No announcement yet.

My new addiction

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay BM - 5 days today isn't it? Keep going!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I stopped in january 2007(1018 days ago)
      I found that a little piece of software like this:
      Xarka - QuitCounter Homepage

Helped as it recorded milestones for me.
      The biggest reason for using it was that it showed me how many cigs i would have smoked if i had'nt stopped.
      I smoked around 25 a day and if i had continued at this rate for the 1018 days then i would have smoked nearly 25,500 cigs in this time

That disgusting thought helps to keep me away from them.

Good luck with stopping,It is amazing how quickly you can feel the benefits!(in eating particularly)

Steve
      Last edited by stevemac; 30-10-2009, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Yes 5 days I feeling pretty good, I forgot what it felt like to actualy breathe.

BumbleB: I know what you mean about it being an oral thing, it is a hand thing for me so everytime I get a craving, I log onto the vine & it really does help (That's why I started the thread to thank everyone). Have you thought about an inhalor or Nu-Cig. I have heard great results from Nu-Cig.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I tried one of those patch's once when I was giving up, I was going out with the girls who at the time most of them smoked, so I thought why not use a patch just in case I got a craving, to cut a long story down, I forgot I'd got it on and had a ciggy....not a good idea, I felt really ill and had to go home.
          The support that's available now is great and most of its free, as in support groups, our N.H.S has one B.M, I'm sure that the N.H.S in Leeds will have one too, it might be a good idea to get in touch with them, ask at your Dr's they should have some advice for you, plus you might get extra support from them...its worth a go.
          5 days now mate..well done you, so proud of you. xx
          Last edited by ginger ninger; 30-10-2009, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
            The support that's available now is great and most of its free, as in support groups, our N.H.S has one B.M, I'm sure that the N.H.S in Leeds will have one too, it might be a good idea to get in touch with them, ask at your Dr's they should have some advice for you, plus you might get extra support from them...its worth a go.
            5 days now mate..well done you, so proud of you. xx
            That's exactly what I am doing Ginger, I must have neglected to mention it. I thought I had mentioned it in a previous post but it is exellent advice. Thanks.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

The key to giving up (anything) is to want to stop more than you want the next whatever-it-is. Easy for a minute, increasingly difficult as time goes on, if you truly ENJOY your addiction. If it is 'addiction' in the true sense (as opposed to the colloquial sense we use so often), then eventually the desire fades, but does it ever really go away?
              Me, I'm addicted (in the colloquial sense) to tasty food, and I can't manage 'wanting to lose weight' for very long when there is something delicious tempting me. It isn't WILL power, it's WON'T power!
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I agree with you there Hilary...I'd like to be thinner- but I love my food. I hate the choice of clothes in my size ( NB- I'm not enormous!!!) but I just can't find my sized tops over here in France ( Proud to be big 'n all that!!!)..all seem to be size6-12

so..I think- OK....I'll eat and drink less..and then am presented with the most delicious food ever..and just take a small portion...of each course!!!!.
                Yup- and I enjoy the odd luxury nibbles.

If I were a horse I'd be considered 'a good doer'...ie not needing much food....problem is I work up a huge appetite- and watch peeps ( who clearly need worming) tuck in.

I'm clearly like the Red /Native Indians of North America...genetically used to fugal portions of food for centuries ( farm labourers according to my family tree) ..and just look at food- and put on weight.

My question is..why on earth would I decline a yummy dish of home grown spuds rolled in butter, cream and chives???

Hmm...'won't power' ???
                Last edited by Nicos; 31-10-2009, 05:07 PM.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi BM - we're up to six days aren't we - still going strong? Nearly your first week.
                  You are stronger than me - my 'won't power' has deserted me and I've begun piling on the pounds in time for winter!

Comment

Hi BM, you're doing great. I gave up several years ago and went cold turkey. It doesnt really matter how you do it so long as it works for you.
                    What kept me going through the first few weeks was the thought of having just one and then having to go through the same thing all over again.
                    It worked for me.
                    Anyway, when tomorrow cones you'll be able to say, "I gave up ciggies in October"

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Cheers Guys........Have had my worst day today so far but have not given in, just kept logging onto the vine for 10 mins. Bet the mods were sick of seeing me....Oh no not him again..

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        Cheers Guys........Have had my worst day today so far but have not given in, just kept logging onto the vine for 10 mins. Bet the mods were sick of seeing me....Oh no not him again..
                        Nooo..you're a fun person!!...wait another couple of weeks and we'll be into the festive postings!!!...hold yr breath- will be worth it!!!!!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          Nooo..you're a fun person!!...wait another couple of weeks and we'll be into the festive postings!!!...hold yr breath- will be worth it!!!!!
                          Cheers Nicos.........Merry Christmas..........

Comment

Hi BM - you are a total hero, giving up is the hardest thing to do and you need total respect for that - and by Christmas you will have enough saved to do whatever you want with your savings!

Comment

Mrs Bigmally has already spent it as she is on week 3 & needs all the goodies she can manage......wine, chocs, shoes, handbags.....you know how it goes........

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                                Have had my worst day today so far
                                oh dear. Why was that? Cravings, or stress, or boredom?
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X