Last of a dying breed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    British manners???......interestingly so different throughout the world-remember that bank advert about different manners and offending behaviour?
    Thankyou and respect should be universal.

- out of interest, elbows on tables etc are surely hangups from Victorian days when kids should be seen ( and as little as possible)and not heard.
    I doubt the mother of a starving child in Africa would complain about her child eating with it's mouth open

Another excuse to put kids in their place????

Don't get me wrong- I think manners are important, but I've not got my head round which ones are imortantt and which ones are twee
    Discuss......
    Eating with mouth open is disgusting. I really don't want to see what you are chewing! Talking with mouth full, similarly. I agree that a lot of the rest is cultural, but some things ARE a matter of not making other people feel uncomfortable, and how can anyone be comfortable at being given the view of half-eaten food?
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
      and how can anyone be comfortable at being given the view of half-eaten food?
      Equally, people can be made to feel uncomfortable if "etiquette" is made a big thing of.

If someone comes to my house for dinner I'll give them a knife, fork and spoon and be made to feel comfortable - whereas proper etiquette would suggest that I serve with the appropriate cutlery for the various courses. Salad fork, fish knife, soup spoon, dessert spoon and so on.

Isn't etiquette a way of determining social class historically? A way of elevating the "well to do's".
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
        Isn't etiquette a way of determining social class historically? A way of elevating the "well to do's".
        Yes it is. I just like the tradition of it though.
        If we have guests I ensure that the Butler, Cornforth, briefs them on the rules in the withdrawing room beforehand

Damn, shouldn't have said that, now I really want a butler called "Cornforth"
        Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
        Snadger - Director of Poetry
        RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
        Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
        Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
        piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

You have sweetie, in Gardeners Rest
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
            Damn, shouldn't have said that, now I really want a butler called "Cornforth"
            You just wanna see what he saw.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
              You just wanna see what he saw.
              We're not onto underwear again are we????
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My mother was obsessed with table manners and as a result so am I. I used to get weird looks when eating out with my kids because they could eat correctly with a knife and fork at 12 months old. I think I finally outraged my friend though when insisting upon correct table manners on a camping trip. It was five years ago and let's just say we haven't gone camping together since.
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

How do people cope at barbecues?

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Never had one, haven't been to one for about 10 years I don't like burnt half cooked food.
                    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

Seeing people eat with their mouths open actually makes me feel queasy - I worry about them biting their tongues. Now we are on to etiquette how about commuters? Basic rule- let people off before embarking yourself - people were forcing their way onto the train at Highbury Islington before anyone had a chance to get off - what a bunch of idiots? I always enjoy accidently stamping on someones foot when they do that! I did today - on a bolshy bimbos foot - HA!!!!!Pity I only had my trainers on........

Comment

Crikey Petal, wouldn't like to get into a scrum with you
                        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                          I always enjoy accidently stamping on someones foot when they do that! I did today - on a bolshy bimbos foot - HA!!!!!Pity I only had my trainers on........
                          I've been known to do that too, used to get the metro to work and at one point I had an injured foot which meant I was using crutches to reduce the weight on my foot. Used to be fine when I got on as that was the start of the line but getting off before Manchester was another matter. It was hard enough when able bodied but I soon found that people shift very quickly following a sharp tap of a crutch on their shins

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                            Seeing people eat with their mouths open actually makes me feel queasy - I worry about them biting their tongues. Now we are on to etiquette how about commuters? Basic rule- let people off before embarking yourself - people were forcing their way onto the train at Highbury Islington before anyone had a chance to get off - what a bunch of idiots? I always enjoy accidently stamping on someones foot when they do that! I did today - on a bolshy bimbos foot - HA!!!!!Pity I only had my trainers on........
                            Same!, I just stop in the doorway and stare at them until they back off, or just provoke them by saying something like "No-one's getting on until I've got off".
                            Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support

Comment

So it was you, Ollie - I quaked in my shoes!! It is tough working out what constitutes good manners in a crowd of commuters determined to stampede!

A lot of this is deeply cultural - which means what is good manners in one culture may be a total no-no in another. Finger gestures of various kinds are a case in point!
                              Last edited by Jeanied; 21-11-2009, 02:15 PM. Reason: better layout
                              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

The Chap Manifesto

1. THOU SHALT ALWAYS WEAR TWEED. No other fabric says so defiantly: I am a man of panache, savoir-faire and devil-may-care, and I will not be served Continental lager beer under any circumstances.

2 THOU SHALT NEVER NOT SMOKE. Health and Safety "executives" and jobsworth medical practitioners keep trying to convince us that smoking is bad for the lungs/heart/skin/eyebrows, but we all know that smoking a bent apple billiard full of rich Cavendish tobacco raises one's general sense of well-being to levels unimaginable by the aforementioned spoilsports.

3 THOU SHALT ALWAYS BE COURTEOUS TO THE LADIES. A gentleman is never truly seated on an omnibus or railway carriage: he is merely keeping the seat warm for when a lady might need it. Those who take offence at being offered a seat are not really Ladies.

4 THOU SHALT NEVER, EVER, WEAR PANTALOONS DE NIMES. When you have progressed beyond fondling girls in the back seats of cinemas, you can stop wearing jeans. Wear fabrics appropriate to your age, and, who knows, you might even get a quick fumble in your box at the opera.

5 THOU SHALT ALWAYS DOFF ONE'S HAT. Alright, so you own a couple of trilbies. Good for you - but it's hardly going to change the world. Once you start actually lifting them off your head when greeting, departing or simply saluting passers-by, then the revolution will really begin.

6 THOU SHALT NEVER FASTEN THE LOWEST BUTTON ON THY WESKIT. Look, we don't make the rules, we simply try to keep them going. This one dates back to Edward VII, sufficient reason in itself to observe it.

7 THOU SHALT ALWAYS SPEAK PROPERLY. It's quite simple really. Instead of saying "Yo, wassup?", say "How do you do?"

8 THOU SHALT NEVER WEAR PLIMSOLLS WHEN NOT DOING SPORT. Nor even when doing sport. Which you shouldn't be doing anyway. Except cricket.

9 THOU SHALT ALWAYS WORSHIP AT THE TROUSER PRESS. At the end of each day, your trousers should be placed in one of Mr. Corby's magical contraptions, and by the next morning your creases will be so sharp that they will start a riot on the high street.

10 THOU SHALT ALWAYS CULTIVATE INTERESTING FACIAL HAIR. By interesting we mean moustaches, not beards

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X