No announcement yet.

Poppies ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that's interesting- they don't seem to have anything like that over here- although the 11th November is a 'Bank Holiday'

Will certainly be wearing a poppy in the UK as we are over there during that week ( I hope ).

I also think it's important to try and find out what your relatives did during WWII ..and also the few who survived WWI ( but clearly as civilians)..or at least research a little into any battles fought by our servicemen since that time.It certainly makes me feel humble..and grateful.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos, I remember a conversation with a French workmate when I lived in Chamonix. She explained to us that particular day was special, when asked why she said "this is the day we won the war."
      "'We?' as in 'France'?"
      "Of course."

The date?
      May 7th.

The few Englishmen around exchanged glances and politely (genuinely polite too) pointed out that France might have had a little bit of help.
      She seemed quite offended by the suggestion.

It seems the French have some odd ideas and traditions around the two wars.

Certainly we should feel grateful when thinking about WW1 and WW2. Regardless of the things that the war precipitated, good or bad, we should be grateful we weren't required to go and fight (or in the case of the former, weren't told to walk towards German machine guns - "no running chaps")
      It's heartbreaking to see the freedoms so many died to protect being squandered now.

I'll be wearing one.
      Last edited by organic; 26-10-2009, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Wear mine on the left, always have done. Nothing else to get in the way, apart from my white and pink ribbons.

Comment

Hi HF - thanks for raising this thread - it has been really interesting to read all the responses. If it is any help, the TV is full of presenters wearing their poppies and all the females are wearing theirs pinned on the left too. I would wear my late OH's medals too but I forgot where I put 'em .
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
            Hey Piskie (if you are about ) would you ask SD please.
            sorry, not been around today - I wear mine on my shoulder (hand) bag so that I don't have to keep changing it over, being a girl on one not hundreds of bags

SD says it doesn't really matter - so stick it somewhere it can be seen
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Where you wear you poppy is immaterial. Just get out ther and buy, spending plenty of money in the process.

valmarg

Comment

and if you want something a little different

aka
                Suzie

Comment

I like those Piskie, where can they be found please? I think the boys would prefer that to a poppy.

I always stick my poppy through the tab of a jacket zip - its that or jab myself on the ruddy pin all the time

Madmax and I spend November 11 in Holland one year, we were both wearing poppies (so was the car) and we stopped dead at 11am and observed our minute silence. Many Dutch people gave us strange looks but were interested to find that it is a British tradition to remember the fallen of the wars. When we lived in Atlanta we asked the boys' schools if they could allow them to observe a minute silence at 11am on 11.11 explaining why we do it. Elder son never said if he did or not but younger son's school made it a minute silence for the whole school!
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

I think as long as you buy one it doesn't really matter which side you wear it. I think I usually pin mine on the left, don't know if it's the correct side, my late Dad was a captain in the army , joined in the 1930s, left in the 1950s so I suppose I'm classed as military family?
                    I was horrified yesterday when I went in our local Co-op store & was told by the lady serving that the poppy collection box had just been stolen at 9.00 that morning, they hadn't noticed at the time until a gent asked where to put his money. They've got the scumbag thief on camera though so hopefully they'll be able to identify him & he'll get his just rewards!
                    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                      ...where can they be found please?
                      click on the picture, I dropped the link onto it
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

The weather lady on the BBC on the telebox who insists on pronouncing Northern Ireland as "Arlend" was wearing a sparkly poppy t'other day.

I think LadyWayne fancies one.
                        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Well I'm bucking the trend 'cause mine's in the middle (wearing a polo shirt and it's in the button hole) mid boob
                          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                            Well I'm bucking the trend 'cause mine's in the middle (wearing a polo shirt and it's in the button hole) mid boob
                            Wherever it will stay, but if it is feasible to choose, it goes on the left. SSince I rely on button holes or zip tags, it is mostly 'in the middle'.
                            Right now, on the computer, top of screen, held in place by the web-cam I never use....
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Does it really matter left or right. I gave up trying to be 'correct' about anything many years ago. Wear the poppy with pride, just carry it your pocket or even buy it and leave it at home. Tis so true that it's the thought that counts.

Comment

Just before coming to the vine I read this article on the BBC site about poppy etiquette.
                                Me I wear mine on the left only because its easier to pin it.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X