TENS (sp?) Machines.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TENS (sp?) Machines.

Does anyone know what a TENS machine is and would it help someone (me) with severe arthritis in both hips? OH says they have them in Lloyds Chemist's at the moment and they are on a half price offer. I wouldn't normally mess around with unorthodox things, I just keep swallowing the anti-inflammatories, but for the past three days I've been pretty much immobilized with it and the pain has been far, far worse than usual, so I'm at the point where I'll try anything. I'm really becoming quite scared by the whole thing, I have absolutely no indoor interests at all and the thoughts that I won't be able to use the greenhouse, go to the lottie, see my chickens, go camping or take our grandson places is terrifying. I'm a lot better today, but I'm still feeling quite depressed as I just keep thinking that the past 3 days have been a taste of the future.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Hope this link helps Bluemoon.
    I would suggest you ask your Dr to refer you to a Rheumatologist before it gets any worse.

TENS Machines | Health | Patient UK
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Why not go to your GP- ask if you can be referred to a physio who could try one out on you to see if it helps. Everyone is different and you need to be shown where to put the electrodes.

I've seen fantastic results with them ...1/3 peeps said they were fantastic, 1/3 said they helped a bit and the other 1/3 said they were a waste of time for them.
      Best to see if you can borrow one first- although- how much are they now ??£30???..they used to be £100 when they first came out!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Please go see your GP.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi Bluemoon. I use a TENS machine regularly (got it from Lloyds when they were last on offer), and love it to bits! I use it as I have a very duff back and SI joint. I went to a physio years ago after injuring my back and he put me on one, hence why I got my own one recently. I would definately speak to your doctor before specifically using it on your hips (I take it you're having treatment for them) just incase there are any sort of contra-indications involved. It's great for relieving muscle spasms and pain associated with them, which can be caused by acute joint problems. Hope you get relief soon...

Comment

You can hire them. Why not check that option? You might love it or hate it! My only experience of them is trying it during labour with first baby - it lasted about 30 seconds with me and I preferred to have nothing rather the TENS. Other people rave about them, so deffo down to the individual.

Can you get some seed catalogues out and have a meander through them? Might be a bit soothing and get you thinking of brighter things.

And yep, maybe a trip to the GP is in order... hope you pick up soon.
            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

PM sent.......

PS forgot to mention in PM : December....
              Last edited by RedThorn; 29-10-2009, 12:01 PM.
              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

A friend of mine used one for labour and she thought it was brilliant, but I'm not sure about how good they are for joint pain. Have you thought about consulted DeBra? They are a charity involved in pain management and alleviation. I don't know how feasible steroid injections are for joint pain? I would certainly be asking your GP. It sounds awful and I hope you get something sorted, soon. xx

Comment

Like others I bought my TENS machine from Lloyds in the last sale (also bought the spare pads in the sale). Use it as I have a dodgy back, it just blocks the pain

Comment

I got mine from Lloyds for my bad back. A bit weird to get used to, but does the trick when my back/sciatica gets really bad.
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I got one years ago from my Physio for my bad back.
                      Utterly useless (for me: my pain was too spread out, over too large an area for the pulse to block the pain signals)

Also the sticky pads kept falling off, and I couldn't reach to attach it myself each day anyway.

Try it and see? You don't need to see your GP first, but they will advise you how best to use it (like, don't turn it all the way up until you vibrate)
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Got one (well 2, got a new one in Lloyd's last sale because the first had gone AWOL, then, as per S*d's Law, original reappeared).
                        Great for 'localised' pain (doesn't work for everyone). Helps with my rheumaticky shoulder (35 years ago it got wrenched when I came off a horse and held onto the reins), but not as effective as the 'supplements' for joint ailments. GMX (Glucosamine and a few other ingredients) and Celadrin for last month have made great inroads into the way I normally feel this time of year.
                        TENS are better for genuinely 'muscle' aches. I've used it on back-aache, and it is great!

PS it stands for Transcutaneous Electronic Neural Stimulation (or something close), meaning that the nerves are 'pestered' with a small electric current until they get bored and stop telling you things hurt.
                        Last edited by Hilary B; 31-10-2009, 04:34 PM. Reason: PS
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

hmmm..the next step on is an Interferential- same size- but more anti-imflammatory- not sure if they are available to the general public yet...but they are certainly the bees knees- but cost a whole lot more!

Good luck- I really hope the TNS helps!!
                          Last edited by Nicos; 31-10-2009, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                            the nerves are 'pestered' with a small electric current until they get bored and stop telling you things hurt.
                            then I shall try it on Himself
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              then I shall try it on Himself
                              ....but watch out for his taste buds!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X