No announcement yet.

(Mis)Use of the word CARP

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite a few Grapes say 'carp' instead of cr@p. It's from back in the days when the forum used to automatically edit out certain words. I don't think it's turned on anymore, but personally, I'd rather they were self-censored like that. Quite a lot of folks don't appreciate seeing the 4 lettered words scattered around willy-nilly

Comment

wiley-niley - surely?

Comment

Er, yeah, what she said ^

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Oh I don't know, I've added it to my cool words list along with bored beans!

The original word originated from Thomas Crapper I believe who used to manufacture toilets?
          I've had PMs from the odd Grape or two telling me I mis-spelt Bored Beans.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            I've had PMs from the odd Grape or two telling me I mis-spelt Bored Beans.
            Its all wellies fault, she started it!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I guess the point is that this is a public forum, open to all, including minors. By using the carp euphamism we are not introducing anyone to a "naughty" word, but those that are old enough will understand from the context.

But then I was criticised for making a joke about fish stew and I don't see how that could have corrupted minors or anyone who didn't already understand the under-lying concept.
              There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

i really was only trying to protect carp from abuse....just because they are fish doesnt mean we should take their name in vane/vein/vain...after all none of us would use a vegetable name in that way, now would we? (except snadger possibly)
                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Hmmm... I understood it HotStuff, and it made me want to barf. I wasn't alone in the reaction

Comment

Well it all sounds a bit fishy to me

sorry, off to bed now lol X

Comment

No offense to any fish implied. Honest. Just an easier way to not use swear words.
                      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Well. I'm an old fashioned fuddy duddy.
                        I take carp to be a way of gettinng round cr@p.
                        That's a swear in my book.
                        But the F word is everywhere and the C word is not far behind. The B words went out the window long ago.
                        We get what we deserve if we don't complain.
                        I see no need for that kind of language and challenge it where I can.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jardiniere View Post
                          i really was only trying to protect carp from abuse....just because they are fish doesnt mean we should take their name in vane/vein/vain
                          And it's greatly appreciated..........
                          Last edited by Bigmallly; 07-04-2010, 10:36 AM.
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Personally, I think it's a load of pollocks.

*****Getting coat now.
                            Last edited by maytreefrannie; 01-11-2009, 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling
                            My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

And Cod you please stop being so Crabby about it!!

Comment

Must admit that when it comes to mis-spelling 'bad' words, I tend to think 'what is the point?' (although I CAN see the point when evading auto-editing software). Is it actually any better to say "sugar" if you really mean "sh1t"?
                                Now if you prefer to play with the thesaurus, I will join in! (organic fertilizer..........?)
                                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X