Found long lost relative

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found long lost relative

My sister has been searching for ages for a cousin that we last heard of years ago. We were looking for a farmer's son called Eric, Father called Harry, ( mums brother ) in desperation my sister sent for a copy of mum and dad's marriage certificate as he was a witness. Turns out he wasnt called Harry at all and we have been searching for the wrong name, Mum always called him Harry. The thing is this cousin didnt even know he had any family on his father's side, but I remember visiting the farm when I was about 11 yrs old and the son was there and he is 8 yrs older than me. He is gobsmacked and cant believe it. My sister has arranged to go to cornwall to meet him and his wife but they made it for the only day I work so she is going to try to change it. Its so exciting.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

Its mad when that happens. Funny you say cornwall as I found out over a year ago I had a brother I had never met (long story adoption before I was even a glimmer in my parents eye) and still havent met due to cicumstances, talk most days and get on fab though, but he is in falmouth in cornwall. Congratulations on finding him.
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

wow,how exciting jackie,pack the tissues,i hope eveything goes well for you all,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

In my mums family anything is possible lol my nan never married and I found out a few years ago just before mum died, that mum thought she was one of seven kids ( mum was born in 1912 ) and from the age of about 5 yrs or 7 yrs was brought up in an orphanage and the boys went to the workhouse. Yet my nan came to live with us when I was a teenager. Mum always sent her mum money when she was a child herself working below stairs.
        My mum's sister has a daughter who never knew she had a brother and sister yet we knew and they were at nans funeral. Family's lol.
        and ends with backache

Comment

family do have their little quirks,that i can voutch for lol,and many others,nothing stranger is there,but blood is much thicker than water,
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Thats lovely news.
            It'll be interesting to see who 'harry' looks like in the family!!

I've been trying to find my father's cousin who went to USA- I've even phoned a few peeps there- but no joy. He'd be around 90 now so I doubt he'd be alive- but may have a widow or children.
            I'd love to find him/his family- also where my mom's uncle went to ...those are the only 2 family members who we have lost track of...

.....I can imagine your excitement at finding Harry Jackie!!!!!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

What a lovely story Jackie - I hope it all goes well for you

Failing that, I have some relatives that you're welcome to adopt, should you feel the urge
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Ooh well done! It just shows that persistence pays off!

I received the contact details of a dear friend I lost contact with 5 yrs ago, when I left my ex. I've so far been scared to phone. No idea why, but my phone phobia doesn't help!

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
                  Ooh well done! It just shows that persistence pays off!

I received the contact details of a dear friend I lost contact with 5 yrs ago, when I left my ex. I've so far been scared to phone. No idea why, but my phone phobia doesn't help!

Phone!!!...now!!!!!....go on.....NO EXCUSES!!!!

( and when they're not in cos they're at work, you'll feel braver next time!!)
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Harry was my mum's brother, he died in 1969 after having a heart attack whilst driving his tractor and the tractor ran over him. Eric who is now 62 is the son and its him we have been searching for. Tried all sorts of ways but didnt have any details, couldnt remember the name of the farm although knew it was in the bodmin area. Uncle Harry as we all knew him had a different name which we found on mum and dads marriage certificate. ( I say we, but my sister and bil have done all the work ). Sent off for death certificate and it gave all the details we were looking for. Even harry's wife who we called aunt Dow ( we thought short for Dorothy ) had a different name.
                    If you are searching its worth remembering that not everyone goes by the name that might be on the birth certificate. My ex mil and her brother and sister had three christian names, mil being the eldest was known by her first name, her brother was known by his second name and her sister was known by her third name, so unless you have these details it becomes very hard to trace someone.
                    Hoping to visit cousin withn the next couple of weeks, he had no idea he had other family members, should be quite emotional and interesting.
                    and ends with backache

Comment

I found out that my mum had a half sister a few years ago that my mum knew nothing about from my grandad's first marriage (which we also knew nothing about!). So basically my mum was in her 70s before she even knew she had a sister, 2 nieces, 3 nephews and loads of family from all of that lot. All hidden from her as a child, probably due to the shame of divorce etc in the 1930s.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X