my horsey forums that lives just off Cockermouth High Street. Her reports sounded horrific. She said the strangest thing was seeing live reports on TV and hearing/seeing the helicopters in stereo

Comment

Whats the latest guys and gals? Is it settling down a bit now?
                    Thinking of you all.
                    Bernie
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                      Whats the latest guys and gals? Is it settling down a bit now?
                      Thinking of you all.
                      Bernie
                      Hi Bernie, thanks for asking. The amount of progress which has been made this week is staggering.

Every other town in Cumbria is up and running, waiting for visitors, lots of wonderful shops, restaurants, places to stay. For outdoor types, the first snow of the year has been seen on Bowfell, so I expect Scaffel will soon have a dusting if it doesn't already.

Cockermouth is obviously still a bit of a mess but not everywhere was flooded, only the very centre of town, and the spirit here and the way people are working together is both uplifting and very humbling.
                      Last edited by BilboWaggins; 28-12-2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

That's wonderful news BW, I'm so glad things are getting back to some sort of normality, I was asking OH Yesterday if he fancied a weekend in your neck of the woods, he said yes sometime in the spring, so that's two tourists coming back...its not a lot, but its a start..........You lot, hang in there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X