X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please folks, don't assume that just because you:
    a) carry a donor card, or
    b) have just told your next of kin
    that your wishes will be takin into account in time.

For organs to be in a good enough condition to use, they have to be 'harvested' (such an ugly phrase) within a very short amount of time. They simply can't wait to go through all your belongings, ask all your relatives or read your will to discover your wishes. Signing on the register is the best way of ensuring that your registration is acknowledged in time.

EDIT: If you're unsure, there's no harm registering twice...maybe they'll get two hearts off you!
    Last edited by OllieMartin; 03-11-2009, 02:28 PM.
    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
    Snadger - Director of Poetry
    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

I dont mind at all in fact Im really happy you have posted ollie. It is amazing that so many of you are on the register. Its all about saving lives guys, and that is the best cause there is!
      http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

I'm sure I'm on the register already, but I've just done it again. As a cyclist, some people assume I am already an organ donor
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by zebedee View Post
          Instead of people volunteering to 'opt into' organ donation, hence the 27%, why not make it automatic that useful organs WILL be harvested from people, but give them the choice to 'opt out'. If any one has a serious objection to donating an organ, carry a card that says so! Anybody without a card can then be assumed to be a willing donor. Of course there will have to be checks in place to make sure the person hasn't forgotten their card, but even so, will that not go a long way to solving the problem?
          There is a whole section on this on the NHSBT website:
          NHSBT - Organ Donation - Opt In or Opt Out
          There is an Organ Donation Taskforce who is investigating this "presumed consent" concept and its moral and medical issues.

I would agree that it is a better idea. That's what they use in Sweden.
          Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support

Comment

I am a big believer & have been for years that the doner service has got it the wrong way round. I believe that everyone should be eligable to donate unless you opt "out". Obviously I am aware that certain cultures would not permit donation & should automatically be opted out.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
              I believe religous constraint is the main, active, reason why people don't register.

I take it it's still functioning ok? That's alway nice to hear. I expect he's got an incredible scar to show for it too. (Maybe it's a guy-thing, or just me, but scars great. Every one tells a story, there is nothing like having a lethal weapon 3 style 'scar-off' and his would be a trump card!)
              He is having few probs with blood pressure and kidney function at the mo, but he is seeing his docs and they are taking steps to keep on top of it.

Bro has actually had 2 transplants, the first was in October 1996, on my ninteenth birthday to be precise, but he only had it for a year before it rejected and he had to go back on dialysis. He was incredibly lucky to get a second chance when another came up in March 2009. He had some problems in the first year with the occasional trip to ITU, but things settled down and he has been fine since. Even had a nipper which was wonderful cos he was told he'd probably never be a dad.
              He has two 13" scars on his front, one each side starting about navel height, and going down to the groin where the kidneys were sited, and various others all over him from lines, grafts, miscellaneaous mishaps as a kid etc. My fave was when he was on dialysis and had a fistula in his arm, if you pressed it you could feel it vibrating/buzzing
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
                He is having few probs with blood pressure and kidney function at the mo, but he is seeing his docs and they are taking steps to keep on top of it.

Bro has actually had 2 transplants, the first was in October 1996, on my ninteenth birthday to be precise, but he only had it for a year before it rejected and he had to go back on dialysis. He was incredibly lucky to get a second chance when another came up in March 2009. He had some problems in the first year with the occasional trip to ITU, but things settled down and he has been fine since. Even had a nipper which was wonderful cos he was told he'd probably never be a dad.
                He has two 13" scars on his front, one each side starting about navel height, and going down to the groin where the kidneys were sited, and various others all over him from lines, grafts, miscellaneaous mishaps as a kid etc. My fave was when he was on dialysis and had a fistula in his arm, if you pressed it you could feel it vibrating/buzzing
                If you don't mind me asking; why was he told he couldn't be a dad?
                Do they know what caused the kidney failure in the first place?

Comment

TS - I'd thought about the oath too... though there are many doctors who don't follow it strictly (but that's a very polarised debate and not one for this thread, I feel).

The main thing I mean when I say I harbour that fear a little bit is having seen doctors effectively "give up" on their patient (my Granddad had "Do Not Resuscitate" written on his charts - something only taken down after a hard fought argument by his daughter).
                  After his initial "less than 24 hours to live" moved on into "days" and then "weeks" they gave up predicting his death and wrote him off as a vegetable (well, they said "permenant vegetative state" but still).
                  5 and a half years later, after starting first to move, then to smile and then to speak he finally died at home with his family.

At one point in his initial hospital stay someone (a doctor? I can't remember now) actually used the words "taking up a bed" to my father and aunt. "That person 'taking up a bed' is my FATHER!" came the rebuke.

That's no slur against the medical profession, just one of my experiences where they've got it completely wrong and given up on someone too soon. It's that which makes me wonder if they (some not all) might give up that bit sooner on organ donors.

It's the one thing that's got me in 2 minds. In principle I'm absolutely all for organ donation; just like I'm for blood and marrow donation (I'm on the marrow register) - it's the niggling feeling and past experiences of doctors giving up on a patient in spite of the evidence that makes me question it.

Sad, I know, but there you have it.

Comment

If you don't mind me asking; why was he told he couldn't be a dad?
                    Do they know what caused the kidney failure in the first place?
                    His kidney failure is caused by Alport Syndrome. Its genetic,carried through female family members but affecting males. If I were to ever have a son I would have to have him tested for it.
                    Alport syndrome

As for him being told he wouldn't be a dad (I've just rung my mum to clarify this!), thats what he told me when we were talking a few years back, because a drug he was given had a good chance of making him sterile. He just assumed he was because his first wife never got pregnant, so when current wife did it was a nice surprise.
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

There is a whole section on this on the NHSBT website:
                      NHSBT - Organ Donation - Opt In or Opt Out
                      There is an Organ Donation Taskforce who is investigating this "presumed consent" concept and its moral and medical issues.

I would agree that it is a better idea. That's what they use in Sweden.
                      I had a read of that article last night. Interesting stuff.

I quite like the idea of the "required request" system they mention is in place in the USA. It could probably be a good middle ground between opt in and opt out. I didn't get from the article if they had considered that system too.

Any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by organic View Post
                        I had a read of that article last night. Interesting stuff.

I quite like the idea of the "required request" system they mention is in place in the USA. It could probably be a good middle ground between opt in and opt out. I didn't get from the article if they had considered that system too.

Any idea?
                        I think it's all under consideration. With such a multi-cultural society; such a large change in policy will be sure to anger some group, whether religious, medical or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                          At 60 I'm too old (all my "bits" worn out)
                          I did carry a donor card when I was younger.
                          Bubblewrap, I think I heard on the radio recently that the cut off age is 75? Perhaps I misheard - does anyone know?
                          My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I think you're right, people donate into their 70's and 80's. Some organs are 'better' than others as you age, but you can still definately donate.
                            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

According to the organ donation website, there is no age limit on donation whatsoever.

Re the concerns some people are stating over doctors being more interested in your organs that you. It is up to doctors totally independant from the transplant team and death is diagnosed by brain stem tests by by two experienced doctors. Suppose there is always a slight risk but if you start worrying too much about things then it'll prevent you doing anything and giving up something you don't need is a very good thing.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X