No announcement yet.

Remembrance Sunday

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be wearing mine on Sunday and Weds. With my baby sister currently serving and at least one person from each generation before her serving, I feel its something to be proud of.
    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Our village is having a 'Rememberance' coffee morning tomorrow (Saturday) and we will be having a two minutes silence as part of that. This of course in addition to the main service on Sunday and Wednesday. We'll all be wearing our poppies with pride.

Comment

If anyone is interested this is the link for Heroes.

www.afghanheroes.org.uk

Comment

I will be wearing mine as always. If anyone is interested my son and his mate are walking across the Pyrenees in aid of a local hospice and Help for Heroes. Link to sponsor pages in my signature
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Have they got much support Fiona.H, they are both very worthy cause's.

Comment

I will also be honouring the 2 minute's silence on Wednesday.

My cousin, Captain Jim Philippson, was the first soldier to be killed in Helmand province of Afghanistan.
              He had been called out from Forward Operating Base Robinson as a rapid reaction unit to help a patrol who were being ambushed near Sangin and one of their unit had been injured. Before reaching their comrades Cpt Jim's unit was also ambushed and he was killed.

The MoD initially blamed his Major and were going to have him stripped of his rank until Tony, Jim's father, fought his case and after a lengthy battle showed that the failures were in a lack of basic kit, in particular night vision equipment.
              Tony's fight has been very public and he has appeared on the news several times since his son's death in June '06. He will be at the cenotaph in London on rememberance Sunday with his son David who has set up the 'Captain Jim Philippson Trust Fund', a charity which supports various charities associated with Jim, his life and his death.

He will be sadly missed.

Captain James Philippson Trust Fund

Scandal of Para Captain James Philippson's death - mirror.co.uk

Both of my grandfathers fought in the war, and I was lucky that both of them came home to tell their stories.
              My maternal Grandfather was an RAF fighter pilot whose Spitfire was shot down over occupied france, was captured by the Germans, but they put him in a concentration camp not a POW camp. He eventually escaped and joined the French resitance where he performed all the usual guerilla tactics of disrupting supply and blowing up train lines etc. He eventually returned home and raised 5 wonderful children who now dot the globe from Canada to Italy.
              My paternal grandfather landed on a French beach and was captured. He spent the entire war in a POW camp. Not such a fantastic story, but none-the-less poinient. He returned home and raised 2 sons.

I have to be thankful that both their stories turned out as they did, without them surviving neither I nor my brother, mother, father, uncles aunts and others would exist. They have both since passed away, but are survived by an eclectic mix of offspring all of whom sorely miss them.
              Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
              Snadger - Director of Poetry
              RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
              Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
              Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
              piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
                Have they got much support Fiona.H, they are both very worthy cause's.
                In just a week they have raised £172 for HFH and £135 for the hospice. So not doing too badly They are funding the trip and the training themselves so any actual cash given to them goes straight to the charities. Anything donated online goes direct as well
                WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Another forum I sometimes visit, one of the members made a comment about not needing a poppy to remember. I know what he means, but for me, the price of the poppy is the acknowledgement that "I owe them".......
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X