Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodenticides and wildlife

Hello all
    I read a horrible (but informative) letter in the CLA magazine, where the writer had lost 2 broods of Barn Owls, and had other unexplained dead animals (Kestrals / Hedgehogs)
    He had post mortems done on the owls and it was Rodenticide poisoning.
    I had no idea that this happened, and having done some more research (see here)
    I am going home tonight to take away all our poison, and put down traps instead. We have a rat problem, like so many others, but there are obviously better ways.
    The thing that worried me most was the writer also felt that the slugs were eating the poison, (with no ill-effect) and then the animals were eating the slugs - with devastating results.
    I wasn't sure where to post this, so Mods, if you feel it is better placed elsewhere please move, repost - but I am sure there are lots of others like me who didn't know and would not want this to happen.
    Thanks
    Annie

compost of the future.........

What will you do with the trapped animals?

My friend's father has trapped and shot 30 squirrels in his huge garden this summer.

There is a rodent killer which doesn't affect any animal which eats the poisoned vermin. I am considering getting this myself as I know I have rats in my garden but I am concerned about my dogs, cat and chickens getting secondary poisoning.

When I can remember/find the name of it I will post it here.
    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

I think it's Eradi-bait. It's approved by the Barn Owl trust.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

We used an organic rat 'poison' made from corn cobs. Only problem was we couldn't get the rats to eat enough of the stuff - quite a large dose was needed and just couldn't eliminate all other food sources

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post

There is a rodent killer which doesn't affect any animal ...................

It's called a cricket bat!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            I think it's Eradi-bait. It's approved by the Barn Owl trust.
            That's it. Thanks Flummery

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            It's called a cricket bat!
            I only wish I was quick enough to splat a rat
            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

I've taken a poker to the occasional 'cornered' rat, but the problem is getting close enough to use it. Poison is sometimes the only viable option, although I really hate having to take that approach. Here isn't so bad. I can't imagine any half-poisoned rat from here gfettign where any wild predator would catch it, but in more 'open' locations, the risk is serious.
              Sugar-beet pulp, kept dry, is supposed to work, or a mix of something dry-but-tasty and plaster-of-paris powder. Neither is exactly toxic, but each reacts with water inside the rat's digestive system to kill it (nasty, but effective, and the dead rat is not poisonous to a predator)
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Cats work but there is the issue of collateral damage.....
                The cats' valet.

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
                  What will you do with the trapped animals?

My friend's father has trapped and shot 30 squirrels in his huge garden this summer.

There is a rodent killer which doesn't affect any animal which eats the poisoned vermin. I am considering getting this myself as I know I have rats in my garden but I am concerned about my dogs, cat and chickens getting secondary poisoning.

When I can remember/find the name of it I will post it here.
                  The deadsters get buried or incinerated, but it isn't pleasant, just necessary!

Agreed about the squirrels - there are masses of them this year!
                  Annie

compost of the future.........

Comment

The council have been putting down bait for the rats on the allotment and as I was sitting with my hens, I could see a rat crawling through the grass on the other side of the hen fence, it was extremely disorientated, panting heavily and the flies were already in for the kill. It was also obviously past caring that it was out in the open.

As every my squeamishness and inability to kill it left me feeling cruel and heartless and I know its a rat but even so, not a pleasant way to go.
                    I wonder why poison is the only way, is there no thought given to dosing them to be sterile or releasing sterile rats to cut the populations. God knows what poison was being used, just hope that it doesn't harm anything else, will have to patrol the allotment to check for dead rats now in case the hens get to them first.

Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X